Phoibos quartz to auto conversion?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NviGate_Systems

Thread: Phoibos quartz to auto conversion?

Phoibos quartz to auto conversion?

The PY002 is powered by a Swiss Rhonda quartz movement, the PY007 is powered by a Miyota 9015. Exact same watch, one quartz one auto. I can find the quartz for about $80 while the auto is around $270-300.
    I'm wondering the feasibility of a conversion. I have the know how and can source the movement & hands easily enough, I'm wondering about the tolerances, movement spacer, proper sized crown and stem port etc. Thoughts?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

You will run into issues with stem height and date window, as often quartz and mechanical have different positions.

Sometimes going from mechanical to quartz you can use dial spacers and high height canon pinion, but I don't think that will work in your case.

Your case has already been drilled for the height of a quartz stem. Maybe you could enlarge the hole for them stem if it won't be overly noticed with the crown.
    daniel954 likes this.

Re: Phoibos quartz to auto conversion?

Quote Originally Posted by daniel954 View Post
    The PY002 is powered by a Swiss Rhonda quartz movement, the PY007 is powered by a Miyota 9015. Exact same watch, one quartz one auto.
    According to the Phoibos specs they are NOT the same watch. The PY002C has a 42mm case, the PY007 has a 40mm case.

I have no idea how that would affect a conversion, but itís not like for like and it would seem to me that everything would be lining up differently.

So if you are doing this as an exercise in watchmaking itís a fairly inexpensive exercise. If itís an exercise in getting a cheap auto using a cheaper quartz as the base, Iíd just pay the extra, get a functioning auto with a 2 year warranty. List is $299, you could probably do better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information