ETA 2824 question
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By BenchGuy
  • 1 Post By BenchGuy

Thread: ETA 2824 question

ETA 2824 question

Hi all,

first post so Hi, and apologies if my query has been answered before...but a search didn't lead to any answers.

So, I recently received my brand new ETA 2824 driven watch (not a cheap one btw, and made to MILSPEC). In my opinion an absolutely fantastic looking watch, BUT from day two I thought all was not right.

After winding, then wearing it found it to stop after a day or so. Bought an auto winder box and found it to do the same.

To my mind it seems that the auto wind function does not auto wind, BUT, even though it is under warranty, was wondering if there is some simple hack to get it to work. Unfortunately the watch and I live in the opposite hemisphere to where the watch was purchased, and even a little further from where the brand it located.

To say I am disappointed is to say the least, but perhaps it is just "finger trouble" and someone might be able to set me straight.

Thanks very much in advance for any advice.

Cheers

af_seq (Aus)

Re: ETA 2824 question

Quote Originally Posted by af_seq View Post
    Hi all,

first post so Hi, and apologies if my query has been answered before...but a search didn't lead to any answers.

So, I recently received my brand new ETA 2824 driven watch (not a cheap one btw, and made to MILSPEC). In my opinion an absolutely fantastic looking watch, BUT from day two I thought all was not right.

After winding, then wearing it found it to stop after a day or so. Bought an auto winder box and found it to do the same.

To my mind it seems that the auto wind function does not auto wind, BUT, even though it is under warranty, was wondering if there is some simple hack to get it to work. Unfortunately the watch and I live in the opposite hemisphere to where the watch was purchased, and even a little further from where the brand it located.

To say I am disappointed is to say the least, but perhaps it is just "finger trouble" and someone might be able to set me straight.

Thanks very much in advance for any advice.

Cheers

af_seq (Aus)
    How stiff is it to manual wind, and does manual winding make the oscillating weight spin? Last week I had a brand new Sw200 in which the factory seemed to have omitted reverser wheel lubrication entirely.

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk
    I'm on instagram at christopherswatchmaking

Bounder,

watch seems to wind fine, but have no way of knowing if the oscillating weight spins when winding.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Bounder,

watch seems to wind fine, but have no way of knowing if the oscillating weight spins when winding.
    Pretty sure you would feel it moving ... the balance of the watch would shift a bit as the rotor turned, and you would probably hear it as well. Also, winding would be fairly stiff, as you would be moving more gears and weight.

First off, post the watch, second, hand wind it about 40 turns which should get it to full power. Let it sit and see when it stops. Should be about 38 hours. If all's good wind it a few times, slap it on your wrist and at the end of the day, take it off, check if it's running in the morning and just keep track of the time it's been running. Maybe you are not active enough to keep it wound, you know, sitting at a desk. Little things like that have a big affect on autos. That's why i like manual winds, wind it in the morning and you're good to go.
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

Tinknocker is describing a power reserve test. My suggestion is to put 60 full turns on the crown to insure that it is fully wound for this test. Note the date and time. Leave the watch stationary, dial up or down on a horizontal surface and note the date and time when it stops.
    If you are not getting 38-40 hours before stoppage...return for warranty service.
    If it is running 38-40 hours, then the autowinding may be an issue.
    From "power depleted and watch stopped" condition, put it on the auto winder and continue to cycle until it has been wound 1200 turns. This will fully power the mainspring. Repeat the PR test. If not 38-40 hours there is an issue.

Short story...if there is a problem, you have a warranty...use it. No one can diagnose your issue with certainty over the internet.
    Once you crack the case to execute a well-intentioned "hack"...your warranty is void.
    ...(not a cheap one btw, and made to MILSPEC)...
    Do you really want to risk your investment on a "hack"?
    Regards, BG

Bounder,

If it spins, you will definitely know it. The first time I experienced it, I thought my watch was coming apart. Keep in mind though, that unless the reverser is jammed solid, it won’t always cause the rotor to spin. It spins best when the watch is dial up or dial down, where it’s not having to work against gravity. Held just so, you can find that you can make the rotor spin on many watches as one reverser will have more friction than the other (I’m speaking of dual-direction winders, of which ETA 2824 and its derivatives are). If it spins when it’s held in another position, you have a stuck rotor and it won’t automatically wind. I find this unusual.
    If it's a good meter, it's a Fluke.
    Hang my self when I get enough rope. (It's a Tubes lyric, from the mid 70's; song's called "White Punks on Dope". Enough said?)
    The difference between 12 and 21 is dyslexia.

Many thanks for the replies.

Wound the watch as mention and laced it in the watch winder. Found that it lasted 29 hours and then stopped. The watch winder could not keep it going.

Will see how it goes on the wrist for lasting, and have emailed the dealer to discuss possible warranty remedy.

Once again, thanks for the replies and advice.

Cheers

Many thanks for the replies.

Wound the watch as mention and laced it in the watch winder. Found that it lasted 29 hours and then stopped. The watch winder could not keep it going.

Will see how it goes on the wrist for lasting, and have emailed the dealer to discuss possible warranty remedy.

Once again, thanks for the replies and advice.

Cheers
    No point in further testing.
    You have a warranty...use it, regardless of how inconvenient.
    Alternatively allow the warranty to be voided by having a watchmaker service and repair the issue(s), at your expense.
    Regards, BG
    Joe Horner likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BenchGuy View Post
    No point in further testing.
    You have a warranty...use it, regardless of how inconvenient.
    Alternatively allow the warranty to be voided by having a watchmaker service and repair the issue(s), at your expense.
    Regards, BG
    ^^^^ This. You’ve done your due diligence in terms of diagnosing the issue. Time to send it back.

Thread Information