Advice on Valjoux 7750 service
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By stampylove
  • 1 Post By Roland Ranfft
  • 1 Post By maillchort

Thread: Advice on Valjoux 7750 service

Advice on Valjoux 7750 service

Hi I'm brand new to the forum and have already gained some invaluable knowledge from a very helpful forum member in Germany (thanks Roland). I purchased a Porsche Design watch many years ago as a small investment to pass on to my son when he got older. The time has now arrived but unfortunately the watch is in need of a service having been stood unused for a good number of years. The movement is as above a Valjoux 7750. I recently received a quote for servicing and a polish with no parts needed and was astonished at the quote which was £600. The small independent service centre advertise that their service costs are a fraction of the main service centre! I wonder if any members could recommend a watchmaker who would be able to service my watch without charging me an extortionate amount of money. I'm in the North West (Manchester) of the UK and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Chris.

Re: Advice on Valjoux 7750 service

Name:  20190625_150451.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  595.5 KB

This is the watch mentioned in my above post. Apologises if I've posted in the wrong section as new to the forum. Thanks
    Bob Duckworth likes this.

Sounds like a pretty good price. I haven’t done a 7750 yet, but I’ve heard quotes of around $800-900.
    If it's a good meter, it's a Fluke.
    Hang my self when I get enough rope. (It's a Tubes lyric, from the mid 70's; song's called "White Punks on Dope". Enough said?)
    The difference between 12 and 21 is dyslexia.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi there,

Quote Originally Posted by ExpiredWatchdog View Post
    ...but I’ve heard quotes of around $800-900.
    Why servicing then? My wholesaler (Flume) presently sells a single 7750 for EUR 416.49 (incl. German VAT). He is not known to supply bargains, and I'm pretty sure it can be found reasonably cheaper elsewhere.

For most watchmakers this is a job, they do with mittens and blindfolded. I.e. I'd not trust in the skills of a watchmaker who asks this sort of money for servicing a 7750; the price obviously includes learning to disassemble and assemble any movement the first time, without parts left over.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Joe Horner likes this.

Does seem a little high. Here in expensive Switzerland 500-550 would be fairly normal, another 50 or so if the case is touched up.
    Joe Horner likes this.

Does that quote include putting the ding on the lug right and full re-finishing of the case? I'd certainly hope so at that price!

As Roland says, the 7750 is bread & butter stuff. If all goes perfectly to plan (it never does of course...) a full strip, clean, inspect, reassemble and lubricate on that could be comfortably done before lunchtime, with another one before tea.

sounds high. Most watchmakers i have spoken to quote $400-500 if it's purely movement service only (no parts, no case work) needed. I even know of a watchmaker who does "tradework" (tradework means he accepts jobs from jewelry store and give wholesale price) who services 7750s for $300-350

Thread Information