Dial indices repair
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Joe Horner
  • 2 Post By Archer
  • 1 Post By watchabit

Thread: Dial indices repair

Dial indices repair

G'day All,

The 12 O'clock index on a workmate's Oris Ti diver came off the dial and needed to be re-attached.

Looked like it used to be held in place via 2 pins I'm guessing soldered to the dial. I was afraid of using glue, firstly because I have no idea what glue to use and secondly I'm thinking glue may ruin the beaut dial if it get's smudged and cleaning glue off dials would be impossible. The index is quite small and I didn't like my chances of getting enough glue without smudging.

Name:  20190531_185850.JPG
Views: 57
Size:  205.3 KB

Name:  20190531_191852.JPG
Views: 50
Size:  317.5 KB

To be safe I ended up using thin but strong double sided tape I had lying around, the stuff that is used to stick thin laminate sheets to chipboard panels. I'm guessing the reason for it coming off or break is because of metal expansion or it took a good knock/drop? Oris is a quality brand right? Watch looks really nice. I was conscious that this may raise the index but because there was a slight curve up in the middle of the index the lift was not noticeable. Also I was thinking being the 12 index, even a bit of raise would still look ok?

Name:  20190601_162437.JPG
Views: 53
Size:  296.1 KB

Name:  20190601_162909.JPG
Views: 51
Size:  322.6 KB

Anyways it seems to be working as he hasn't turned around and whacked me in the head with anything yet, instead gave me this...

Name:  IMG-20190604-WA0007.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  90.8 KB

I had to take it because I didn't want to be rude...

Questions: What is the proper way of fixing indices? If that's a stupid question then I should ask how have you fixed indices?

Thanks,
    Thuc

Re: Dial indices repair

Indices with posts are normally riveted to the dial. Yours still has the posts...but dial would have to be removed to re-rivet. In the absence of experience, the probability of damage to the dial or index is high. My recommendation would have been 15 min epoxy. Provides good adhesion and sufficient work time to precisely locate the index. Mix a tiny amount, then apply to the index back with a clean, fine oiler. "Holding" the index with rodico provides for good control on locating the index...then pressing it home with pegwood and thereafter removing the rodico.
    There are other methods for sure...but this works for me.
    Regards,
    BG

Agreeing with BG just use 15min epoxy and use a pin to dab a small amount in the holes then press the indice in place, do not try to raise it though, the pins won't sit deep enough to hold.
    1980 Bulova 1D16M Submariner
    1977 Timex Milspec Custom Conversion
    1966 Timex 600 Skindiver
    1969 Benrus US Military Issued
    1961 Belforte Sheppard AFB
    1961 Omega Seamaster

"Time spent waiting between the seconds is only conspiring to make me older" DV 2018
    "I don't always agree with everybody but when I do it's because I'm Right"
    DV 2011
    Dirtvictim The Watch Mechanic.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you guys, great tip. I will give that ago next time. I had issues getting the pins to line up with a tweezer hence was not comfortable with glue, great idea with rodico.

Similar to Bg and dirtvictim, but I tend to use GS hypo cement rather than epoxy. As long as the rivets are still on the index, the only load on the adhesive is tensile because the rivets will prevent shear / sideways movement.

GS is plenty strong enough for the vast majority of markers (possible exception some of the really chunky 70s style used by brands like Rado) and is a LOT easier to clean off a dial finish if you do make a mistake - you just wait for it to semi-dry and gently peel it with peg-wood leaving no residue and no damage!
    Archer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Horner View Post
    Similar to Bg and dirtvictim, but I tend to use GS hypo cement rather than epoxy. As long as the rivets are still on the index, the only load on the adhesive is tensile because the rivets will prevent shear / sideways movement.

GS is plenty strong enough for the vast majority of markers (possible exception some of the really chunky 70s style used by brands like Rado) and is a LOT easier to clean off a dial finish if you do make a mistake - you just wait for it to semi-dry and gently peel it with peg-wood leaving no residue and no damage!
    This is what I use also.
    Joe Horner and ccwatchmaker like this.

Excellent, thanks for all the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by babudo View Post
    Excellent, thanks for all the replies.
    I hope you cleaned that case for him while you had the movement out...
    Joe Horner likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by watchabit View Post
    I hope you cleaned that case for him while you had the movement out...
    That's not ready for cleaning yet (at least judging by some I've seen over the years) - there's nowhere near enough build-up to peel off and make a strap out of, let alone clone the owner from! :D

Thread Information