Can't catch a break. Overwound my watch and broke the crown (and stem) off - Page 2
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Can't catch a break. Overwound my watch and broke the crown (and stem) off

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Can't catch a break. Overwound my watch and broke the crown (and stem) off

I have a question about crown issues, hoping you guys can help me. I got a new screw down crown diver and to get to the 2 and 3rd positions was stiff. Anyway. I was testing the power reserve so after that test passed, I wanted to set the time for real. I manually wound the watch a little and then I couldn't set the time anymore. No matter how much force, the watch does not reach the second or third positions. Anyone knows what type of problem this is? I'm asking for a replacement but I just want to be informed for the worst case scenario.

This might enlighten you in several respects: Service: Omega Seamaster Cosmic 136.017 calibre 613 | Watch Guy

To recap: you have removed the seconds hand and it is running perfectly...unless you have a timegrapher and experience interpreting its output, I doubt it is running perfectly by the standards of most of us on f6 (for one thing it should run within spec with the ss hand and crystal installed).

Seems that you recognize that there is room for growth in your watchmaking knowledge...and perhaps in your comedic skills?

If you like the watch and would like it to perform correctly and do not wish to add to the cost, you should take it to a qualified watchmaker (before attempting further intervention) who can service and repair. I do not know the circumstances of your split-stem extraction (ie. normal winding torque...too much as in "forcing" , etc)...but under normal conditions, the crown/fm stem shouldn't have disengaged.

Best of luck...careful with your quotes...keep you day job. Regards, BG
    Last edited by BenchGuy; September 13th, 2015 at 15:23.

Quote Originally Posted by colgex View Post
    I have a question about crown issues, hoping you guys can help me. I got a new screw down crown diver and to get to the 2 and 3rd positions was stiff. Anyway. I was testing the power reserve so after that test passed, I wanted to set the time for real. I manually wound the watch a little and then I couldn't set the time anymore. No matter how much force, the watch does not reach the second or third positions. Anyone knows what type of problem this is? I'm asking for a replacement but I just want to be informed for the worst case scenario.
    May sound silly, but have you accidentally engaged the first thread or two of the screw-down crown while manually winding it?

Some watches have the stems cut a little short so that the crown doesn't come reliably clear of the threads in the winding position. Try turning the crown "backwards" by a few turns then pulling it out into handset without turning it forwards again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Horner View Post
    May sound silly, but have you accidentally engaged the first thread or two of the screw-down crown while manually winding it?

Some watches have the stems cut a little short so that the crown doesn't come reliably clear of the threads in the winding position. Try turning the crown "backwards" by a few turns then pulling it out into handset without turning it forwards again.
    Thanks for the tip. I tried everything. Clock, counter clock, right after unscrew, a little front and back and nothing. I'm waiting on them to get back to the office and reply to me for an exchange.

Exchange received, problem solved. I guess from what I read from other threads, the mechanism of the crown/stem probably got messed up and that is why it was not reaching the 2 and 3rd positions. The new model I received seems so much smoother than the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by colgex View Post
    Exchange received, problem solved. I guess from what I read from other threads, the mechanism of the crown/stem probably got messed up and that is why it was not reaching the 2 and 3rd positions. The new model I received seems so much smoother than the first one.
    Nice to see a good outcome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by keyser View Post
    Crappy attempt at humor. That edit was was meant to reflect my watchmaking knowledge, not yours. Sorry kek
    I thought it was funny

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information