Help with info on watchmaster ultrasonic cleaner WT - Page 13
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Help with info on watchmaster ultrasonic cleaner WT

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Re: Help with info on watchmaster ultrasonic cleaner WT

Thanks for the clues above. @Richard1079, I have a set of bushings on order, didn't think I'd need the spring at $30 or that I can source an equivalent for much less (even at Grainger). @ccwatchmaker, are you using an o-ring in place of the spring? I just noticed that my fan is hit-and-miss, sometimes it turns and sometimes the spring slips. I lubricated the bushings, cut about a quarter inch from the spring and also cleaned it and both pulleys, all to no avail. My next though is to source an o-ring.
    I used to not be afraid of sharks; I could always swim faster than my dive buddy. She's getting good enough to scare me again.
    What's the service interval on a winder?
    The hamster doesn't see it that way.

Yes, I use a Viton O-ring to drive the fan from the lower groove of the motor pulley. The upper groove of the motor pulley drives the drying cup with an O-ring securely fitted in the groove. This smaller O-ring provides the friction to drive the cup directly from the motor pulley by pressing against the base of the cup.

The Viton O-ring has been very long-lived. I can't recall when I put it in, but it's been many years. I am sure it is quieter and there is less wear on the pulleys than using a steel spring.

James Sadilek -- ccwatchmaker

Quote Originally Posted by ccwatchmaker View Post
    This smaller O-ring provides the friction to drive the cup directly from the motor pulley by pressing against the base of the cup.
    I have wondered about this rubber ring that drives the cup; mine is original and in good shape but if it ever gives out, where would I find a replacement? it has a triangular cross-section so it's definitely a custom-made moulding, not an off the shelf part. Are you saying you have replaced it with an o-ring? I'm afraid to take mine off for fear of damaging it.
    I used to not be afraid of sharks; I could always swim faster than my dive buddy. She's getting good enough to scare me again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If the original triangular cross-section cup driving ring is performing satisfactorily, then there is no reason to change it. However, I'd think that using a round cross-section ring would provide a reliable drive. If I were replacing the ring, I would try to find a Viton ring, the same material as the fan drive belt, because Viton will survive under the heat better than the more common Buna-N rings.

James Sadilek -- ccwatchmaker

Thanks for the info. Do you lubricate the fan bushings? I ask because I put some 30 weight mineral oil on the bearings Saturday night and it seems that they are tighter than they were before I lubricated them. Particularly the inside of the fan bushing against the steel shaft, even without being inside the fan. When it does spin, the fan spins on the outside of the bushing which can't help.

I have a replacement set on the way so I expect they will fix the problem, but if there is some incompatibility with mineral oil, then I'll avoid it. In any case, I'll order an additional set as I'd hate the supply to dry up then have to figure out where to get individual parts.

Unless advised otherwise, I'll either run it dry or use silicone oil which should be pretty inert. I have a copy of the manual but it doesn't say anything about maintenance (other than contact Bulova).

Edit: I've got a shoebox of o-rings of many different sizes, many of them are red. I'll go through and see if I can't find something for the fan belt. The cup drive will stay on 'till it dies.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Thread Information