6497 randomly stops working -- possible causes?

Thread: 6497 randomly stops working -- possible causes?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

6497 randomly stops working -- possible causes?

I recently went to an AWCI class to build my watch. What an experience for a noob like me!! Highly recommended and worth a separate post.

We assembled a nearly completely disassembled 6497 movement and cased it. I truly love the end-product, and it immediately went to #1 in my collection. I managed to get it super accurate as well with all the values as good as it get's for a 6497!

However, a couple of days later, while I was putting it on, the watch starts ticking really hard, sufficiently so that I hear and notice, it, slows down and ... just stops. A few shakes and it starts working back again.

Needless to say, I was really bummed out and left it on the desk for the majority of the day to observe what would happen, and it worked fine throughout the day, keeping perfect time. In the evening I was playing around with it, reading on the net about possible causes. I put it down on the nightstand and a few minutes later I hear it ticking really, really hard and maybe 10 seconds into that it stops again.

I know it could be a million things, with a noob assembly. Question for the more experienced guys -- what would be your first guess on where to look?

Re: 6497 randomly stops working -- possible causes?

Slows down? You mean, longer interval between ticks? Or ticking at the same rate but the hands run slower than that?
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

Subjectively, the intervals between the ticks seemed to be longer, but I could be mistaken.

The ticks were very hard and loud, "one-sided" as in "tick-TOCK". It's almost as if the balance was not going back to one side fully and then hitting the other too hard. Not sure if that's even possible.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Loud ticking? Possibly the roller jewel bouncing off the back side of the pallet lever. Usually, an indication that the mainspring is too strong. I'm guessing this only happens when the watch is placed either dial up or dial down. If the movement is placed on edge, there is likely sufficient friction on all the pivots to prevent over-motion. At some point, if indeed this is the cause of the loud tick, the roller jewel may break or fall out, then the watch will stop completely.

James Sadilek -- ccwatchmaker.

Thank you for the answer. It happened only twice and yes, the watch was dial up one and dial down the second time.

1) Would this make the watch stop? 2) It is a brand new original 6497, does this happen? 3) Would winding the watch half-way help?

bruins443...Hello.

"For thine Peace of Mind / Searchest thou yon 6497's Escapement: For--verily--within its Mechanism's labyrinthine corridors and cunningly constructed linkages, shouldest thou ultimately discover the mis-aligned mechanism(s) that currently sore vex thee."

Put another way: go back over everything in the Escapement...your Gremlin's ( quite possibly...) lurking there!

Michael.

If it is seemingly random and not based on an interval, I would suggest checking for cleanliness. A fiber or any debris could cause it.

Yes, the stem in a very tight situation? Too much stress on stem can causes balance wheel to act abnormally like stoppages.
    " A great time piece on your wrist show you are serious of time "

Quote Originally Posted by sergioag View Post
    If it is seemingly random and not based on an interval, I would suggest checking for cleanliness. A fiber or any debris could cause it.
    Makes sense, will check.

Quote Originally Posted by Triton9 View Post
    Yes, the stem in a very tight situation? Too much stress on stem can causes balance wheel to act abnormally like stoppages.
    That's a new thought. I'll have to read up on this and check.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information