A big dumb smile
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MrDagon007
  • 1 Post By BarracksSi

Thread: A big dumb smile

A big dumb smile

Hi all,

So I finally swayed for a first trio of Homekit gadgets: an Elgato Eve Energy (smart electricity plug), home (temperature, humidity and air quality sensor), and door sensor. I installed it all while I was home alone, the Eve Energy plug is connected to a big standing lamp.
    When I had dinner with my wife, I asked "isn't it a bit dark here", and then spoke in my Apple watch "Siri switch on the living room light", which indeed happened after 2-3 seconds. How we laughed! It is truly like magic the first time it happens. I could also inform about the air quality, room temperature and humidity on my watch.
    Anyway, another fun use of the Apple watch. I am also eyeing the Philips Hue lights and will likely buy the Withings Home internet camera (will be a baby monitor) once it is also officially homekit ready - this last one has a watch app that gives a (slow) video feed of the camera.

All in all these homekit gadgets are fun ways to extend the usefulness of your apple watch.

A note: currently those 3 gadgets only work locally via bluetooth when I am at home, I will do a setup via apple tv to make them usable from elsewhere.
    Last edited by MrDagon007; November 22nd, 2016 at 16:48.
    BarracksSi likes this.

HAQ and AW moderator

Re: A big dumb smile

That kind of smile means you are happy with the new toys!

Siri open the front door and allow me access to his house.
    Or maybe a hacked live video feed of your living room on the Internet you are unaware of for the public to enjoy.
    Last edited by T1meout; November 22nd, 2016 at 23:06.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by T1meout View Post
    Siri open the front door and allow me access to his house.
    Or maybe a hacked live video feed of your living room on the Internet you are unaware of for the public to enjoy.
    Actually we have a door opener sensor, not a smart lock, which I am not yet fully convinced about. It must be said that Homekit security looks well thought out. Paired devices, encryption, permission granting, Apple thought about it.
    It is another reason why I will wait for an internet camera to be fully homekit compliant, though all the good ones do already have a paired and encrypted video stream.
    Will homekit security be good enough to thwart off the NSA? Probably an assumption we shouldn't make. But, like Apple Pay, it looks properly implemented enough for nearly all normal users.

A big dumb smile

For about the first six months, I'd regularly discover new tricks that the Watch could do, and, yes, I'd chuckle and say to myself, "Heh. That's awesome. Didn't know it could do that."

The little surprises aren't coming as often, but they still happen. Go check your Activity app on the phone and tap the Achievements tab; here in the US, at least, we've got a special medal for doing a 5k on Thanksgiving (the ol' "Turkey Trot").

MrDagon007 likes this.

Banned

Sounds good!

HAQ and AW moderator

You mean Easter eggs?

Quote Originally Posted by ronalddheld View Post
    You mean Easter eggs?
    Not really (although the Thanksgiving 5k might qualify as an Easter egg).

It's when I think to try another action with it, and it ends up working. I remember the first time I told it, "Hey Siri, tell my wife, 'I'm coming home now,'" and put down my wrist without tapping Send. I just wanted to see what would happen, and I was surprised that it sent the text.

The first time I used it for driving directions, I rethought the idea of having a car stereo with a navigation screen. It's not a special feature, it doesn't require a third-party app -- it's just something the watch can do normally, and it's so good at it that I probably won't buy a nav system in my next car.

When you extend it with other devices like the OP was talking about, like home controllers and security cameras, it can get pretty awesome.

pretty cool. I like finding those eggs also.

Thread Information