Help with waltham pocket watch dissassembly

Thread: Help with waltham pocket watch dissassembly

Help with waltham pocket watch dissassembly

Hello,

This is my first ever waltham. A 15 jewel english market gold filled hunter. As you can see, there is a lot of brassing and a wonderful engraving on the case.

The crystal is missing, lovely blued hands (just a spot of rust on the mimute hand).

The balance appears to be ok and it runs on and off. My guess is that the crystal broke and it was put away. From the condition of the movement it appears to have never been serviced! So that is what i will do next.

I got the movement out of the case. There is a ring around it that I cannot get off (i do not want to force it off!). There are three little pips around this ring (marked in the image).

Could someone tell me how to get this ring off? OR do i continue with dissassembly with the ring on? Thanks in advance for your help.

Aditya

Re: Help with waltham pocket watch dissassembly

Aditya,
    The movement (dust) ring should come off easily with a little coaxing. Be sure your case screws are not in the way. As you are taking the whole movement down, you might as well remove them. These rings can get hung up on the winding pinion but with a screw driver placed below the ring, they can be manipulated off the movement.

Nice looking piece. I love the English styled cases.

Dave

sheffield-birthplace of the 'dreadnought'

aditya

as dave already said, it should pry up easily with a screwdriver but start at the other side as, where the winding stem goes in, the collar stands slightly proud and makes it difficult to get the band over...

here's my waltham, like yours it has a movement that is not original to the case (the three digits on the case should match the last three digits of the serial# on the top plate)
    this one needs a new mainspring as when it's wound the broken (or worn) spring can be felt to slip, also it only runs for about 5/6 hours...

i'll have to source a mainspring for it

regards, john

ps, sorry for the poor pics

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Good point John. I should have mentioned which side to approach it from.
    As for the spring you require, you will also likely need a decorative "washer" as it were that fits atop the winding wheel (barrel). It looks as if yours is missing. Let me know (PM) and I might be able to assist.
    Dave

Thanks for the tips Dave & John,

I hope to get another watch in working order this weekend. Hopefully, I will have time left over to atleast dismantle this one.

By the way John, the rachet wheel and transmission wheel appear to have been swapped in our movements. I guess that is because your is open face and mine is a hunter.

Kind regards

Aditya

Thread Information