Help and Advice on inserting stem the right way!
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Help and Advice on inserting stem the right way!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Help and Advice on inserting stem the right way!

I seem to have bad luck inserting stems into movements. I want to ask the knowledgeable folk here what exactly is the right way (predictable and repeatable) to insert the stem. I have an ETA2824 that keeps getting stuck in date set mode. I am able to partially open the movement and put the stem in, try a few times, then when I put everything together, the stem refuses to go in.

I also have a DG3804B. I attempted to change the DWO on this and was successful. I screwed on everything, put the dial and hands and put the movement in a case. Now the stem refuses to go in. I hate to keep having to open this movement from the top side because last time I did, the spring/filament that works with date set gear flew out. I managed to find it in the carpet, but don't think I will get lucky again.

So the key question is, how is this done reliably.

Do we put the movement in hand set position? OR it should be in winding position for me to pull out the stem?
    I've heard different things from different people...some say put it in winding more, so there no way the spring can fall out of the pinion. Others say, put it in hand-set mode and gently insert.

Do we press the detent when inserting the stem back? OR do we just push the stem in and hope everything works?

How to ensure minute parts don't fly out? Or if they do, their flight is restricted?
    (I am going to try and work on this DG3804 inside a ziplock baggie. This I feel will be difficult, but I seem to be able to work on small parts without needing magnification).

Please help!
    tonyR90 likes this.

Unfortunately I do not know these movements but generally speaking:
    1) some movements require you to put the stem in the hand setting position before taking it out and some must be done in winding position. You need to get the answer for your movement as there is no universal answer.
    2) the movements I worked on, when you put the stem back, you push it till it stops, press the release button, push the stem deeper. I would assume this would be the case for pretty all movements.

As far as small parts flying: yes, they do. You can work under a plastic cover (taking the dail off). But the rule is, when you work on an unknown movement, you take the parts out very carefully and constantly looking for spring loaded parts. When you see one, use Rodico to immobilize it while trying to release the spring. Same when you put it back. Use Rodico. I hope this helps.

Re: Help and Advice on inserting stem the right way!

Thank you Odessa200!

As fas as ETA2824 goes, youtube has some videos and when it comes to pulling the stem, only 1 of them (AFAIT) stated putting into hand-setting mode.

For the GMT movement - doesn't clearly show what this person is doing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Also BTW, it appears he is pushing the stem back in without depressing the detent.

Here's another one showing inserting stem without detent depress...

So I take it for these movements, while stem insertion, there is no need to depress the detent, and these people seem to be doing it quite easily without much pressure on the stem either. Why does that not work for me?

Quote Originally Posted by aphtk View Post
    Here's another one showing inserting stem without detent depress...

So I take it for these movements, while stem insertion, there is no need to depress the detent, and these people seem to be doing it quite easily without much pressure on the stem either. Why does that not work for me?

It didn’t work for the person in the video either...

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    It didn’t work for the person in the video either...
    Well, technically, he did insert it, so the video title isn't lying exactly :D

Personally, I tend to do them in winding position with a gentle turn as you insert to let the square of the stem enter the winding pinion. You can feel (and see on the crown wheel) when it engages, just don't insert all the way before. Doesn't work so well on clones (wider tolerances) and doesn't work at all on many Chinese movements but, if it does lose the return bar, you can usually recover the situation by removing the barrel bridge rather than stripping the front.

on clones or Chinese movements then, is it advisable to insert stem in hand-set position then?

as always Joe, thanks for helping out!

DON

Never worked on a ETA auto, but I always leave the setting in the wind position, so I don't have to hunt and peck to find the setting lever stud

Should point out I mainly work on vintage with no other position than wind and set, but have worked on some date models

Press detent down to allow easier access of the stem into the proper position

DON

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Horner View Post
    Well, technically, he did insert it, so the video title isn't lying exactly :D

Personally, I tend to do them in winding position with a gentle turn as you insert to let the square of the stem enter the winding pinion. You can feel (and see on the crown wheel) when it engages, just don't insert all the way before. Doesn't work so well on clones (wider tolerances) and doesn't work at all on many Chinese movements but, if it does lose the return bar, you can usually recover the situation by removing the barrel bridge rather than stripping the front.
    The video was made to show that doing it this way can cause a problem, per the video description:

"The video shows that removing winding stem in winding position could cause a problem when the stem is insert."

So user aphtk posted this as a success, not realizing it was demonstrating a failure.

I don't work on "clones" or Chinese movements, so I have no experience with the problems they may present. On a genuine ETA (or even a Sellita) movement, I've never had an issue removing and inserting the stem in the winding position.

Cheers, Al
    Joe Horner likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information