I don't have an iPhone (and don't plan to get one). Can I still activate and use an Apple Watch for
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: I don't have an iPhone (and don't plan to get one). Can I still activate and use an Apple Watch for

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

I don't have an iPhone (and don't plan to get one). Can I still activate and use an Apple Watch for

I don't have an iPhone (and don't plan to get one). Can I still activate and use an Apple Watch for telling time?

The Watch doesn't need a phone to do everything. BuBumany Apple Watch apps are really just displays for things running on your iPhone, and some key features aren't available if you aren't paired to an iOS device.

Moderator German Watches Forum

Re: I don't have an iPhone (and don't plan to get one). Can I still activate and use an Apple Watch

Quote Originally Posted by iroh View Post
    I don't have an iPhone (and don't plan to get one). Can I still activate and use an Apple Watch for telling time?
    NO. On Apple Watch the time function is only an application.

Though the Apple Watch can perform many functions without the iPhone
    including using the LTE cellular network (for the Apple Watch 3 LTE model),
    it cannot be activated by its own actions.

Possibly you could activate the Apple Watch with an iPhone you don't own
    then switch the watch to airplane mode. However, the watch would then
    be carrying the identity of that iPhone, and the watch could not be updated
    without an iPhone. Normally the time is set from the network. I don't know
    that you could manually set the time, and I don't know what would happen
    if airplane mode were turned off. In my opinion that is impractical.

Perhaps some day Apple will offer the Apple Watch as a stand alone
    device. It appears it would be better to wait if a stand alone device
    is what you need or want.

Thanks,
    rationaltime
    WES51 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: I don't have an iPhone (and don't plan to get one). Can I still activate and use an Apple Watch

iroh,

If you have an Android phone (Samsung, Google, etc...) I'd look at the Samsung Gear S3 Frontier, not only would it be compatible with your Android OS but I think is a nicer watch than the Apple watch.

Tony
    -Disclaimer - I am an iPhone user....
    nepatriot likes this.
    • 6.75 inch/171mm wrist

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jsbx1 View Post
    iroh,

If you have an Android phone (Samsung, Google, etc...) I'd look at the Samsung Gear S3 Frontier, not only would it be compatible with your Android OS but I think is a nicer watch than the Apple watch.

Tony
    -Disclaimer - I am an iPhone user....
    When it comes to aesthetics the apple watch is 10000% better. So I can never buy the Samsung watches.

iroh,

Vive la difference......

T
    • 6.75 inch/171mm wrist

Quote Originally Posted by iroh View Post
    No.

Not unless you buy used and you have an gentlemen's agreement with the previous owner where they removed their apps and data and you swear on your mother's grave that you will ALWAYS use Airplane Mode so that what is still, according to their iCloud account, their Apple Watch doesn't receive texts and emails from their accounts.

When you get a new Watch, it won't do anything until you pair it with an iPhone. It won't even show the time on its screen. It will prompt you to open the Watch app on your iPhone and get started with syncing.
    ronalddheld, LJUSMC and WES51 like this.

Honestly IMO the Apple Watch is a good extension of the iPhone. Without it, I’d suggest going another route for a watch just to tell time.
    ronalddheld likes this.

I can’t see you would get value out of the watch without the iPhone.

I'm just lurking here, but I have to say I find it as a very strange move from Apple not to offer their iWatch as a standalone device.

They leave out all the users with Android (or other) phones - and that is a lot of potential customers.
    Please help our community by keeping watch threads clear of politics.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information