A Quick look at Apple Watch for fitness
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lunar Watch Club

Thread: A Quick look at Apple Watch for fitness

A Quick look at Apple Watch for fitness

Test of an Apple Watch for an active lifestyle
    Training for my first triathlon got me thinking of increasing my exercise metrics knowledge to the next level. Thanks to modern technology with smart devices, learning more about how your body functions gets easier. I decided to start with the essential smart watch for training. The market leaders in smart watches are Garmin, Fitbit and Apple watch with each company having multiple models to fit your needs. I decided to start with the Apple Watch as it stuck a balance of the smart functionality I like and compatibility with my iPhone. This short simple review focuses on the fitness aspects rather than the smart functionality.

Ball Park scale of where the brands stand:

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-04-14 at 1.15.25 PM.png
Views: 100
Size:  33.9 KB

The most impressive part:

1. Indoor swim workout accuracy, will try open water swims this summer.
    2. There are vast amount of activities to choose from on the exercise list.
    3. Smooth integration with other accessories especially within the Apple ecosystem.

Great features:

1. Biking with the watch was amazing as it was one less gadget (phone) to take on the ride. If you do need directions to a place then keep the phone with you to the map.
    2. Running outside distances were fairly accurate and over time improve treadmill accuracy.
    3. Heart rate accuracy has been studied, proving it to be ahead of the competition.

Needs Improvement:

1. Treadmill accuracy was off by about .15 to .25 miles.
    2. There is no easy way to toggle for multiple segment sports like Triathlons.
    3. Swimming auto pause between sets or at least manual way that doesn’t take a screenshot with kick-set detection as well.
    4. Battery life still not ideal for long endurance training especially while playing music.

Last edited by Lunar Watch Club; April 14th, 2019 at 19:16. Reason: Fixed Picture
    BarracksSi likes this.
    Connect on Facebook and IG @LunarWatchClub

Re: A Quick look at Apple Watch for fitness

A couple questions --
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunar Watch Club View Post
    Needs Improvement:

1. Treadmill accuracy was off by about .15 to .25 miles.
    2. There is no easy way to toggle for multiple segment sports like Triathlons.
    3. Swimming auto pause between sets or at least manual way that doesn’t take a screenshot with kick-set detection as well.
    4. Battery life still not ideal for long endurance training especially while playing music.

[/FONT][/COLOR]
    For treadmill accuracy, over how long of a distance was it that far off? .25 miles per mile, or per ten miles, etc?

Multiple segment sports: Did you swipe to the right and choose +Add to add another exercise to your session?

Battery life: How about a bluetooth HR strap? They say it helps battery life by letting the watch turn off its LED optical sensor. I've also considered a bluetooth strap as a way to let me mount the AW on the handlebars because it's awkward to turn my wrist while riding.

Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
    A couple questions --

For treadmill accuracy, over how long of a distance was it that far off? .25 miles per mile, or per ten miles, etc?

Multiple segment sports: Did you swipe to the right and choose +Add to add another exercise to your session?

Battery life: How about a bluetooth HR strap? They say it helps battery life by letting the watch turn off its LED optical sensor. I've also considered a bluetooth strap as a way to let me mount the AW on the handlebars because it's awkward to turn my wrist while riding.
    Bluetooth HR Strap definitely helps, at least in my case.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Lunar Watch Club View Post
    There is no easy way to toggle for multiple segment sports like Triathlons.
    With this specific sport, you can install a free Stava app and switch easily with its interface from Swim, Bike, Run