FYI - Jony Ive is leaving Apple

Thread: FYI - Jony Ive is leaving Apple

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FYI - Jony Ive is leaving Apple

Technology VP Kevin Lynch can be argued as the person who nailed down how to make the Apple Watch operate properly, but we all know that Jony Ive's industrial design and engineering prowess made it into the most-wearable-...wearable on the market right now.

Brief reminder: Ive had joined Apple under John Sculley's [mis]management and was given looser reins once Steve Jobs returned. Every Apple product since the iMac bears his mark. He built Apple's design studio into one of the tightest groups of any manufacturing company.

Where Apple goes from here, we'll find out eventually. As blogger John Gruber says, we'll still be seeing Ive-designed hardware five years from now.

Apple's press release:
    https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/...ple-as-client/

Gruber's post (which is how I learn the news):
    https://daringfireball.net/2019/06/j...e_leaves_apple

Re: FYI - Jony Ive is leaving Apple

Apparently Ive is starting a design firm and Apple will be a customer.

Elvia has left the building…

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguarshark View Post
    Apparently Ive is starting a design firm and Apple will be a customer.
    Right, and I'm going to assume that either Apple's design team is so well-entrenched that they'll keep rolling just like they've been so far, or Ive's studio will have the same access to Apple's engineering department that they do now. Super-nitpicky details like aligning all the screws, ports, and speaker holes on the edge of an iPhone don't happen unless design and engineering are joined at the hip.

HAQ and AW moderator

Will there be major design changes after several more years?

Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
    Right, and I'm going to assume that either Apple's design team is so well-entrenched that they'll keep rolling just like they've been so far, or Ive's studio will have the same access to Apple's engineering department that they do now. Super-nitpicky details like aligning all the screws, ports, and speaker holes on the edge of an iPhone don't happen unless design and engineering are joined at the hip.
    Im ever more concerned with Apple designing their gear to be only serviceable by Apple. Damn glued in batteries, no changing ram, irregular screw heads, ...... designed butterfly keyboards, recalls every year. Im about done with Crapple.

I suspect it will be a benefit to Apple.

Whilst I like their products, they always place form over function - the keyboard on my 12 inch Macbook being a classic example. Horrid to type with, constant sticking problems etc. But looks trendy and allows a thin body.

There are lots of other examples of Apple doing things for the look rather than for practical use.

Hopefully this will end when Ive leaves.

^^^^ That’s part of what Gruber said, too — the new keyboard mechanism has a terrible reputation now, and for all of iOS’s visual appeal, it’s not any easier to use than it was when Forstall was in charge.

I got a 13” “Mid-2012” MB Pro Unibody, which was the last to have a platter HD and an optical drive, specifically because I wanted the option to swap components out. But... here I am, seven years later, and I still don’t feel a pressing need to do anything to it.

Anyway...

They’ve made material changes (according to an iFixit teardown) in the latest MB Pro keyboards, so hopefully that problem is fixed. And the AW just keeps getting better somehow, and the phones still rock (I appreciate the on-device machine learning versus sending everything to the cloud for processing). Not gonna leave Apple anytime soon.

i like great design but I've never understood the Ive worship. his stuff is ok, not mind-blowing, but good. He met expectations for what Jobs was going for.

I hope they use this as an opportunity to try new stuff and improve, because there are way better designers than Ive, and Apple is in an Ive rut.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguarshark View Post
    Im ever more concerned with Apple designing their gear to be only serviceable by Apple. Damn glued in batteries, no changing ram, irregular screw heads, ...... designed butterfly keyboards, recalls every year. Im about done with Crapple.
    Do you know if Samsung's or Huawei's flagship smartphones are better at serviceability? By looking at them, they seem to be similar in terms of design and construction to Apple's.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information