Newbie in the watch business and to this forum. Ask me anything! - Page 3
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Newbie in the watch business and to this forum. Ask me anything!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Newbie in the watch business and to this forum. Ask me anything!

You're definitely right on the consumer side, and better education (I don't consider the brands marketing as education) would put the power where it belongs, with the customer. Unfortunately, beside the WIS population, the rest of the world is ignorant in what goes into a watch and the history. Which is why we see people behaving irrational when it comes to certain brands and models, effectively giving away their power to the brands.

Regarding our OP, we may have scared him away :) (joking of course). But since he is in marketing, it would be really nice if he could comment.

Quote Originally Posted by utzelu View Post
    You're definitely right on the consumer side, and better education (I don't consider the brands marketing as education) would put the power where it belongs, with the customer. Unfortunately, beside the WIS population, the rest of the world is ignorant in what goes into a watch and the history. Which is why we see people behaving irrational when it comes to certain brands and models, effectively giving away their power to the brands.

Regarding our OP, we may have scared him away :) (joking of course). But since he is in marketing, it would be really nice if he could comment.
    Yes - expecting the consumer to revolt when they have no clue what goes on is just magical thinking. In particular when the brands have all the power to communicate and send out messages like the one that only they can service the watch properly.

In this case, the only real solution here is regulation by government - the same reason why in most jurisdictions you can buy parts for your car. The car companies don't let you buy parts out of the goodness of their hearts or because of market demands - it's because right to repair laws say they must.

Cheers, Al
    Weetabix likes this.

Did they give you one of "their" watches to replace the inox, for work purposes of course? Or maybe a big discount?
    Just curious if brand representation among their employees is important.

Also, do watch brands, or yours, have plans on reaching younger clientele or securing the industry against modern technologies ie. my kid can have a iPhone and a Seiko automatic and appreciate and use both?

Thanks and Welcome!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I foresee the OP quickly getting overwhelmed with difficult-to-answer questions.

Quote Originally Posted by fourthirteen View Post
    I foresee the OP quickly getting overwhelmed with difficult-to-answer questions.
    Yeah, but he can just decline to answer due to confidentiality reasons, or just touch on the topics being asked in a way that doesn't disclose company's plans. I'd expect a marketing person to be well versed in talking a lot about something without actually saying much :)
    fourthirteen and maillchort like this.

Mr. theneutralswiss.
    I have a questions. You say we can ask anything.
    What do you mean when you say you are a "product manager". Which product, one particular?
    "I've been told to consult this forum to get some knowledge about the industry." Really? You believe your own words?

Looks like I have posted the right question and ‘touched the nerve’. The OP had placed his topic in the wrong section of the forum. He should have placed it where people discuss and admire Swiss watches but he chose a Watchmaking section. Watchmakers are the most disadvantages group of people. The watchmaker business is not thriving due to the smartwatches and now additional restrictions with the parts (and parts are the blood for the watchmaker business).

Personally I do not believe that much in the government (especially swiss government) forcing companies into selling parts. Swiss government is happy to collect taxes from the swiss companies that monopolized the swiss watch repairing and charge inflated fees.

Why the companies decided to do this? In my view, its ‘grab and run’. There are a few generations growing up w/o watches. They will not be splurging on watches as prior generations did. The sales will decline and the companies try to maximize the $ extraction while they can.
    Weetabix likes this.

Nobody is asking the obvious question.

Where the heck did I leave my glasses this time?
    ZisguyZaphod likes this.
    1979 5513 Submariner
    1977 Timex Milspec Custom Conversion
    1966 Timex 600 Skindiver
    1969 Benrus US Military Issued
    1961 Belforte Sheppard AFB
    1961 Omega Seamaster

"Time spent waiting between the seconds is only conspiring to make me older" DV 2018
    "I don't always agree with everybody but when I do it's because I'm Right"
    DV 2011
    Dirtvictim The Watch Mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtvictim View Post
    Nobody is asking the obvious question.

Where the heck did I leave my glasses this time?
    Usually it's the dumbest place possible. At least it is for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Unc Sam View Post
    Usually it's the dumbest place possible. At least it is for me!
    My friend always says ," it's the last place you look ".

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information