Open source timing software. - Page 33
Like Tree162Likes

Thread: Open source timing software.

Page 33 of 41 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 LastLast

Re: Open source timing software.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido Velasquez View Post
    About calibration: Would it be possible to use the internet SNTP Client?
    Hi!

Unfortunately not. There are several sources of timing inside a personal computer, for instance the real time clock, the clock of the audio card, the internet (via time servers). Trouble is that computers are not very good at synchronizing between them, even more if you want to do it in a cross-platform way.

Quote Originally Posted by contrate_wheel View Post
    We may try. Can you send me some recordings of your stopwatches? (I will be on vacations until September, but then I will have time to look into it...)
    OK! I can do that. I will also be away a lot this month (and early next month), so may have to wait until September, anyhow. I have two different 360000bph stopwatches, so I guess I'll record both. One of them is one revolution per second for the main sweep hand, while the other is once per 3 seconds.

contrate_wheel,

I just wanted to thank you (and all the other contributors) for your work, I've messed with regulating my 7S26 movements in the past by measuring the time difference after a day or two, but this piece of software works great. I am using a cheap microsoft USB webcam with built in microphone (had it laying around), and it works great. I haven't tried calibrating yet as I don't have any working Quartz analog watches (all the batteries have died and I haven't bothered replacing them!).

Thanks again,
    Ed
    linux.author likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

A quick question from a newcomer yet to evaluate the tg program.
    How long does it take to calibrate tg?
    What does the calibration length depend on?

I plan to calibrate tg by the RWM station (at 4996 kHz which I receive clear and loud) 1 Hz pulses - fed directly from my SW receiver to my laptop by an audio cable (no speakers and microphones involved).
    The only thing: RWM sends 1 Hz pulses for 9 minutes and 55 seconds, and I read (here, in the Forum) that tg may take as long as ~15 minutes to calibrate, so the signal may end up earlier (than those 15 minutes).

Please comment.
    Thank you in advance.

Warm regards,
    Tony

mr. tony:

i used guidance from this post (as recommended by Tg's author):

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f6/open...l#post29970370

i calibrate tg (for different USB dongle audio inputs) using an older quartz watch, and the process takes only a few minutes (on a Macbook Air or a Raspberry Pi 3B)

regards,

willie
    on the cooling Gulf of Mexico
    Last edited by linux.author; October 7th, 2017 at 12:59.

linux.author, thanks for the help.
    It turned out that the RWM's signal contains some extra pulses, which are easily recognised to be ignore by a human but affect the calibration process.
    I'll experiment with a 1PPS output of a GPS receiver.

As a side question:
    • if I see the positive s/d value (+) this meant the watch gains time (i.e. is fast), it the s/d value is negative (-) this means the watch is slow. Right?

It turned out that the RWM's signal contains some extra pulses, which are easily recognised to be ignore by a human but affect the calibration process.

As a side question:
    • if I see the positive s/d value (+) this meant the watch gains time (i.e. is fast), it the s/d value is negative (-) this means the watch is slow. Right?

It turned out that the RWM's signal contains some extra pulses, which are easily recognised to be ignored by a human but affect the calibration process.

As a side question:
    • if I see the positive s/d value (+) this means the watch gains time (i.e. is fast), it the s/d value is negative (-) this means the watch is slow. Right?

I tried the software and I like it, since I do not have a timegrapher - still a beginner in this field. I managed to calibrate the software, and to test accuracy of the watch I wear right now. However, I do have problems with the microphone. I think it is very weak, since it is sometimes very hard to pick up the watch beat.

What kind of microphone do you recommend? Should I always open the watch and put the microphone as close as possible to the movement? Should I put some kind of bowl above the microphone and watch, to keep it isolated from the surrounding noise?

Quote Originally Posted by booBot View Post
    In my experiments, the PPS signal was too hot for the mic (and possibly line) input. I rigged up a resistive voltage divider to knock the level down. I tried a few values before I found a combo that works, and I forget what values I used in the end, but 80K/4k ohm is a good place to start. I'm not even gonna try ascii art, but connect the 80k & 4k in series, then connect the PPS signal across both resistors, and the input to you soundcard across the 4k resistor. If you're not comfortable soldering, this would be easy to do on one of those friction-fit breadboards (like https://www.adafruit.com/product/65 , but they come in many other sizes), with some wire jumpers.

Or, if you can find some way to get an audible click out of the GPS for the PPS signal, just hold the mic up to it
    contrate_wheel likes this.

Page 33 of 41 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 LastLast

Thread Information