Demagnetizing a Watch
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Odessa200
  • 1 Post By ExpiredWatchdog

Thread: Demagnetizing a Watch

Demagnetizing a Watch

My girlfriend seems to have managed to magnetize her Nomos Club - it's running minutes fast per day, and looking at the balance wheel through the see-through case-back, it looks like it's not swinging around fully, like it's kind of stuck or sticky in some way.

My first question may not really be a watchmaking question: if we send the watch in to Nomos, will this kind of defect be covered by their warranty or will they consider this "misuse" and charge for service?

My second question - what does it take to demagnetize a watch? Does the movement have to be disassembled or is it enough to run the fully assembled watch over the demagnetizer? I ask because I have a local watch repair shop, but I don't fully trust them (questionable experience with service of an old Omega modified ETA-2892 - if anybody has a recommendation for good watchmaker in the San Francisco Bay Area, please let me know!) I wouldn't feel comfortable letting them open a watch that's still under warranty.

Or can I even just buy my own demagnetizer from Esslinger/O. Frei and do it myself with a reasonable chance of success?

1st Q: no clue. 🙂
    2nd Q: super simple to do. Just buy the device. Given our lives (plenty of magnetic fields around us) you will use it a lot. Half of the watches I get come magnetized.
    1st: check if it is indeed magnetized. Use a free iPhone program like Lepsi. Or search for a similar for Android. Or use a compass. It should not move when you move the watch close to it.
    2nd: get the device. No disassembly required. Just look for instructions but basically you put the watch in/on the device for a few secs and slowly move it away. Done.
    3rd: do NOT get 10$ blue box made in China. It is way to week. Waste of money. Get something like this. About 20$ and works great.

Good luck.

P.s. this is NOT me selling these. 🙂
    Attached Images Attached Images

eddieo396 and clockyg like this.

Re: Demagnetizing a Watch

Very good advice. Thanks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Couple things to add; the compass is helpful but the watch case alone is enough to steer the earth’s magnetic field so just moving the cased watch close can give you a false reading. The best technique is to hold the uncased movement over the compass and rotate it. If the compass moves in conjunction with the movement, then you are magnetized. I don’t mean that the needle follows the stem around (although it could), just that it moves & moves the same way with each revolution.

Second, the blue Chinese cheapie is fine for tools & parts but isn’t strong enough to get through the case. The advantage they have (besides the price of $10) is that their low-power draw makes it pretty hard to overheat them, where the one above will in about thirty seconds.

I wasn’t aware the big one could be had so inexpensively, looks like another tool on my list.
    eddieo396 likes this.
    If it's a good meter, it's a Fluke.
    Hang my self when I get enough rope. (It's a Tubes lyric, from the mid 70's; song's called "White Punks on Dope". Enough said?)
    The difference between 12 and 21 is dyslexia.

I have found the blue chinese one that has been recommended before does work for me.
    Tested with a compass

Although i have done it on the full watch with no dismantling.
    Not claiming to be an expert but the blue case does have an affect.

The blue one though is poorly wired and a hazard accord to some people so dont do on your bed, just in case.
    Davosa,Omega speedy reduced, Seiko(6) ,Orient (3),Citizen (3) GShocks(8), Pebble Time smartwatches (2) are my poison on a Skinny 5 and 3/4 inch wrist

The blue type of demagnetizer blew my home circuits when I used it. I did manage to use it before I figured out why I had to re-set my electrical box. It did demagnetize as advertised but be careful about it's effect on your home electricity. I won't be using it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ticktocker View Post
    The blue type of demagnetizer blew my home circuits when I used it. I did manage to use it before I figured out why I had to re-set my electrical box. It did demagnetize as advertised but be careful about it's effect on your home electricity. I won't be using it again.
    Please provide more details. Perhaps you have a wiring problem and perhaps you have found something we all should know. I have a clamp meter as well as traditional AC Ammeters, and will try my unit to see the parameters. Keep in mind the load affects the power factor which may affect the peak amperage. All our mileage may vary.

I’ve run mine steady state for quite a while, maybe two minutes. I’m on 120V and a 15A circuit.
    If it's a good meter, it's a Fluke.
    Hang my self when I get enough rope. (It's a Tubes lyric, from the mid 70's; song's called "White Punks on Dope". Enough said?)
    The difference between 12 and 21 is dyslexia.

If you open up the blue box you would see rather simple thing: a coil. If there is any kind of wiring problem, or the unit is overheated and the coil isolation melts: it will short circuit. A better models would have a fuse but many would be w/o it. I use a surge protector to plug these things in. As mentioned before: these 10$ units are cheep and this is the only plus about them.

Btw, you you still have an old fashion TV (with a tube, not flat screens) you can use it to demagnetize. Some old TVs have the degauss menu. But this is rather unorthodox way of doing watch repairs 🙂
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks all! Yeah, I've found a compass to not be helpful with cased movements. I'll look into investing into a demagnetizer.

Thread Information