A Declining Trajectory
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: A Declining Trajectory

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A Declining Trajectory

As an Apple Developer and Huge Apple stockholder, it pains me to acknowledge this trend. The article below is not mine but the experience of a loyal Apple family. This makes me glad to be NOT updating my 2 old MacBook Pros, NOT updating my 3 year old iPhone 5 & 5S (yes I carry two iPhones) and NOT updating my 2 iPad3 and NOT updating one of my iPad Airs. I did update my other iPad Air and it has been a big PIA to get up to speed with corrupted passwords to email accounts and slow to update apps.

A Declining Trajectory - Matt Gemmell

Re: A Declining Trajectory

Link doesn't work

Can't imagine what he's doing wrong.

Now, I gotta admit, I had to reformat my four-year-old MBP a couple weeks ago because it wouldn't boot (first time ever reformatting any of my computers, going back to my RevA iBook), but the process itself wasn't too bad. Most of my time was spent waiting for files to migrate onto an external drive and back.

That's one hiccup. Besides that, all my devices work fine, and they're all on the freshest OSes they'll run.

One thing I haven't tried yet is using my watch to unlock a computer, but that's only because my MBP is too old. I've read of being able to install a replacement wifi card to gain support, but because it looks like I won't need to take my MBP away from home, I don't really need to lock it anyway. BUT, others are having a hit-and-miss time getting it to work, and they're not sure if it's because they're using different names for their Apple IDs, or authorizing devices in the wrong sequence, or whatever.

There's also macOS Sierra's automated file management features, most of which I haven't yet turned on. If you choose, it can do things like remove already-watched movies and TV shows to save space, move your entire Documents and Desktop folders to iCloud (also to save space, and to sync across your computers) -- things like that. I think it's an attempt to make it easier to live with onboard storage of 500 GB and less, and it could really help with backing up important files. But, having my stuff live somewhere else is a big change, and the only reason I might, potentially, possibly, consider doing it is my recent experiences (all positive, mind you) of keeping my coding projects in Github repositories.

My real concern is that even the Mac is getting to be geek-friendly while losing the accessibility for Joe Schmoe. Cloud storage by itself is kind of a mindf**k; it took a while for my programming class to grasp it, so imagine trying to explain it to Mom & Dad. Apple's trying to simplify it on the user end, but as a concept, it's very different from the past thirty years of personal computing, no matter how it's presented.

BUT.... even though I was able to fully reformat and repair my Mac with just an external drive and no crazy Terminal commands... maybe it would have been easier, or at least less nerve-wracking, to have an automatic off-site backup available.

Still, when I look over at Windows 10 updates breaking people's systems, or Android fragmentation, or Blackberry ceasing hardware production, I'm relieved about using Apple.
    yankeexpress likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Looks like Matt took down the page and associated Tweets. Perhaps it was a similar post to what Marco Arment wrote a year or two ago.

I'm relatively new to the Apple ecosystem (last 5 years or so) and have been a long time Windows user. I can confidently say (after using the MacBook, iPad, iPhone, Apple TV, and Watch) that though Apple isn't perfect, it's a much better choice for a regular user like myself. Things tend to fail less often.

Though I do think the AW has been the most unstable of all these products thus far.
    ♛ Rolex GMT-Master II 116710LN
    ♛ Rolex Explorer II 16570

Seller feedback

Apple users tend to be the most demanding of the products, too. I think it's part of what drew them to Apple in the first place.

Remember in the other thread when ronaldheld (I think?) asked how often we rebooted our watches or iPhones and I replied, "If I had to reboot my device every day, I'd get rid of it."? Yeah, we're like that.
    Last edited by BarracksSi; October 6th, 2016 at 05:54.

HAQ and AW moderator

Yes I asked about daily rebooting as I do with my Android phone.

Might be relevant in this thread -- a short post at CNBC looking at a bigger picture:
    Don’t laugh at AirPods — they’re part of Apple's ‘ambient paradigm’: UBS

"Ambient paradigm" is the phrase to think about.
    flybynight70 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeexpress View Post
    . . . iPhone 5 & 5S (yes I carry two iPhones) . . .
    Here you hit on a minor gripe about the iPhone series (and other phones primarily intended for the US market). They only hold one SIM. I have noticed that the phones I have purchased while in China have two SIM ports and it is quite handy. The phones even alert me as to which sim an incoming call is on and they allow me to select the correct SIM for outgoing. This makes it easy to amge a personal and a work number on the same phone.

. . . like I said, just an annoyance.

Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
    Might be relevant in this thread -- a short post at CNBC looking at a bigger picture:
    Don€™t laugh at AirPods €” they€™re part of Apple's €˜ambient paradigm€™: UBS

"Ambient paradigm" is the phrase to think about.
    Which sounds like the "Apple Experience Era" that Above Avalon talked about:

Above Avalon: WWDC Clues Hint at Apple's Post-iPhone Era

I think the idea makes sense, in particular the part about how different people will choose and value devices differently.

Once the AW becomes detached from the phone, it could be quite compelling to use the AW and AirPods together sometimes without the phone.
    flybynight70 likes this.
    ♛ Rolex GMT-Master II 116710LN
    ♛ Rolex Explorer II 16570

Seller feedback

Quote Originally Posted by zetaplus93 View Post
    Which sounds like the "Apple Experience Era" that Above Avalon talked about:

Above Avalon: WWDC Clues Hint at Apple's Post-iPhone Era

I think the idea makes sense, in particular the part about how different people will choose and value devices differently.

Once the AW becomes detached from the phone, it could be quite compelling to use the AW and AirPods together sometimes without the phone.
    Using a different device for each situation makes a lot of sense. I'm doing it right now, sitting at my laptop with my phone mostly dormant on the table and my Watch on my wrist.
    flybynight70 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information