Newbie in the watch business and to this forum. Ask me anything!
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Newbie in the watch business and to this forum. Ask me anything!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Newbie in the watch business and to this forum. Ask me anything!

Hello everyone, I'd like to inform you that I have just started to work for a Swiss Watch company, a very prestigous one as a product manager. I've been told to consult this forum to get some knowledge about the industry.

Some information about me:

26 years old, Swiss National, Bachelor in Economics and had absolutely no affiliation to watches beforehand. The only watch I owned is a Victorinox Inox which is the standard swiss army issued watch.

Company is a well known Swiss watch brand located in the western part of Switzerland.

Thank you and looking forward for some wonderful hours spending here!

Congrats on your new job and welcome.
    Based on what I read, most of the prestigious swiss brands recently made it nearly impossible to source parts for their watches. All repairs and service must go via the company itself and obviously cost way more than my local watchmaker would charge me. Do you find this a move in the right direction with an open global economy?

Cheers
    maillchort and leastonh like this.

Re: Newbie in the watch business and to this forum. Ask me anything!

" I've been told to consult this forum to get some knowledge about the industry. "
    Congratulation
    theneutralswiss likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I guess this thread would be better served if it is moved to the Public area. I bet you will get flooded with questions there :)

Wait, shouldn't you be asking the questions?
    No worries, luckily I have my WIS Rorschach Test handy.
    Okay, let's start here...now tell me what you see?
    Name:  20191105_191837_1572949202710.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  29.1 KB

Jokes aside, welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by Mr.Jones82; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:37.
    Cobia and Weetabix like this.
    Omega: Aqua Terra 220.10.41.21.03.001
    Grand Seiko: SBGV223, SBGV205
    Oris: Aquis, Pro Pilot
    Sinn: LE 556i
    Longines: Conquest V.H.P.
    G Shock: MTG-B1000D-1A,
    GW-9400-3, GMW-B5000D-1, GMW-B5000GD-1, GX-56BB, GW-B5600GZ-1, GW-B5600FB-4JR, GW-M5610MW-7JF, GW-M5610MD-7JF, GW-B5600BC-1ER, GW-B5600-2ER, GW-B5600HR-1, GW-B5600AR-1, GW-5000-1JF, GM-5600B-3, GA-2100-4AER, DW-5600SK-1, DW-5600SB-3

What brand?

Just kidding. What is your job as product manager?

Is your brand in one of the Big Groups and if so how bleak/good do things look? I heard that Swatch and Richemont are looking to eliminate 1000 positions each... and I know there are a lot of watchmakers here already looking for work.

Any response on the parts issue? I just made a set lever (bascule) for a Corum Ti-Bridge (haha, but seriously).

Well, I do have a bunch of questions, but I bet none of the suits working in the industry want to hear any of them.
    maillchort likes this.

Congrats on the Job, looking forward to getting some insight from you on the industry as a whole , once you settle in to the new position

Thank you for your warm welcome.

The worldwide trend to move towards in-house movements. More and more manufactures are switching from ETA/Selitta towards own calibres, as customers want exclusivity and speciality.

Regarding your questions about he source parts. You are indeed correct, that we have the policy to only repair and service in our boutiques or at designated watch repair centers. I am not able to tell you if this is the right directions, but it is the opinion of our management, that we can only ensure a certain standard of quality if we are able to control the complete repair process.

Furthermore to train independent watchmakers world wide and ensure that they are up to date is quite costly.

A well known brand :P

I am basically responsible to implement the global brand strategy, which is defined by the board in to a market. Each Product Manager has a designated region.

My daily work is communicating with the sales people of this particular region and try to develop a marketing strategy, create campaigns etc.

Yes the manufactures is part of one the luxury groups. I don't have much information about the overall situation, of course Hongkong is biting us, but there is no short-time work or lay offs within the group. I have however heard of suppliers (of cases, case parts, movements parts) which are struggling.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information