Who have practically completely switched to an Apple Watch from their mechanical watches? Why? - Page 14
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Who have practically completely switched to an Apple Watch from their mechanical watches? Why?

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Re: Who have practically completely switched to an Apple Watch from their mechanical watches? Why?

I never thought it would happen, but count me in this group. After almost 10 years of mechanicals, I’m converting to just an AW for my daily.

The main reason is a life change, having recently moved from Southern (US) suburbia + car ownership, to Northeast city life + car-free living. This brought a whole host of AW convenience-to-the-point-of-necessity:

1) Previously no one cared about a ringtones and alert tones. Now they are obnoxious to my co-commuters as well as co-workers (including work customers). The AW changes that, with a silent buzz on my wrist.

2) On a packed train or bus, it’s much much easier to glance at an AW than to pull out my phone for every notification. Bonus points for being able to control music and podcast playback from the AW vice iPhone.

3) For urban exploring, walking and transit directions are delivered much more conveniently via AW than having to walk around with the iPhone in hand.

Fitness is the other reason. As some others have said, my job is sedentary. The AW is a great reminder to get up from time to time, take a walk from time to time, and breathe when stressed.

I have tried two-fisting it as Hodinkee suggested. But then my mechanical watch becomes pure jewelry, with the AW obviating the need to even set and wind the mechanical Previously, I did indeed use my mechanical watch to tell the time and date, but the AW does that too, so ... ?

Funny enough, the AW forced me to “Marie Kondo” my collection of mechanicals down to the timepieces that bring me the most joy. Hopefully this will help me regain some AW vice Mechanical watch balance. OTOH, I suspect AW Series 6 will see it become its own device platform, fully independent from the iPhone. I which case, RIP mechanical watches?
    Last edited by JTK Awesome; November 27th, 2019 at 18:08.
    Prdrers, umarrajs and edhchoe like this.

Re: Who have practically completely switched to an Apple Watch from their mechanical watches? Why?

I have pretty much given up wearing any watch except the Apple one. I have some important notifications toggled on and the rest muted. The three most important uses of the Apple Watch in my daily life are for voice control of my Home Automation system, reminders for medication and some recurring tasks, and fitness. The fact that it tells time is a plus, I view it as a wrist computer as much as a time-keeper.

I also appreciate that I can select from quite a few watch faces and do a limited amount of customization. It’s almost like having multiple watches. I have a half-dozen different bands to choose from, also.

I just got a Series 5, but am keeping the older one at least for a time to wear at night for sleep tracking while the 5 is on the charging stand.
    umarrajs likes this.

After a couple of months, I’m recanting my post.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f586/w...l#post50647969

Quote Originally Posted by JTK Awesome View Post
    I never thought it would happen, but count me in this group. After almost 10 years of mechanicals, I’m converting to just an AW for my daily.

The main reason is a life change, having recently moved from Southern (US) suburbia + car ownership, to Northeast city life + car-free living. This brought a whole host of AW convenience-to-the-point-of-necessity:

1) Previously no one cared about a ringtones and alert tones. Now they are obnoxious to my co-commuters as well as co-workers (including work customers). The AW changes that, with a silent buzz on my wrist.

2) On a packed train or bus, it’s much much easier to glance at an AW than to pull out my phone for every notification. Bonus points for being able to control music and podcast playback from the AW vice iPhone.

3) For urban exploring, walking and transit directions are delivered much more conveniently via AW than having to walk around with the iPhone in hand.

Fitness is the other reason. As some others have said, my job is sedentary. The AW is a great reminder to get up from time to time, take a walk from time to time, and breathe when stressed.

I have tried two-fisting it as Hodinkee suggested. But then my mechanical watch becomes pure jewelry, with the AW obviating the need to even set and wind the mechanical Previously, I did indeed use my mechanical watch to tell the time and date, but the AW does that too, so ... ?

Funny enough, the AW forced me to “Marie Kondo” my collection of mechanicals down to the timepieces that bring me the most joy. Hopefully this will help me regain some AW vice Mechanical watch balance. OTOH, I suspect AW Series 6 will see it become its own device platform, fully independent from the iPhone. I which case, RIP mechanical watches?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Iíve posted earlier in this thread or the other, but currently, Iím back in the wearing-it-almost-daily mode.

For almost three years, I worked in an office where we couldnít bring personal gadgets. I had the luxury of teleworking three days a week, though, so I wore my regular watches only twice a week. This summer, I got a new job in a similar location but with no option to telework; so I wore a regular watch at the office, then switched to my AW once I got home (and always used it as my morning alarm clock).

Now Iím in a different job in a different location, and we can bring our gadgets as long as we switch them to airplane mode. And since my commute includes a total of an hour of walking, itís nice to easily get the occasional text, and I can finally close all my activity rings again.

Weíll move to another building in a few months, so I donít know if weíll continue enjoying this privilege of carrying our gadgets. But if this keeps up, I may adjust my wish list from a nice daily wearer (think Datejust/Globemaster) to an occasional special watch (Exp/OP/JLC MUT small seconds/etc).
    Worker likes this.

I find myself alternating between periods when I wear mainly a smartwatch to periods when I wear my other mechanical/quartz watches. The periods vary from few months to a year or more. Currently it seems that the "traditional watch" period is coming to an end and the smartwatch one is starting. At the end of summer I sold my AW3 and Samsung Galaxy Watch but now I am looking into getting again an AW5. I didn't want to sell the AW3 but I had a friend begging me for it and the price was fair.
    umarrajs likes this.

I’ve had an on again off again relationship with the AW. First purchased a Series 2, then gave up on it with the somewhat hokey wake method.

I felt I needed to alway be able to see the time. Sold it off, went several months without, then convinced myself with my job I needed notifications available at a glance, came back to series 3.

Same problem as before, no glanceable time display, and by then my arthritis made that design uncomfortable due to the sensor back, so back to regular watches.

When the 4 came out, I noticed the design change made it considerably flatter and wider on the back, still wanted notifications, gave it a whirl. And again got frustrated with no time display when I wanted to just sneak a quick look in a meeting and such.

Series 5 is such a game changer for me, wife saw the AOD feature, splurged on me for Christmas and my soon upcoming 50th birthday, and got me a Series 5 in the DLC black stainless. Not looking back now.
    umarrajs likes this.

Banned

I remain scared to get one for fear of the same result...

Why switch when you can wear both? For me the Apple watch is more a computer than a watch and a convenient way to view notifications, contactless and fitness tracking (heart rate and gps). I still wear a Ďproperí watch as well which I enjoy for other reasons. Some people might find it odd but I couldnít care less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    umarrajs and DaveOZ like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam2011 View Post
    Why switch when you can wear both?
    I tried this and it doesn’t work, Hodinkee be damned.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/do...watch-series-4

Ironically, it’s the Hodinkee editorial that said it best about why wearing two watches can’t work.

...for a real watch lover, a watch is a singular object and it is never experienced in tandem.... Wearing two watches of any kind is disruptive to the fundamental psychology and mind-set of enthusiasm for watches – first of all it dilutes the purity of the experience, and secondly, it actually seems to divide one's own character, as you waffle mentally between trying to identify with first one watch, and then the other.

Quote Originally Posted by JTK Awesome View Post
    I tried this and it doesnít work, Hodinkee be damned.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/do...watch-series-4

Ironically, itís the Hodinkee editorial that said it best about why wearing two watches canít work.
    Personally I donít use the Apple Watch as a watch and so donít consider it as one. I set the screen up to show heart rate data and have shortcuts to music, exercise and alarm. If I didnít have to display the time I wouldnít. Itís therefore more of a computer on the wrist for me for convenience and fitness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread Information