Apple Watch Related Health Monitors
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By scentedlead

Thread: Apple Watch Related Health Monitors

Apple Watch Related Health Monitors

General purpose thread for Apple Watch related health monitors. Starting with page 87 on Switzerland is in trouble: Apple watch is beautiful and useful where a discussion on diabetes monitoring starts and turned up nothing that’s uninvasive that could be put into a smartwatch, am gonna go a little further and point out two products that currently exist, even if they aren’t on sale yet.

AliveCor’s Kardia Band

An AW band that takes your EKG reading with a thumb press. I know a few people who could benefit from instant EKG analysis.

The company’s smartphone attachments sell for around $100 if you buy the sensor and case together, so I’d guess the Kardia Band would sell for a similar price. Sadly, the website’s online store says, “Not for sale. Not FDA cleared.”

Bactrack Skyn

This wearable measures transdermal alcohol content (TAC) and then converts that number to a corresponding blood alcohol content (BAC). The company claims that unlike breathalyzers which measure intoxication at a fixed point in time, their wearable measures your intoxication constantly and its apps will show it to you in real time—you can take a drink and stare at an app to see its effects on you in real time. On the website, they have a video of a prototype product and a prototype app, and they look nifty.

Bactrack showed off this wearable at CES 2017, and they’re expecting it to go on sale this summer for $99.

Back to the diabetes discussion in the Switzerland is in trouble thread, like the current products for diabetes management, both the Kardia Band and Skyn are add-ons to the AW. But unlike the diabetes management products which require a small ..... constantly under your skin and therefore are things that can’t be put into a watch—although at least there are phone and watch apps that show you your data—the Kardia Band and Skyn are completely non-invasive sensors. The Kardia Band works with a thumb press and the Skyn, according to the company’s video, works best when pressed against the inside of the inside of the wrist. Eventually, these are sensors that might eventually be miniaturized into a smartwatch.

But even if they never are miniaturized and make it into smartwatches, the fact that these are available as watch bands tells how much these companies think the watch is a natural place for health monitoring.

Re: Apple Watch Related Health Monitors

These are super cool, not really sure how the EKG one would benefit as only a doctor would be able to use it, so you'd have to send it to your doctor every time? The alcohol one is really really awesome.

IIRC, the phone apps have a send to doctor feature. You could also collect the data to show to your doctor at your next visit. But the cool thing is, you can collect data on your own, living your life, and not just at a medical office, and that’s where the value lies.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I expect that new sensors will gradually be added to the straps so that these can get through the slow certification processes independently of the watch.

Moderator German Watches Forum

Quote Originally Posted by MrDagon007 View Post
    I expect that new sensors will gradually be added to the straps so that these can get through the slow certification processes independently of the watch.
    The Apple watch has a carefully designed mechanical platform. I think
    placing sensors in the strap would require new power, new charging,
    and new communications designs. I am going to be surprised if that
    happens. I expect it would be more practical to rev the watch.

Thanks,
    rationaltime

There’s a connection port where the straps click into place and that’s how battery straps worked. Apple hasn’t officially opened up the port to 3rd party devs so, those who use that port are skating on thin ice, should Apple make changes to it that breaks the product which is all and well for something that has no official support from Apple.
    ronalddheld likes this.

There is indeed the currently unused connector, and I read some hints that go in the direction of strap based sensors. It makes sense, the stras could be independently certified.

I suppose there’s a speed bump if the data went from sensor to watch, instead of from sensor to phone to watch. But doesn’t that mean the watch itself might need more storage to store the data and processing power to analyze the data? For a smart thermometer, the Kinsa stick thermometer is as small as it is because all it does is take the temperature while phone does all the heavy work of storing and analyzing and displaying it.

Moderator German Watches Forum

Quote Originally Posted by scentedlead View Post
    I suppose there’s a speed bump if the data went from sensor to watch, instead of from sensor to phone to watch. But doesn’t that mean the watch itself might need more storage to store the data and processing power to analyze the data? For a smart thermometer, the Kinsa stick thermometer is as small as it is because all it does is take the temperature while phone does all the heavy work of storing and analyzing and displaying it.
    Apple Watch has 8GB memory and a dual core processor running the ARM
    instruction set. If half that memory were available to the user the watch
    could store 1MB per day for the next 10 years without filling the memory.
    I think it would have trouble capturing that much temperature, heart rate,
    cardiogram, or skin conductance data. The CPU seems adequate for
    analyzing the data, but of course the analysis could be confounded to the
    point of paralysis, which might drain the battery. It may be better to
    upload the data to some other place.

Thanks,
    rationaltime

sounds pretty cool. Look forward to whats next.

Thread Information