Making minor adjustments to hand hole?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Making minor adjustments to hand hole?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Making minor adjustments to hand hole?

I bought a few of hour/minute hands from a well known online store matching the hole diameters for an NH36 movement. However the minute hand is always loose. I went back to the minute hand that came with the watch and it fits and works fine. I contacted the seller and they insist that the dimensions are correct but the item might need "minor adjustments".The hands aren't very expensive so I'm ok experimenting, but I have two questions:- Is this actually common to have to do? I have ordered 3 sets of hands from this seller with the same results.- How do I actually accomplish this? The hands are so delicate. Clearly I'm supposed to press the flange in somehow. Just some minor pressure from pliers?

Re: Making minor adjustments to hand hole?

The hands holes have tolerances and the shafts, too, You normally will have to match them to thightly fit.
    Therefore you have a brace you press the hands in and carefully fit the hole to the shaft diameter

https://watchparts24.de/Feine-Zapfen...ser-005-025-mm

This one is for bigger hands but in principle..
    https://www.google.com/search?q=zeig...AUoAnoECAwQAg&

The hands holes have tolerances and the shafts, too, You normally will have to match them to thightly fit.
    Therefore you have a brace you press the hands in and carefully fit the hole to the shaft diameter

https://watchparts24.de/Feine-Zapfen...ser-005-025-mm

This one is for bigger hands but in principle..
    https://www.google.com/search?q=zeig...AUoAnoECAwQAg&

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

https://www.google.com/search?q=zeig...zAY3QiE1gf5ajM

https://www.google.com/search?q=zeig..._UR25U0-cgG1nM

Not sure if they 'd fit your needs but the one part is to support the hand and the other to open up the hands hole .. and minor means someway 0.02..0.03mm

Quote Originally Posted by monday View Post
    I bought a few of hour/minute hands from a well known online store matching the hole diameters for an NH36 movement. However the minute hand is always loose. I went back to the minute hand that came with the watch and it fits and works fine. I contacted the seller and they insist that the dimensions are correct but the item might need "minor adjustments".The hands aren't very expensive so I'm ok experimenting, but I have two questions:- Is this actually common to have to do? I have ordered 3 sets of hands from this seller with the same results.- How do I actually accomplish this? The hands are so delicate. Clearly I'm supposed to press the flange in somehow. Just some minor pressure from pliers?
    I'm no watch repair expert...with that said, I have experienced the same thing on swapping watch hands. The minutes or hours hands were just barely not tight enough. Bump the watch and see the hand slip.

It's something I now always check before closing a case.

What I've done that works for me is to gently stake the hole from the back with a fine screwdriver blade while bracing the hand properly. Then test fit and stake again as needed.

And I don't mean with a mallet as in driving a stake into the ground, but enough pressure across the opening to spread the metal inwardly a micro mm or so. Usually works in one try.

Good luck with yours.
    dirtvictim likes this.

Thank you for the responses, Steve0 and MechaMind. I haven't tried yet but possibly this weekend.

Way back when I was a machinist, we would occasionally make tapped holes that were too big and the no-go gauge would go in. To pass inspection, we upset them slightly with a ball bearing about 3 to 4 times the size of the hole. You just place the ball bearing over the hole so it centers on the hole by itself and whack it with a hammer until the no-go gauge doesn't go in anymore. Yeah, it was cheating, but it did work.

Perhaps the right sized ball bearing will correct your problem.
    Steve0 likes this.
    If it's a good meter, it's a Fluke.
    Hang my self when I get enough rope. (It's a Tubes lyric, from the mid 70's; song's called "White Punks on Dope". Enough said?)
    The difference between 12 and 21 is dyslexia.

I don't think that it will help. For tightening holes th process you deycribe needs material thickness. Same process you usually use wirh shaftbushings, pressing a ring shape around the hole . And hoping that, due to materal compression the diameter of the hole will be tightened.. but for all this you need soft brass in a certain thickness. Not hard rolled one on minimum thickness on 0.2 mm or below. If it would happen the rim wold minimum fall in, but without a flat cylinder surface a true fitting will not happen.

Quote Originally Posted by MechaMind View Post
    ...If it would happen the rim wold minimum fall in, but without a flat cylinder surface a true fitting will not happen.
    Well it worked on inspectors!
    Hang my self when I get enough rope. (It's a Tubes lyric, from the mid 70's; song's called "White Punks on Dope". Enough said?)

OP, you mention "flange" and upsetting it with pliers. Does the hand have a ferrule (cylinder attached to the flat portion)? If so, you can try the watchmakers hair trick; you grab a hair & yank it out, then place it in the hole before you press the hand onto the canon pinion. Trim the results as required. Actually it might work even if there is no ferrule.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information