Open source timing software. - Page 37
Like Tree162Likes

Thread: Open source timing software.

Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 LastLast
    24h

Re: Open source timing software.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    The Korg and other cheap mics are what's called "unbalanced" (two wire) while professional recording technicians use balanced (three wire) cables and connectors. Balanced setups are much lower in noise. The mics that come with time graphing machines are also balanced, but more expensive and more difficult to connect to your computer. In short, the answer is no you can't rewire a cheap unbalanced mix to balanced, but simple tone controls like on my little Behringer mixer/mic preamp can reduce the noise enough to make the program work. Probably the best solution is to simply spend a little more and buy a balanced mic intended for the purpose for $69. You will still need to buy a preamp to interface this balanced mic with your computer. Now we're up around $100 for the mic and the preamp/mixer, which is close to the cost of a complete machine, but I prefer the software to the box.
    What I have is actually a modified pre-amp thanks to the help of Guido from Modifying PYLE PP444 Preamp - Reparación de Relojes
    I cut two ceramic capacitors out of the curcuit and replaced one electrolytic capacitor with a 105 ceramic. I also removed the rubber dampener from the clip on mic.
    All of these changes increased the overall sound quality and seemed to better isolate the actual sound of the watch.

What I currenty have is definitely usable with all of the available timing software, but simply listening to the audio or trying to add it into a video is an annoyance due to the humming noise.
    Perhaps my next project will be to build a proper stand for the watch/mic combo so I can properly time various positions of the watch.

If you're interested, here's are some videos demonstrating all the changes I made to the microphone/pre-amp.
    The last half of video 5 is what I'm currently using (after the capacitor replacement) and it sounds decent. Still a lot of unfavorable noise though.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...bbU6aBayAiXYdW

Name:  IMG-2275.JPG
Views: 520
Size:  800.8 KBName:  IMG-2276.JPG
Views: 511
Size:  949.1 KB
    Last edited by 24h; April 18th, 2018 at 20:57.

My YouTube Channel for watch modding and I​nstagram for (mostly) Russian watches

That's a phono preamp not a mic preamp. Phono preamps use the RIAA curve to reduce record noise. I know you've modified it, but a proper mic preamp would help a lot, especially in the hum department, as that device is boosting the signal in hum area (60 to 120HZ), and cutting where a watch makes most of its sound, up in the treble region. My setup is a little noisy, but perfectly usable for videos, especially with the EQ (tone controls) applied.

EDIT: OMG I listened to your recordings, that is WAY too much hum!!!! You need to swap that thing out for a proper mic preamp and use it to play records. Get a microphone preamp
    that takes an unbalanced input like the Behringer XENYX 502 I'm using. Here's my rig in action. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEcXal0lIYo
    Last edited by audiomagnate; April 19th, 2018 at 18:29.
    24h likes this.

24h

That's a phono preamp not a mic preamp. Phono preamps use the RIAA curve to reduce record noise. I know you've modified it, but a proper mic preamp would help a lot, especially in the hum department, as that device is boosting the signal in hum area (60 to 120HZ), and cutting where a watch makes most of its sound, up in the treble region. My setup is a little noisy, but perfectly usable for videos, especially with the EQ (tone controls) applied.

EDIT: OMG I listened to your recordings, that is WAY too much hum!!!! You need to swap that thing out for a proper mic preamp and use it to play records. Get a microphone preamp
    that takes an unbalanced input like the Behringer XENYX 502 I'm using.
    The last 8 seconds of Test 5 is my best sample with the least amount of hum.
    Now that I think about it, I believe that he actually used a shielded RCA cable soldered to the pickup mic and it produced almost zero hum.
    I don't have enough knowledge of these cable designs to do it properly.

On a side note - is there a way, through hardware, to force single channel audio into both the left and right channel? When I record the watch ticking, it only plays on the right side. I know you can put it on both channels through software but what about a hardware solution?

My YouTube Channel for watch modding and I​nstagram for (mostly) Russian watches

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 24h View Post
    The last 8 seconds of Test 5 is my best sample with the least amount of hum.
    Now that I think about it, I believe that he actually used a shielded RCA cable soldered to the pickup mic and it produced almost zero hum.
    I don't have enough knowledge of these cable designs to do it properly.

On a side note - is there a way, through hardware, to force single channel audio into both the left and right channel? When I record the watch ticking, it only plays on the right side. I know you can put it on both channels through software but what about a hardware solution?

That's better, but still a lot of hum.

https://www.amazon.com/Mizar-3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Adapter/dp/B01DZV37VY/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1524155837&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=1%2F8+female+to+rca+male+y+adaptor& psc=1

24h

Wouldn't the female end need to be 6.5mm to accommodate the mic?
    The only 3.5mm in my setup is the 3.5mm male that goes into the computer

You're right, if that's what's on the end of your mic.

24h

You're right, if that's what's on the end of your mic.
    Odd...I can't find a 6.5mm female to 2 male RCA.

I guess I'll need to add ANOTHER between the mic and pre-amp
    https://www.amazon.com/InstallerPart...dp/B008NCD5WC/

24h

I'm getting output on both channels from the adapter I just purchased. Now to do something about the buzzing

I'm getting output on both channels from the adapter I just purchased. Now to do something about the buzzing
    https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-502...ords=xenyx+502
    24h likes this.

24h
    I'm getting output on both channels from the adapter I just purchased. Now to do something about the buzzing [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.watchuseek.com/images/smilies/banging.gif[/IMG]
    https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-502...ords=xenyx+502
    Managed to eliminate some of the buzzing in my setup with a high pass filter. It’s good enough to use with the timing software and OK to listen to but it’s still not perfect. I think before I buy another pre-amp I will make a few of my own piezo pickups as I just purchased 20 extras.

Edit: I actually tested with a different higher quality pre-amp and I’m still having a similar sound. I believe the mic is just not properly shielded and/or piezo is picking up other signals from screens/microwave/lights.

Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 LastLast

Thread Information