Automatic Watch guy. . . . thinking about buying an Apple watch. Advice please
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Automatic Watch guy. . . . thinking about buying an Apple watch. Advice please

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hello everyone. . . . years ago I was that guy that swore the only watches I would ever buy were automatics (just because I think there is something cool about automatic/mechanical watches). Well then I came across deals too good to pass on quartz watches. After having a few good quartz watches, I found my automatics collecting dust in my watch case. Not because I don't like them but because I quickly realized how convenient quartz watches can be. Now I am starting to think about all the benefits a smart watch might bring.
    Last year I bought my wife an Apple Watch Sport (1st generation) and she has not taken it off since (other than to charge it). She loves it, and yesterday while sitting next to her she was giving me updated Master's leader board scores from her Apple Watch and I realized it was time to try a smart watch.
    I would like to get advice from those of you (particularly guys) who already have/had the Apple watch. I know I want the 2nd generation vs. the 1st (because of the water resistance). I really like the look of the stainless iwatch and like the idea of the sapphire crystal, but am trying to justify paying the price difference for the iwatch vs. the sport. Do you have any recommendations or advice for someone like me looking to buy my first Apple watch? Do you like yours or have any regrets? Anything you wish you would have considered before buying one? Thanks for any advice.

Moderator German Watches Forum

Re: Automatic Watch guy. . . . thinking about buying an Apple watch. Advice please

It is too late to become an early adopter. My suggestion is for now let
    your wife be the gateway to immediate gratification. Read the threads
    in this forum. Those who use the Apple Watch seem be happy with it,
    but wait for the next version of the Apple Watch which may be shown
    late this year.

The sapphire crystal seems like a good feature, but the cost includes
    more reflection from the surface than a glass crystal, about twice as
    much reflection. If your use includes much outdoor time I think you
    would notice the reduced display contrast.

Thanks,
    rationaltime
    ck40711 likes this.

Re: Automatic Watch guy. . . . thinking about buying an Apple watch. Advice please

I was one of those who got the AW right from product launch. While I've since moved back to traditional watches, I really enjoyed the AW while I had it.

I'd suggest not going with the Sapphire model for now. It's more expensive and if you don't like it after several months, you could sell it for (relatively) little loss. I got the sapphire version (and regretted the decision since I lost about 1/2 of what I paid for initially when I sold it) and I plan on getting the Sport version in a few generations. Save money for straps because you're likely going to swap between several of them, from steel to leather to fabric and rubber.
    ck40711 likes this.
    ♛ Rolex GMT-Master II 116710LN
    ♛ Rolex Explorer II 16570

Seller feedback

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks zetaplus93, that is the kind of feedback I was hoping to get. Mind if I ask why you went back to traditional watches after the AW? I plan on still mixing in traditional watches as well even if getting the AW. Thanks again for the feedback.

HAQ and AW moderator

I still rotate though a set of watches. I would wait until the next update comes out, perhaps along with the 7S and 7S plus.

Quote Originally Posted by ck40711 View Post
    Thanks zetaplus93, that is the kind of feedback I was hoping to get. Mind if I ask why you went back to traditional watches after the AW? I plan on still mixing in traditional watches as well even if getting the AW. Thanks again for the feedback.
    For me, the original AW was too slow CPU/RAM-wise. It was fine at the beginning, but after about a year, I got tired of slow performance and sold it.

The other reason is that I'm still in the phase of being interested in the little mechanical marvels of the movements. I'm guessing that I'll get to a point where I'll get tired of resetting the watch once a week and move back to the AW full time in a few years.

I found it hard having the AW in my rotation, mainly because I missed traditional watches while I wore the AW. The AW provides loads of capabilities though--having a silent notification system on your wrists is really useful! But I'll note that others have had the AW in their rotations without any quibbles, so you'll have to experiment to figure out how it works in your rotation.

So I suppose my advice is to spend a little to try out the AW, but make the experiment longer term, say 3-4 months at a minimum (your opinion might change after a few months, especially when you get to the winter months when the AW becomes, at least to me, less useful under long sleeves or a coat). I wouldn't sell your existing collection of watches yet, just in case the AW doesn't work out. And if it does, that's great, you can sell your watch collection and use the funds to get the Sapphire or Ceramic version when you upgrade.

Good luck!
    Last edited by zetaplus93; April 11th, 2017 at 01:27.
    ck40711 likes this.
    ♛ Rolex GMT-Master II 116710LN
    ♛ Rolex Explorer II 16570

Seller feedback

The stainless one looks a lot more posh, you can wear it on a suit.
    ck40711 likes this.

I can't wear a smartwatch into the office at my new job, but because I telework most days (like today), I still wear my AW a lot.

I wrote a lot more here (even about how I can quietly get sports scores on my wrist) --
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f586/co...y-2699457.html
    ck40711 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
    I can't wear a smartwatch into the office at my new job, but because I telework most days (like today), I still wear my AW a lot.

I wrote a lot more here (even about how I can quietly get sports scores on my wrist) --
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f586/co...y-2699457.html
    ^ I checked out your post comparing your AW to the rest of your collection, thanks that helps a lot.

The wife and bro-in-law went halfsies and got me the top of the line AW and another metal strap.
    They were excited for me to open the box since they both love their AWs.
    I didn't know much about it but they showed me what I could do with it. They set it up and I wore it for the first week, all the while thinking: why couldn't have this been a seiko samurai or a pre-owned omega AT?
    I made sure to let them know my appreciation but I have only worn it twice since, when we've gone to visit the bro-in-law.
    I don't know what model it is except that they told me it's top of the line. I haven't even cracked open its manual - that should tell you enough how I just don't like it.
    It looks cool, has some nice functionality, and I know I'm lucky to have it.
    It just isn't me.
    So maybe try your best to ascertain if the AW does reflect you in even a small way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ck40711 likes this.
    1959 Omega Seamaster
    2013 Tissot PR-100
    2011 Tissot Traditional Quartz

Wishlist:
    GS SBGA011 Snowflake
    Omega Seamaster AT
    Rolex Explorer I

Next purchase: prob a Mido Multifort to hold me over

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information