My Take on Apple Watch (Series 3 non-LTE)
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JimmyK

Thread: My Take on Apple Watch (Series 3 non-LTE)

My Take on Apple Watch (Series 3 non-LTE)

I got the Apple Watch Series 3 non-LTE version.

How I use it:
    - I have being wearing it daily for 3-4 weeks now. In first 3 weeks, only when I'm at out of the house. Now I also wear it to sleep (for sleep tracking).
    - Notification: Calendar, Mail, iMessage, Skype, iOS games. Basically, when I get a notification, I check to see if it is important enough for me to follow-up either on Mac or iPhone. Before I had AW, I will check my phone depending on situation. When I'm in meeting, I often ignore iPhone notification. Now, I can quickly check AW discreetly.

Pros:
    - Comfort. I'm really surprised on how comfortable AW band is. It is so different than traditional bands I have being using (metal bracelet and leather buckle). I thought the rubber will be sweaty and uncomfortable. It really is the most comfortable watch and watch band I have worn.
    - Good battery life. I typically have 65-70% battery remaining, after wearing it overnight and during the day, until I get home around 7pm.
    - Customizable faces. There are many different style of faces to choose from. And most/many faces can be customized to show information I care about.

Neutral:
    - Activity tracker. I don't exercise. I can see AW can be very useful as activity or exercise tracker.
    - Heart beat tracker. Cool and a nice gadget. But really doesn't tell me anything I care about.

Cons:
    - Turning on display. I typically just rotate my wrist (with my wrist still resting on desk or keyboard) without lifting it. This won't work on AW. I need to emphasize the movement to raise my arm and rotate my wrist. I guess AW is successful to get me to do more activity whenever I want to get time.
    - Apps. Screen is not large enough for any app to be useful, besides notification. To use app, I just take out my phone.
    - Value. To me, it is just a watch. I don't find any killer features. So just a pricey electronic toy.

Style: Obviously depends on each individual's taste. I like the look. I prefer the Nike sports version. Looks cooler. But that was not available to me, so I got the basic AW.

Color: I got the silver Al version. It comes with the fog band. I like this band over the white Series 2 band.

By the way, I own 2 automatic watches. I responded to a thrad but that just didn't go anywhere. I plan to wear the Apple Watch for few more weeks or months. Then decide if I want to buy watch winder to get my automatic watches back into rotation.
    Automatic Watch guy. . . . thinking about buying an Apple watch. Advice please - Page 2

Couple pictures:
    Name:  IMG_0671.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  1.58 MB

Name:  IMG_0676.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  1.82 MB
    Last edited by JimmyK; October 18th, 2017 at 08:43.
    BarracksSi likes this.

Re: My Take on Apple Watch (Series 3 non-LTE)

A big +1 for the comfort of the Sport band. Marc Newson hit upon a great, unconventional design for the band that works better than anyone else expected. Glad it's reaching a wider audience than Marc's Ikepod watches have managed.

I, too, always loved the comfort of the sport band. Ironically, though, the Apple Watch fitness features has meant that I lost a lot of weight over the last year. My wrist has gotten slightly smaller. Now, I’m squarely between two holes. One is too tight, the other too loose. Oh well. I got a cheap magnetic sports band from eBay, and that’s working well.

Name:  D2E13210-CE94-4215-8F27-BB033AF7B692.jpeg
Views: 352
Size:  777.7 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 88Keys View Post
    I, too, always loved the comfort of the sport band. Ironically, though, the Apple Watch fitness features has meant that I lost a lot of weight over the last year. My wrist has gotten slightly smaller. Now, I’m squarely between two holes. One is too tight, the other too loose. Oh well. I got a cheap magnetic sports band from eBay, and that’s working well.
    I switch between three different holes on mine (now that I think about it, I use four!). The loosest -- let's call it #1 -- for wearing overnight and after a shower (easier to air dry my skin), #2 for regular use, #3 for light workouts and walks, and #4 for more active workouts.

The fact that I can switch among these sizes one-handed, and without bracing it against my chest (like I have to do with a standard buckle strap), has me second-guessing whether I'd regularly use a Link Bracelet, which is the only other strap I really want.

Good write up, useful info

I wonder if you would like analogue smart watch better. Alpina and FC released some new ones this year.

Thread Information