Apple Watch Series 5 - Page 5
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Apple Watch Series 5

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Re: Apple Watch Series 5

Iím genuinely surprised by the always-on display. Iíll have to watch the presentation and see if they explain how it would avoid burn-in. Iíve never felt like I needed it anyway, but I suppose itíd be nice for when my wife wants to check the time from across the dinner table (for example).

About time it got a compass, too. Been wishing for one ever since they added GPS.

Iíd like the new titanium case, of course ó but like I said before, this is a bundle of cash to spend on a gadget.

Seriously, though... the amount of functionality theyíve been able to add every year without tanking battery life ó or making it obscenely fatter ó is amazing. Having total control over designing the CPU and the OS pays big dividends.

HAQ and AW moderator

Good comments, Barracks.
    Looks like I have to wait until Friday before VZW will preorder one. Cannot afford the Ceramic if I upgrade every couple of years, and not certain about the white color. Is the TI worth ~$200 more?

Quote Originally Posted by ronalddheld View Post
    always on display, i'm in. have to decide on case, when the presentation on iPhone is over
    https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/...atch-series-5/
    Always on sounds good except for the 18 hour battery life. I charge my 4 every other day, and it doesn't take long to charge. Not sure I'm willing to give up that level of autonomy in something I bought primary as a health monitor.

On the other hand, I have no idea what sort of life Apple claim for the series 4, nor how long it takes to charge a 5. In any case, I'll hold off buying until we see what the reviews say about real world battery life in the 5. Can always-on be disabled?

Didn't get the chance to watch any of the event. Were any health features added to the 5?
    - Stephen

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by watchcrank View Post
    On the other hand, I have no idea what sort of life Apple claim for the series 4,...
    They've been saying 18 hours for every model including the first generation. I think I've gotten close to that low number once, and that was taking my Series 4 by itself, without the phone, for a full day. The rest of the time it's like yours, charging maybe every other day.
    watchcrank likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
    They've been saying 18 hours for every model including the first generation. I think I've gotten close to that low number once, and that was taking my Series 4 by itself, without the phone, for a full day. The rest of the time it's like yours, charging maybe every other day.
    That's very reassuring, thanks. I've come late to the Apple Watch party and have much to learn.
    - Stephen

Briefly (about to update my phone) ó

AW5 uses what they call an LTPO display. Supposedly an exclusive, and it might avoid the burn-in associated with OLED.

Series 5 Officially announced!

So the Apple Watch Series 5 is officially announced. New options are available, and after watching the presentation, I will go over them here.

The newest features:

I think the biggest news is always on display! I think a lot of people aren't crazy about the blank screen showing most of the time. Im wondering if this feature alone brings people over that were on the fence before.

Compass- Great for maps, and opened it for developers to be able to integrate it in their apps.

New Finishes:
    Now 100% recycled aluminum
    2 versions of brushed strengthened titanium: Titanium color, space black titanium with DLC coating
    Ceramic White is back

Everything else is pretty much the same.

Same battery Life
    same size as series 4, same thickness as series 4.

This was more of an evolution then a revolution. The reviews are sating this is a minor update similar to what you get with an S year for iPhones.

You can now purchase an Apple Watch completely configured with the case and strap choices you prefer. I have a number of straps, and wish they would release it with case only.

I preordered one. I love my Series 4 Space Black, and I love the idea of always on with the same battery life. I ordered the Space Black on Black sports strap as I do every year with these and typically swap the strap with my Space Black Steel Link Bracelet. It has stood the test of time and wish watch manufacturers would adapt something similar to the sizing.. I personally like the weight if the steel, I was tempted with Titanium, but was never a big fan of the weight.

So what do you all think? Did you preorder? What configuration did you go with? Are you picking up in the store, or having it shipped?
    watchcrank likes this.
    Apple Watch Space Black Series 4 w/ LTE
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600C Speed
    Casio G-Shock GMW-B5000GD-1JF
    Casio G-Shock GWF-1000-1DR Frogman

Casio G-Shock GW-7900B-1 Rescue
    Citizen ATO810-55X
    Omega SeaMaster Pro Ceramic 212.30.41.20.01.003
    Omega Seamaster Pro Bond Quartz 2221.80
    Omega Speedmaster Co Axial Moon Watch 311.33.44.51.01.002

Seiko SKA625
    Seiko Velatura SNAA93
    Seiko V701

Check out my video reviews at:
    www.youtube.com/dougfnj
    Twitter: @DougFNJ

Re: Series 5 Officially announced!

Quote Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
    I think the biggest news is always on display! I think a lot of people aren't crazy about the blank screen showing most of the time. Im wondering if this feature alone brings people over that were on the fence before.
    Probably not, IMO. People have had five years to decide if they even want to try an AW, and the not-always-on display was a small excuse.

You can now purchase an Apple Watch completely configured with the case and strap choices you prefer. I have a number of straps, and wish they would release it with case only.
    Iím a little surprised by this packaged-to-order plan. Cookís big strength at Apple was refining the supply chain, and creating a multitude of SKUs through this custom order process normally causes more problems than it solves. But I guess that if thereís anyone who can handle this, itís Apple.

And I agree that itíd be nice to order just the watch head instead of having to pick yet another strap I might not wear.

So what do you all think? Did you preorder? What configuration did you go with? Are you picking up in the store, or having it shipped?
    Not going to order this S5 to replace my S4, or at least thatís not my plan (weíll see if my wife wants to buy me one as our anniversary approaches; although she wants to upgrade from her Fitbit to something with GPS). Thatís no knock on the S5 at all ó if I were still hanging onto an S3 or earlier, this would be a definite buy ó but Iím already very pleased with my S4.

The always-on feature is not very appealing to me as I wouldn't probably use it - I prefer to conserve the battery instead. The compass on S5 is nice as may be helpful during hiking. I'd really want to get a SS model and because of that I am more inclined to buy a used S4 model.

Re: Series 5 Officially announced!

Quote Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
    So the Apple Watch Series 5 is officially announced. New options are available, and after watching the presentation, I will go over them here.
    . . .
    Thanks for the summary. Far better and denser info that I would get wading through yards of verbiage on the big gadget blogs.

I also found the old version of the comparison page (series 4 vs. series 3) on the Wayback Machine, which I then compared to the the new series 5 vs. series 3 page.

Looks like the only new health features are menstrual cycle tracking and alerting for dangerous noise levels. Other changes:
    • Later generation processor, but still claimed to be "up to 2x faster" than series 3
    • Adds international emergency dialing to the previous emergency dialing capability
    • Storage doubled from 16GB to 32 GB
    • Always-on display has same resolution and same brightness as series 4 screen

Since there don't seem to be any new health features relevant to me, and since I seem to be okay on both speed and storage, I will sit this one out. I bought my series 4 just five or six weeks ago at a great price, already dodging the first-year depreciation. It remains a large upgrade over the series 3, so I expect I'll be fine if I flip it next year for a series 6.

Always on display would be nice in a principal watch or if I used the watch at unconventional angles (working over my head a lot, etc), but I still wear a conventional watch for the time and work at a desk (or often a sofa). Besides, I'm not sure I want the screen always on at night (assuming it doesn't eventually dim to near out in dim lighting when it's not significantly moved for a long time).

One thing which would change my mind is if there is now a data-only home screen without the time on it buried somewhere in the new screens. To me, the Apple Watch is a health gadget, phone accessory, and wrist computer/communicator, not actually a watch. (Yeah, I know that's an eccentric position. ) So it would be nice to be able to display more data without the time cluttering the display.

I'm pretty careful about my ears in loud environments, but I do hope the series 5 proves popular and leads a lot more people to start complaining about dangerous noise levels where they are presently ignored.
    - Stephen

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information