Pallet stones - how fixed?

Thread: Pallet stones - how fixed?

phd

Pallet stones - how fixed?

Just a question for the experts. How are pallet stones fixed in the pallet? I know they used to be held in with shellac, but is this still the case in recent movements?

In particular, I cleaned a modern (1970s-80s) Raketa movement using cyclohexane as the solvent (it's all I had, and basically a good all-purpose organic solvent), and the pallet lost one of its stones. I wondered if the cyclohexane had dissolved whatever glue was holding the stones in.

Any recommendations on cleaning pallets? Or on refixing stones? thanks!

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Re: Pallet stones - how fixed?

They are still held on by shellac, you can buy it from places like Jules Borel or Otto Frei.

phd

Thanks, Lysander. Do you think it's likely that cyclohexane would have dissolved it? (Cyclohexane is basically the same as petrol or lighter fluid.) Oh, and Happy New Year!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

I don't know, I have used lighter fluid to clean parts and never had a problems.

phd

OK - thanks. It's possible the stone was loose already, because the watch wasn't working. I might test cyclohexane on some spare pallets and see if it loosens the stones.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by phd View Post
    OK - thanks. It's possible the stone was loose already, because the watch wasn't working. I might test cyclohexane on some spare pallets and see if it loosens the stones.
    From searching the net, it looks like the main solvent for shellac is denatured alcohol. Very few other preparations are likely to work.
    If the shellac has been mixed with laquer then a combination of alcohol and laquer thinner would be needed.

I don't think that any of the normal petroleum based solvents would damage the shellac at all. I've used mineral spirits(paint thinner) and lighter fluid with no adverse results. I'm actually more concerned about accidentally putting plastic parts into solvents as some of them will actually dissolve.

phd

Thanks for that, Alpha - that would make sense. In that case, it must just have been coincidence that the stone came loose during the cleaning.

If anyone has any experience of re-setting pallet stones, I'd love to hear it.
    Best, and Happy New Year to all,
    Paul

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by phd View Post
    Thanks for that, Alpha - that would make sense. In that case, it must just have been coincidence that the stone came loose during the cleaning.

If anyone has any experience of re-setting pallet stones, I'd love to hear it.
    Best, and Happy New Year to all,
    Paul
    Paul,

This article has an excellent section on the palette stones and the tools used for resetting them...http://people.timezone.com/msandler/...Seiko7005.html

This is a task, I won't be attempting any time soon

phd

Hmm. Doesn't look *too* tricky, just requiring a little persistence...

Thread Information