Who have quit their Apple Watch after using it for more than a month & switched back to mechanical? - Page 15
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Who have quit their Apple Watch after using it for more than a month & switched back to mechanical?

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Re: Who have quit their Apple Watch after using it for more than a month & switched back to mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by utzelu View Post
    If you're stranded in the desert you have more pressing issues to solve than the watch on your hand. Longevity is not an issue for smartwatch consumers. The value is not in the object itself but in what it can do for the user. From this perspective, there is no competition between the two product categories.

Another aspect of mechanical watches, not discussed too much, is the maintenance required for them to function properly more than 20-30 years (for the best watches). In theory, a mechanical watch can be fixed, but in practical terms, it may be prohibitive to do so, due to lack of skills or spare parts. Try to restore the Antikythera mechanism for example and see how practical it is. So I am not not buying into the eternity aspect of the watch. Yes, it can last forever as long as you don't wear it.

As for the legacy aspect, there are better things to leave to your children than a watch they may not be interested in: a house, investment money, good education. This is a marketing ploy developed by the Swiss industry to justify the prices, so I don't really buy into it either.

In conclusion, enjoy the mechanical watches for their own sake, because you like them as micro-machines and in some cases, as a form of art. Don't be fooled by the marketing.
    Good points! I have both an Apple Watch and mechanical watches. I appreciate them all. The micro-machine aspect of the mechanical watch is fascinating as is the SIP technology of the Apple Watch.

There is a ton of marketing associated with mechanical watches, especially from Patek and Rolex. They make Apple's marketing look like it's done by amateurs.

IMO, for a mechanical watch to be a legacy gift to a child, it should be something that is associated with the giver. For example, if a child has fond memories dad wearing his Speedmaster, then it will probably have some meaning as it's passed on. Wearing that one watch for a long period of time is what helps give it true meaning. If it's part of a multi-watch collection, then IMO, it may not have the same meaning as it's passed on.

Smartwatches will probably not be something owned over the long term, but that doesn't take away from the value it can deliver to its user. There are some people who will always prefer mechanical/automatic watches and I think that's great. There are also people who are learning to appreciate watches through the purchase of an Apple Watch. We're all on the same horological journey. Some of us are driving Teslas (smartwatches), some of us are driving Porsches (mechanicals) and some of us are driving and appreciating both.
    31 Jewels likes this.

Re: Who have quit their Apple Watch after using it for more than a month & switched back to mechanic

Concur on legacay gift to child. I have a picture of my two month old son next to me wearing a Tag Heuer quartz. He is now fifteen years old. I gave him the watch and he loves it, partly because it was Dad's and partly because it was in the original picture.
    31 Jewels likes this.

I once had an Apple watch which I used for 2 Months and the I switched back to my Mechanical watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Raising my hand with mechanical watch strapped firmly to wrist.

I have used smart watches since the Pebble was released. For the past 6 months I have switch incessantly between the Apple Watch and Samsung Galaxy watch, including swapping from iPhone to Note 9 in search of the perfect combination. All this time my beautiful mechanical watches have been crying for attention. I wear them occasionally but then feel guilty that I'd missed out on closing my exercise rings.

Yesterday it finally dawned on me that there is no perfect smartwatch and I can live without one. I've been liberated from constant notifications that I don't really need. When I cycle I have a Garmin head unit which tracks my ride to Strava. I've ditched the bulky case from my phone and gone back to carrying it in my pocket like I used to.

So my Tudor Pelagos is back on my wrist ......... for now!

In the past few months, my value assessment has changed wrt watches. I still like traditional watches, but somehow I don't see much value in owning more than one of them, just for the sake of owning a mechanical piece. Maybe it's because the prices of watches seems to go up constantly, without adding any real/tangible features. Maybe it's because I have been exposed to the constant marketing BS from brands (I listen to a lot of watch related podcasts). Somehow I feel that nothing is really improving in the traditional watch world but the prices increase. With smartwatches I seem to find a good value/cost ratio and they constantly improve the feature set and built quality, always bringing something new with each generation. Of course, if money would be no object, I would have a different view towards value/cost.
    ronalddheld and zetaplus93 like this.

Not being able to pull out my iPhone at work is the biggest reason I need my Apple watch all the time. Having work related reminders and appointments on my wrist is a big plus.
    And I also have 20+ alarms.

I cannot wait to get a AW5.

i gave up on my AW after 2-3 weeks but admittedly didn't take the time to learn how to use all its features. might give it another go when the new version is released

Quote Originally Posted by utzelu View Post
    Somehow I feel that nothing is really improving in the traditional watch world but the prices increase. With smartwatches I seem to find a good value/cost ratio and they constantly improve the feature set and built quality, always bringing something new with each generation.
    Pretty accurate assessment.

Loved my Apple Watch. Wore that thing everyday. It was my only watch out of college. Then I got back into watch collecting and the Apple Watch sat on its charger everyday. It wasn’t hurting anyone but I ended up selling it. I miss it sometimes, the instant texts were a nice touch but I just keep my phone on my desk. Not an inconvenience. My wife however, wears hers pretty much everyday. She has multiple straps and has even run it through the wash a few times...lol. Still working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sanchjer View Post
    Loved my Apple Watch. Wore that thing everyday. It was my only watch out of college. Then I got back into watch collecting and the Apple Watch sat on its charger everyday. It wasn’t hurting anyone but I ended up selling it. I miss it sometimes, the instant texts were a nice touch but I just keep my phone on my desk. Not an inconvenience. My wife however, wears hers pretty much everyday. She has multiple straps and has even run it through the wash a few times...lol. Still working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kind of in the same boat. I wore mine pretty much exclusively for the past 2 years. I always kept looking at mechanical watches, but figured I would miss my Apple watch. About a month ago I saw people posting these photo-realistic watch faces and I thought I would try that. I put one on my watch and lasted about 15 minutes with it before I deleted it. That is when I decided to get my mechanical watches back out of the drawer, and I have been on a little bit of a buying spree since then. I like not being bothered by notifications and not having to put my watch on a charger every day or two.

I have considered selling my Apple watch, but I do still like to wear it when I work out (the nice benefit is I only have to charge it every 4 or 5 days now). Like the poster above my wife wears hers everyday and I don't think she could be talked out of it now.

We both have the Series 2, and I was really looking at the Series 4 as an "upgrade", but I like the idea of putting that money into something that won't be as easily updated.
    sanchjer likes this.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread Information