Beat error adjustment

Thread: Beat error adjustment

Beat error adjustment

Hi Every1,
    HELP !!! how do I adjust the beat error with a fixed stud holder?
    I am working on a ETA 2451.

Thanks,
    Saul.
    The best way to stay balanced

Re: Beat error adjustment

First, are you sure the movement is out of beat? What are you using to determine this?

If the movement is, indeed, out of beat then the "in beat" position of the balance must be determined and the hairspring collet must be rotated on the staff to put the balance into that position.

This procedure is described in detail in watchmaking books. Henry Fried has a good description in the book, "The Watch Repairers Manual" - AWI Press.

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

What type of ETA 2451 are you working on? All the ETA 2451s I have seen have had movable balance spring arms.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It's possible that there are multiple versions of the 2451, however, I have several ETA 2451s that have a fixed stud carrier integral to the balance bridge.

Here's an example of such an ETA 2451:

I suspect that this is what tallsaul has.

Perhaps you are thinking of a related ETA movement like the 2471?

Thanks for your comments.
    I am using a Witschi Watch Expert III and the watch is a Marvin 777 with an ETA 2451 movement, like the one in JimH photo.
    The beat Error is around 2.5 mS. After I get the book, do I need special tools to do the job?

Thanks,
    Saul.

Hi,
    No special tools needed - (assuming you have the basics) -Just patience.
    Essentially you need to turn the hairspring collet on the balance staff - but you will only know if you have turned it the correct amount when the balance cock is back in place, and only for sure when you re-time the movement.
    Try to get an idea of how much it needs to be turned, and in which direction before you remove the balance cock.

Good luck!
    Dave

I am using a Witschi Watch Expert III and the watch is a Marvin 777 with an ETA 2451 movement, like the one in JimH photo.

I do not know anyone that owns one. I looked at their website and assume that you have an on screen bar graph. I have a Ticko-print type machine that prints out on paper. If very in beat it is one solid line. The wider the two lines are the more out of beat.

The beat Error is around 2.5 mS.
    Does this mean in micro seconds or millions of a second? If you can wind the movement about 5 turns and it starts running on it's own it is usually close enough. To adjust it you would take the balance off the bridge and hold it between the index finger and thumb and use either a hair spring tool or a screw driver that fits the slot and turn the collet in the proper direction, just barely. Put it together and on the tester and check your work. I have a vintage set of Watch Craft hair spring tools. For a pocket watch size balance I would probably put my holder in a steel bench block and hang the bridge on it and adjust it. Not for the faint of heart but the way I learned it in school.
    So I guess it up to you if it really needs worked on. Bob

Thanks Bob.
    I am waiting for a new pallet and I will inform about the progress.
    Does anyone have a schematic and part list for the Omega 355?

Thanks.

Thread Information