Disassembly Trick - Page 2
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Disassembly Trick

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by gnorman19 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpiredWatchdog View Post
    Agree with the crystal side solution. Another possibility is that the crystal can be removed with a crystal lift. Is there a cylindrical area on the outside edge of the crystal?

Here are some examples of such crystals:

Attachment 14777705

The crystal lift grasps the cylindrical section and squeezes it in, loosening the edge of the crystal from the groove in the case. You can google Crystal Lift to get an idea of what I'm talking about and a cheap one (Esslinger, $15) is adequate.
    Howdy again Sir!!
    While attempting to clean the upper bezel ring with the crystal in it, the crystal decided to become detached. I am supposing my previous optimism about crystal lifting and such was premature. Thanks for the google idea.
    You can glue it back it. Need the crystal cement.

Re: Disassembly Trick

I have many skills to learn. I currently am using one of those head things with magnifying lenses of different power. I can not get the power to see well without getting too close to the movement as to not fit a screwdriver. Do you have any suggestions to get the reach?

Get a decent loupe and loupe wire. I got a "Bergeon 2611-TN Jewelers Eye Loupe Magnifier with Opening" in 4x and 2.5" focal distance and "Bergeon 5461 Headband for In-the-Eye Loupes" both from Esslinger and a total of less than $25.

I personally use more complicated solutions but you can't go wrong with this rig. Don't try to squint the other eye, just let it go out of focus and ignore it.

GS Hypo for your gluing needs.
    gnorman19 likes this.
    Hack a wife's watch, keep her happy for a week, teach her to hack her own watch, keep her happy for life!
    Wife replies: ...teach her to hack her own watch, she doesn't need you anymore! 8^o
    What's the positional variation on a pendulum clock?
    Be annoying. The world needs more noyings.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Get a decent loupe and loupe wire. I got a "Bergeon 2611-TN Jewelers Eye Loupe Magnifier with Opening" in 4x and 2.5" focal distance and "Bergeon 5461 Headband for In-the-Eye Loupes" both from Esslinger and a total of less than $25.

I personally use more complicated solutions but you can't go wrong with this rig. Don't try to squint the other eye, just let it go out of focus and ignore it.

So far I've only seen these things in movies. I will youtube them to get a feel or their usage.
    More to buy.....
    Thanks

What type of eye to hand distance does this give generally? Ideally fwiw I'd guess I'd like about 15 to 16 ". Maybe not practical?

2 and a half inches. More would take some serious optics and probably wouldn't be practical due to the optical lever (slight move of the head and the subject is gone). The weight of the optics would be a problem.

I have a stereo microscope that has better focal distance for a given magnification, but there are downsides that makes it useful only for certain cases (inspection, mostly).

There's a reason the loupe's the go-to solution for watchmaking.

I put up a thread titled "Loupe Recommendations" here https://forums.watchuseek.com/f6/lou...s-5011409.html several months ago.

Oh, with a 2.5 inch working distance, you can imagine that the work needs to be elevated or your back will suffer. That's why a watchmakers bench (or tabletop stand) comes up so high; you should be able to comfortably rest your chin on the table.
    Hack a wife's watch, keep her happy for a week, teach her to hack her own watch, keep her happy for life!
    Wife replies: ...teach her to hack her own watch, she doesn't need you anymore! 8^o

Okay sounds like a good place to start. Look forward to reading that thread also. Will a shorter chair work? ..:-0

^^ That's my current setup. I have a counter-top height table and use a standard chair. I have to sit on a pillow to get my head to the right height tho, not optimal. I'd love to put together a nice bench but it's not much of a priority now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information