Movement Holder Advice

Thread: Movement Holder Advice

Movement Holder Advice

I'm looking to add a dedicated 11 1/2 ligne movement holder to my toolbox for working on ETA 2824 (and friends) movements. I have a Bergeon 4040 which is adequate, but I remember DonLuis recommending a dedicated one and I've noticed that the 4040 has several protrusions to catch with your fingers and is quite light so it's easy to knock around. I'm considering the following two and wonder what your impressions are. (Pictures courtesy of Esslinger)

Bergeon 1996:

Name:  Bergeon 1966 Movement Holder.GIF
Views: 35
Size:  21.2 KB

It looks beefy and heavy, not likely to move easily. The downside is that the movement doesn't clamp in place like a 4040. Does the movement fit well enough that it doesn't need to be clamped, or do I need to worry about it hopping out at the worst time? They advertise that the hollow adjustable screw in the center is to support the movement when installing hands. Necessary or fluff?

Bergeon 5914:

Name:  Bergeon 5914 Movement Holder.GIF
Views: 36
Size:  20.0 KB

This looks to have a split ring with a tapered screw that adjusts the diameter, possibly to clamp down on the movement. Does it actually allow the holder to tighten up on the movement? It looks taller, lighter and less stable than the 1996. Is this the case? Also, no adjusting screw, will I miss it?

Note that I'm not cack-handed but I do notice that the 4040 occasionally moves when least expected and I'm trying to increase my odds of success as best I can.

Thanks for any advice.
    Dave
    It rubs it's skin with the lotion, or else it gets the hose again!
    I love the smell of carbamide in the morning, it smells like VICTORY.
    That ain't a double, I just like to stutter.

Re: Movement Holder Advice

Horotech Makes a plastic holder for 2824-2

The difference with the 4040 is that movement is not clamped but seating in the holder making it less likely to flip over.

So you'd recommend it? The price is certainly better than the Bergeon models. It looks like the long skinny slot allows it to stretch to fit the movement. Does the movement snap into place, i.e. is there resistance to the movement coming out (can I turn it over without the movement falling out)?
    It rubs it's skin with the lotion, or else it gets the hose again!
    I love the smell of carbamide in the morning, it smells like VICTORY.
    That ain't a double, I just like to stutter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have one of one those cheapo Chinese ones that they sell on EBay. It is a dedicated 11-1/2 ligne movement holder, but it does not hold the movement very securely. I also have the green Horotec holder that is pictured. It isn’t particularly solid, but works pretty well. One thing I like about it is that its profile is low enough that it fits in my hand setting press. I have never tried flipping it upside down to see if the movement remained in place, but I doubt that it would — it does not clamp the movement in place like a Bergeon 4040 does.