How easy is it to modify a 3 hander (sub-seconds) watch into a two hander?
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: How easy is it to modify a 3 hander (sub-seconds) watch into a two hander?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How easy is it to modify a 3 hander (sub-seconds) watch into a two hander?

I say I didn't want the sub-dial on the face of the dial (and I can get a replacement dial that doesn't have a sub-seconds dial/hole) how easy is it to convert a 3 hander movement with sub-seconds into a two hander with no second hand at all?

Re: How easy is it to modify a 3 hander (sub-seconds) watch into a two hander?

Shoemaker way - easy. Just clip the second hand post that sticks up and do not install the second hand.

Proper way - buy a new canon pinion and fourth wheel specifically for a 2 hand version of your movement (assuming that movement comes with that option. You will need to disassemble though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    seagullfan and Valksing like this.

I'll enquire with the factory that is producing this movement and see if they can do this - definitely want the proper way rather than snipping the post.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If you have a lathe and medium skills not too big a deal. A lot of movements used the same jewel/pivot size regardless of if there was an extended pivot or not. Shortening a long pivot correctly requires lathe work, or finding original parts.

lvt

Just buy another watch with the technical specifications that suit you.
    Benjamin Barrera likes this.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Nail clippers.

KIDDING!!!!!!
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

Ha - thanks for the more unorthodox suggestions. I should have clarified that the reason I'm looking to do this is I'm currently considering using a particular movement in a watch for manufacturing purposes. Hence I may be able to contact the factory and ask them to create a 2 hander version of their 3 hander movement (if all it requires is for the factory to create a (simpler?) 4th wheel). The main question now is if I can get them to manufacture such a modification for a 300 movement order.

Just replace it with a 2 hander quartz movement, no-one will notice the difference

(also kidding)
    (or am I?)
    "Normally I get my stuff from dealers"

Here's a classic: https://youtu.be/aCPRfA6W00k

I'll buy anything made by Ford honestly

Quote Originally Posted by GeneJockey View Post
    Nail clippers.

KIDDING!!!!!!
    You might be kidding, but it happens...this is from the factory by the way on a watch I got in for service that had the seconds hand deleted on that specific model...

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    You might be kidding, but it happens...this is from the factory by the way on a watch I got in for service that had the seconds hand deleted on that specific model...
    Clearly, they weren't using the $200 Bergeon nail clippers...

Though what this really reminds me of is "What the eye don't see, the cook gets away with."
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information