Who have practically completely switched to an Apple Watch from their mechanical watches? Why? - Page 13
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Who have practically completely switched to an Apple Watch from their mechanical watches? Why?

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Re: Who have practically completely switched to an Apple Watch from their mechanical watches? Why?

^^^^ Whether software and OS support matters depends on your usage, too. My iPad 2 is still enough for me ó despite maxing out on iOS 9 ó just because I use it mainly to watch videos, read the news, and play a few games.

Thereís nothing stopping us from running an AW into the proverbial dirt, swapping in fresh batteries every three years or so while chugging away on an older OS. The first-gen wonít run watchOS 6, but itís still controlled by iOS 13, so itís still usable.
    Palmettoman likes this.

Re: Who have practically completely switched to an Apple Watch from their mechanical watches? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
    ^^^^ Whether software and OS support matters depends on your usage, too.
    Good point, though in that case I'd stick to apps from Apple and trusted developers only once the device is out of support, and not use any apps that make arbitrary net connections (i.e., a tiny mobile browser, etc.). Even in the Apple ecosystem, malware does sneak into the store every now and then, and of course bluetooth and wifi firmware grows more vulnerable to drive-by attack over time.
    - Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by FarmKid View Post

I like things that last a long time (cars, tools, furniture, clothes, shoes) so I don't mind spending twice as much for something that will last three times as long.

If I was confident that the Apple watch would be useful for at least 10 years, I probably would get one. Does anyone here think they will be using the same Apple watch for close to 10 years?
    I also like durable things but when it comes to high tech, durability is not really an advantage. Consumers in this market are conditioned to expect a limited life out of the product, since the value comes from features and capabilities, not from the aesthetics.

Think what would you do if you were living in the Ď50s and you bought the popular mechanical watch of the day. After just two years, the brand would release the first ever water resistant watch. Now, would you criticize the brand for releasing this version after just two years passed from the previous, non water resistant version? Of course not.
    Palmettoman and BSG75 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by utzelu View Post
    I also like durable things but when it comes to high tech, durability is not really an advantage. Consumers in this market are conditioned to expect a limited life out of the product, since the value comes from features and capabilities, not from the aesthetics.

Think what would you do if you were living in the ‘50s and you bought the popular mechanical watch of the day. After just two years, the brand would release the first ever water resistant watch. Now, would you criticize the brand for releasing this version after just two years passed from the previous, non water resistant version? Of course not.
    That's an excellent point! Today, we have a strong nostalgia factor going for mechanical/automatic watches. Back in the day, e.g., 50's, 60's, 70's, etc., people seem to want the latest, most modern option possible. I'm a huge fan of mechanical/automatic watches, but I look at my Apple Watch as the true tool watch of the 21st century and the most modern interpretation of horology.

It's not an heirloom, but it makes up for that in it's day-to-day usefulness.

I would say you should be able to get 5 yearsí use out of your AW, barring any irreversible damage. Thatís not too far off from the service interval on most nice mechanical watches. So whatís the real difference between buying a new (basic) AW and paying for servicing? And since they made the latest update available to earlier AW models than originally expected, it seems as though Apple may be catering a bit and recognizing that people are using things longer than they used to do. I think itís just a wash, really. Itís whatever makes you the happiest. Iíve gone back and forth, but Iíve found the AW to be really useful in many ways. No need for lume, instant weather info, music controls, hands free talking (especially when driving), notification screening without pulling out the phone every time... The list goes on... I have the exercise/stand reminders turned off, so no bother there. A lot of folks bring up the ďI donít need all those notificationsĒ argument, but the fact is you can customize all of it and/or turn them off if youíd like. The real issue at hand is being conflicted about wearing the AW in general.

Iím not saying I think itís the greatest thing ever, but it definitely is an extremely useful tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BarracksSi, utzelu and watchcrank like this.
    Encourage someone. The world has enough critics.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon\ View Post
    If I wasnít spending money on G-Shocks, my wife would be spending it on dumb sh*t like food and bills.

I have had a real struggle with my interest in watches. Ever since getting an Apple Watch 3 a couple of years ago, my mechanical watches have been getting very little wrist time. This summer, I sold my Apple Watch 3 (in preparation for buying the Apple Watch 5) and I started wearing my mechanical watches again. I missed the Apple Watch SO much. I use it to pay at stores/restaurants (Apple Pay), to check the weather, calendar notifications, text messages, etc. When the Apple Watch 5 arrived, I was excited to have it back and once again stopped wearing my mechanical watches.

Recently, I decided that if I'm not going to wear my watches, they need to be sold. I finally figured out a balance that I like. On most week days, I'll wear the Apple Watch as that is when notifications are important to me and I'm more "plugged in". On the weekends, I'll start wearing my mechanical watches again. I'm going to unload some of my lesser worn watches to fund my most expensive watch purchase yet (Omega Seamaster Pro) and my excitement for "real" watches is once again very high and I'm enjoying the trade off between smart and mechanical watches each week.
    watchcrank likes this.
    (Review coming soon) Hamilton Jazzmaster Chronograph
    (Review coming soon) Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic

HAQ and AW moderator

Any mechanical/electronic watch balance is difficult to achieve, IMO.
    watchcrank likes this.

Who have practically completely switched to an Apple Watch from their mechanical watches? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
    During lunch in the cafeteria at work today, we were talking about how nice it looked outside, wondering how warm it might be. I habitually looked at my wrist for the current temperatureÖ but, alas, I was wearing my Seiko instead.

No personal gadgets allowed where I work, so my Watch stays home. I wear it all day when Iím teleworking, though.
    Iíve got a new job in a new location (no more teleworking, either), and Iíve realized that we can bring personal gadgets to the office ó including smartwatches.

Hmm.

If cellular reception werenít so awful inside our building, maybe I could make good use of my AW. And almost all communication is done through our desktops, too.

Iíll probably continue using regular watches at work, but now Iím reconsidering whether to make a major purchase in the next few months.

Quote Originally Posted by ronalddheld View Post
    Any mechanical/electronic watch balance is difficult to achieve, IMO.
    It's why I didn't even try and simply wear them both at the same time (though the conventional watch is not always mechanical). A few people may think that eccentric, but so what if they do? I doubt many even notice anyway.
    Prdrers and ronalddheld like this.
    - Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by watchcrank View Post
    It's why I didn't even try and simply wear them both at the same time (though the conventional watch is not always mechanical). A few people may think that eccentric, but so what if they do? I doubt many even notice anyway.
    Back when I was wearing a Fitbit, I actually did wear that on one wrist and a mechanical watch on the other. My wife thought it was very weird, but I didn't care. I more recently tried doing the same thing with the AW5 and another watch and it felt like "too much" for me. Thus, I'll alternate between weekdays with the AW5 and weekends with the other watches.
    Prdrers likes this.
    (Review coming soon) Hamilton Jazzmaster Chronograph
    (Review coming soon) Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread Information