Open source timing software. - Page 34
Like Tree162Likes

Thread: Open source timing software.

Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 LastLast

Re: Open source timing software.

Sorry for my slow responses...

@jisham Fabulous, thanks a lot for sharing this!

@booBot To shorten the calibration period, which makes sense if you have a very clean signal to calibrate with, assuming that you can compile tg form the source code, it suffices to change this line in the file src/tg.h
    Code:
    #define CAL_DATA_SIZE 900
    The number 900 represents roughly the number of seconds of signal needed for the calibration, so with 900 it will take about 15 minutes. If you need it and you are unable to do the compilation, just drop me a PM and I will see what I can do for you...

edit: @blackarrow Ambient noise should not be a major issue, as long as you are in a relatively quiet environment. If you can, I would suggest to keep the watch in contact with the microphone, and otherwise as close as possible. Always keep in mind that mechanical watches are sensitive to magnetism, this is not a problem with piezo or capsule (electret) microphones, but magnets are used to keep the lid of certain laptops closed, so, if you are using a laptop, check first (just see if it attracts a paper clip or a needle).
    Last edited by contrate_wheel; October 11th, 2017 at 00:14.

Quote Originally Posted by contrate_wheel View Post
    @blackarrow Ambient noise should not be a major issue, as long as you are in a relatively quiet environment. If you can, I would suggest to keep the watch in contact with the microphone, and otherwise as close as possible. Always keep in mind that mechanical watches are sensitive to magnetism, this is not a problem with piezo or capsule (electret) microphones, but magnets are used to keep the lid of certain laptops closed, so, if you are using a laptop, check first (just see if it attracts a paper clip or a needle).
    Well, I do have some older pair of earphones which has integrated microphone in it. This way I could place the microphone with the watch at least 30 cm away from my laptop (if there are some magnets there). I am waiting for my demagnetizer to arrive, so I will demagnetize all of the watches and try again.

contrate_wheel, thank you for the excellent program! And for the help offer - I'll try to stay away from any acoustic channels during the calibration process, the all-electric 1PPS connection is (relatively) easy for me. It was just a haste/laziness when I tried the RWM timing reference signal. That was plain wrong way.
    With the 1PPS I will not be time-restricted, so let the tg take as long to calibrate as it needs to do it properly.
    Thanks again!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

contrate_wheel, thank you for the excellent program! And for the help offer - I'll try to stay away from any acoustic channels during the calibration process, the all-electric 1PPS connection is (relatively) easy for me. It was just a haste/laziness when I tried the RWM timing reference signal. That was plain wrong way.
    With the 1PPS I will not be time-restricted, so let the tg take as long to calibrate as it needs to do it properly.
    Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by blackarrow View Post
    Well, I do have some older pair of earphones which has integrated microphone in it. This way I could place the microphone with the watch at least 30 cm away from my laptop (if there are some magnets there). I am waiting for my demagnetizer to arrive, so I will demagnetize all of the watches and try again.
    If you have a smartphone with a magnetometer (pretty common this days) or a small compass, you can easily check if any of the watches got magnetized. For those that happen to be running Android, I recommend the Gauss Meter app. Either of these are also a good way to check if there are any potentially disturbing magnetic fields in your environment beforehand.

contrate_wheel

Thank you so much for two years of timegrapher

HAPPY 2nd ANNIVERSARY
    alvh likes this.

So I managed to lose my Korg piezo mic in a move, but wanted to report that it started to work decently well when I shaved away some of the rubber/plastic insulation material. Nevertheless, I've gone ahead and ordered the Cherub mic from Amazon and will report back this weekend after it arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by djolemag View Post
    Hi, yes, I would like to converse further about preamp and piezo.
    I think contrate_wheel would have something interesting to tell us about frequency range needed for TG.
    We all know that piezo has high impedance, so preamp should be adjusted according to that.
    Indeed. Apologies for being out of pocket for so long. I'm going to try the preamp/filter circuit with a number of types of watches and report back.

The circuit implements a band pass with gain. It looks like I'll want to experiment with the cutoff frequencies a little, maybe.

But so far it's worked pretty well with two (very loud) pocket watches, thanks to your fantastic algorithm. The amount of noise reduction is impressive (since my circuit isn't reducing noise quite enough for watch-o-scope to handle well)

End goal is a circuit board (either DIY or SMT, depending on if there's interest for one or the other), that fits inside a common enclosure.

Quote Originally Posted by djolemag View Post
    In next days I will try to get some guitar pickup with EQ and give it a try with TG.
    Sorry if I missed the updated, but did you have a chance to try this?

24h

I'm new to this and I'm looking for a timegrapher relatively cheap, even compared to some of them from China for $120-150.
    What microphone and amplifier would you recommend?

Thanks a lot!

Hi everyone,
    And thank you @Contrate_wheel for this software. I've been using it from day 1, and it has been evolving very well since then !

A QUESTION: My old laptop broke and I had to replace it. Now I don't have two separate jack inputs for mic and earphones but only one, which
    doesn't fit my mono mic :( I bought a couple of cheap USB audiocards on eBay but I cannot get the mic to work with them. Any experience with
    this issue ?!?! THANKS !

Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 LastLast

Thread Information