filing acrylic domed crystal

Thread: filing acrylic domed crystal

filing acrylic domed crystal

hi all, a quick question, recently ive bought an Avia 15 jewels 9ct watch from the bay, upon close inspection when it arrived i've found the domed crystal edge has slipped a little upwards on one point thereby exposing the dial to air. it seems that the watch has been fitted with a little bit too big of a crystal for the watch as i cannot push it to fit snugly inside the bezel. my question is, say if i dont want to bother to buy another crystal, is it recommended if i file the edge till i can fit it into the bezel. tq in advance for any reply/comments.

Depending on the crystal shape, there are two ways to fix it. The simple fix requires a cylindrical surface near the rim, i.e. a notch around the crystal that you fit with a crystal lift.
    The more difficult type is smooth near the rim & requires uncasing the movement and a crystal press.
    Look up a YouTube video on using a crystal lift & it will make more sense. The crystal lift is cheap & easy; the press not so much.
    Regarding your question, the answer is no, unless you want a bodge. I would also recommend using G&S adhesive for a tight, dust proof seal.
    Sounds like a watchmaker is in order. He can give you an idea about the state of service if he needs to uncase it.
    If it's a good meter, it's a Fluke.
    Hang my self when I get enough rope. (It's a Tubes lyric, from the mid 70's; song's called "White Punks on Dope". Enough said?)
    The difference between 12 and 21 is dyslexia.

Re: filing acrylic domed crystal

that's exactly what I'm afraid someone would suggest LOL, oh well, i will go to watchmaker if can find the time. thanks Mr ExpiredWtachDog.

Thread Information