Sophisticated/Knowledable Apple watch users - You are upgrading from what type of watch?

Poll: Apple watch users - You are upgrading from what type of watch?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Taerid
  • 1 Post By BarracksSi

Thread: Sophisticated/Knowledable Apple watch users - You are upgrading from what type of watch?

Sophisticated/Knowledable Apple watch users - You are upgrading from what type of watch?

I do not own an Apple or Android powered smartwatch. In my estimation, the technology needs to advance another decade or so before I might consider one, but that statement is largely my preconceived ideas and ignorance about how to better leverage the smallness of the whole package. Whether that is the small screen, small battery, small CPU, small memory, small connectivity, etc.

With that bias given up front, I was curious if most WUS devotees who had an Apple smartwatch, did they otherwise wear a mechanical, quartz or other types of watch as their daily driver? Or in other words which watch did the smartwatch cause you to leave at home? I am getting ahead of the poll, but I am trying to understand how someone who appreciates the fine workmanship of mechanical watches could make the leap to a smartwatch. Are the bio-metrics or some other aspect worth placing it own your wrist for days/weeks at a time?

Re: Sophisticated/Knowledable Apple watch users - You are upgrading from what type of watch?

I wrote this last year:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f586/co...y-2699457.html

My opinions have stayed pretty much the same even though I can't wear a smartwatch at my new job.

I wear my AW almost all the time outside of the office, and I enjoy how it mostly removes the tether to my iPhone. I still rarely carry the phone in my pocket when I'm out with my wife; it goes either in her purse or the gym bag we often carry.

So -- an "upgrade" from my other watches? Sort of. But just like how I plan to always own a smartwatch, I also want to always own a regular watch because wristwatches in general ("smart" or "dumb") are so convenient.
    Last edited by BarracksSi; February 14th, 2017 at 15:53. Reason: Fixed link

Re: Sophisticated/Knowledable Apple watch users - You are upgrading from what type of watch?

On this part of the topic:
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeewatch View Post
    In my estimation, the technology needs to advance another decade or so before I might consider one, but that statement is largely my preconceived ideas and ignorance about how to better leverage the smallness of the whole package. Whether that is the small screen, small battery, small CPU, small memory, small connectivity, etc.
    What I don't think will change is the size, and general interaction model, of current smartwatches. Some people think a holographic projection would be great, but I don't think they want to have everyone else in the room seeing their text messages.

I don't think the current model is a drawback, either, but you have to understand how it fits among all the other computing devices. I've said before that there's a "spectrum" with raw power at one end and portability/convenience at the other. At the powerful end, you have the usual supercomputers and data farms; these will calculate all kinds of massive projects (whether they're scanning Russian phone calls or just rendering the next Pixar film) and use thousands of watts of electricity.

At the other end, you've had smartphones. They can't do as much, but they consume a lot less power and, of course, fit into your pocket.

Smartwatches extend the spectrum past the smartphone, sacrificing a little more capability while adding a little more convenience. I think it's a mistake, then, to expect a smartwatch to replace a phone, just like it's not possible for a phone to replace a laptop or mainframe.

Remember, a smartwatch today can compute faster than all of NASA did while sending people to the Moon.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It's in a class of its own, there's no upgrading from whatever watch.
    Casio Riseman GW-9200J-1JF, Rangeman GW-9400J-1JF, Frogman GWF-1000G-1DR & Classic GW-M5610R-1DR. TAG Heuer Aquaracer 300m Calibre 5 WAN2110.BA0822. Seiko Criteria 100m Quartz Chronograph SNDC63P1.​Rolex DeepSea Sea-Dweller 116660. Apple Watch Series 2 42mm SS with Milanese Loop.

I wouldn't see it as "upgrading". I'd just see it as another watch, but a watch that has new features that may or may not be useful to you. A smartwatch just doesn't feel the same as a mechanical watch. But, then again, it's not really meant to is it.
    ronalddheld likes this.

Added my vote (looks like the only vote for now) for upgrading from a fitness watch. The watch in my collection that's in the most danger of being sold soon is my Garmin Forerunner.

@BarracksSi I could not follow your link.

I do think smart watches are interesting but have not bought one because of the imbalance of cost versus capability. Instead I nearly bought a fitbit but decided that even though its capabilities are interesting it was not enough to displace my wristwatch, that tracking steps or monitoring sleep was not valuable enough even if the fitbit cost $0. Maybe Garmin or a similar watch that could track exercise runs would be nice, to function as a super capable sport watch but I have not given it any serious consideration. My issue is that I am often in front of a monitor/laptop screen and in other cases have a smartphone. So adding another computer on the wrist needs to offer something extra compelling.

But Apple must be doing something right, I heard that their smartwatch accounted for 1/2 the sales and 3/4 of all the revenues for the smartwatch category in the fourth quarter of 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeewatch View Post
    @BarracksSi I could not follow your link.
    Fixed it for ya --

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f586/co...y-2699457.html

I stated my case against my Garmin in there. Also started these threads:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f586/ap...s-2217986.html
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f586/po...s-3311098.html

My issue is that I am often in front of a monitor/laptop screen and in other cases have a smartphone. So adding another computer on the wrist needs to offer something extra compelling.
    Funny you say that, because I use my AW the least when I'm at my Mac. I can do text messages and calls on the laptop (along with everything else, of course) so I don't really need the notifications on my wrist. However, I wear it while I'm teleworking, because my workplace issued me a couple Win10 laptops, and I put my Mac and iPhone away to avoid distraction -- but I still want to easily see if someone's calling or texting me.
    coffeewatch likes this.

Thread Information