Open source timing software. - Page 36
Like Tree164Likes

Thread: Open source timing software.

Page 36 of 41 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 LastLast

Re: Open source timing software.

Pardon my ignorance - where is the binary for Mac OS? I see that I have to install through the terminal, but don't see the archive to download.

24h

Quote Originally Posted by MaxBottomTime View Post
    Pardon my ignorance - where is the binary for Mac OS? I see that I have to install through the terminal, but don't see the archive to download.
    From what I remember, you don't have to manually download the binaries yourself. It's all though Brew, and I think it will just download the source files from the repository name.

Macintosh

A formula for the Homebrew package manager has been prepared by GitHub user dmnc. To use it, you need to install Homebrew first (instructions on http://brew.sh).

Then run the following command to check everything is set up correctly and follow any instructions it gives you:
    Code:
    brew doctor
    To install tg, run:
    Code:
    brew install dmnc/horology/tg
    You can now launch tg by typing:
    Code:
    tg-timer &
    MaxBottomTime and dmnc like this.

Thanks - I didn't realize brew was a third party tool. I was extracting the source code and unix binary and not seeing anything named brew (so running a brew command in the extracted directory did nothing). I'm installing now

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

tks for the OS X install - i just upgraded to High Sierra and basically:

1. uninstalled brew
    2. installed brew
    3. installed:
    'brew install dmnc/horology/tg'

and now i'm back up with tg-timer!

tks!

works great and is a fabulous tool - most appreciated!

willie
    on the Gulf of Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by 24h View Post
    From what I remember, you don't have to manually download the binaries yourself. It's all though Brew, and I think it will just download the source files from the repository name. ...
    Are you aware of any downsides (space, security, whatever) to using Brew (not just for this, but for anything)? I remember some other package system that caused some grief back in the 9 or early 10 days.

24h

Quote Originally Posted by fearlessleader View Post
    Are you aware of any downsides (space, security, whatever) to using Brew (not just for this, but for anything)? I remember some other package system that caused some grief back in the 9 or early 10 days.
    Not a security expert, but I wouldn't really worry about it too much. Sure, installing this kind of software on your Macbook may open it up more to attacks but I think the risk is minimal.

The Korg mic didn't work for me until I used a pencil to couple the case back to the mic. I use a Behringer Xenxys 502 mic mixer ($40 on Amazon) into my desktop's mic/line input. The Korg is much noisier than the mics I use for music and voice recording, but the high and low EQ filters on the Behringer allow it to work. I have 13 watches and this rig works on all of them, although sometimes the degree field comes and goes. Sometimes it takes a an adjustment of the mic position and or level controls to get a "green signal," but this setup works and it's pretty cheap.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by audiomagnate; April 18th, 2018 at 02:09.

24h

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    The Korg mic didn't work for me until I used a pencil to couple the case back to the mic. I use a Behringer Xenxys 502 mic mixer ($40 on Amazon) into my desktop's mic/line input. The Korg is much noisier than the mics I use for music and voice recording, but the high and low EQ filters on the Behringer allow it to work. I have 13 watches and this rig works on all of them, although sometimes the degree field comes and goes. Sometimes it takes a an adjustment of the mic position and or level controls to get a "green signal," but this setup works and it's pretty cheap.
    You seem to know more about audio than me...
    I have some cheap clip on microphones (a few from China and one Korg). When I'm listening to the audio that is picked up, there is a very loud humming noise with some static in the background.
    Is this because the wires aren't shielded properly? Is there any way I can cut the current cord out of the microphone and replace it with a better shielded one?

My YouTube Channel for watch modding and I​nstagram for (mostly) Russian watches

The Korg and other cheap mics are what's called "unbalanced" (two wire) while professional recording technicians use balanced (three wire) cables and connectors. Balanced setups are much lower in noise. The mics that come with time graphing machines are also balanced, but more expensive and more difficult to connect to your computer. In short, the answer is no you can't rewire a cheap unbalanced mix to balanced, but simple tone controls like on my little Behringer mixer/mic preamp can reduce the noise enough to make the program work. Probably the best solution is to simply spend a little more and buy a balanced mic intended for the purpose for $69. You will still need to buy a preamp to interface this balanced mic with your computer. Now we're up around $100 for the mic and the preamp/mixer, which is close to the cost of a complete machine, but I prefer the software to the box.
    24h likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fearlessleader View Post
    Brew is very mature now. You used to be able to get in a bit of a mess back in the days of fink and, to a lesser extent, macports after that, but those issues are all nicely worked out now and everything is kept separate from the underlying operating system.

Obviously it will take up a little space but will be very minimal compared to most modern desktop applications.

On security, brew shouldn’t be anything to worry about but obviously there is always the possibility you use it to install something malicious. There’s a centralised team vetting everything that comes in and you only ever install as yourself rather than a superuser so I’d say the risks are very low. Entirely anecdotal, but in my work we’ve been using it across a team of around 25 for about five years now and never had any concerns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stowa Flieger Klassik 40 Ikarus | NTH Amphion Vintage | Seikos old and new | A heap of Vostok Amphibians | A handful of Raketas | A pile of Timexes

Page 36 of 41 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 LastLast

Thread Information