Recommend a decent replacement spirit level bubble for poising tool
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Joe Horner
  • 3 Post By maillchort
  • 1 Post By bounder

Thread: Recommend a decent replacement spirit level bubble for poising tool

Recommend a decent replacement spirit level bubble for poising tool

Does anyone know a source of decently made spirit bubbles? It's for a recently sourced a HR poising tool, with nicely preserved agate jaws. I bought a wee bubble from eBay, but the bottom of it is not flat which is a bit useless. Ideally I'm hoping for something flat I can rest on the jaws.

The original bubble is a curious fish. It's lost all its juice (hopefully not mercury!) possibly by evaporation from a screw plug at the bottom of it.
    I'm on instagram at christopherswatchmaking

Re: Recommend a decent replacement spirit level bubble for poising tool

The liquid in a spirit level is normally coloured alcohol. If the screw plug gives access to the inside of the capsule, refill it with meths for a nice purple colour and add a drop of Loctite to the threads to seal. Obviously, remember to leave room for a bubble!

Failing that, you can level up the cheap ones. Use fine abrasive paper to flat the base until it shows level on a known level surface.

And, no, I haven't found source for GOOD bullseye levels!

eta: Good tip from maillchort below re checking on a surface that may not be level!
    bounder and BenchGuy like this.

You can adjust the one you bought. Flatten it on a stone (I'd use diamond plates but I have them handy), you can check if it's true by checking it in the same spot on a flat reference; mark it, and turn 90 degrees at a time making full circle. If it's true the bubble stays in the same spot (even if your reference isn't level), if not, take off more on the side necessary. Probably sounds more complicated than it is, it's pretty easy to do.
    Joe Horner, bounder and BenchGuy like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the advice guys, it is much appreciated. The original bubble refilled okay! The way the replacement is put together makes it a challenge to file, the outer rim is a sort of proud lip, and the rest of the innards are pressed into it. I might try to source one that is all on one plane and try to file that flat, as the original bubble is not the kind that you can pop on the jaws.
    Joe Horner likes this.

These mini rectangle ones aren't too bad, I'll check them against an engineer's square. Fit nicely in the box too! Strange that they all give very different reading from the tool's bubble.

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bounder View Post
    These mini rectangle ones aren't too bad, I'll check them against an engineer's square. Fit nicely in the box too! Strange that they all give very different reading from the tool's bubble.
    The only place you need to check is the jaws, and the round level is better for this because it checks all directions simultaneously. So if you are using the rectangular levels, you need to check in all directions with it.

BTW on a related subject, when are you doing static poising? For the most part I don't do this much at all, because statically poising the balance (say after a staff change) may throw the whole system out from the factory poising (which is typically done dynamically). Unless I see that the balance is way out of whack and needed a lot of truing (usually not the case if you are removing the staffs carefully and not punching them out), I usually skip static poising and go right to dynamic poising. I haven't needed to use my poising tool in a long time...

Cheers, Al

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    The only place you need to check is the jaws, and the round level is better for this because it checks all directions simultaneously. So if you are using the rectangular levels, you need to check in all directions with it.

BTW on a related subject, when are you doing static poising? For the most part I don't do this much at all, because statically poising the balance (say after a staff change) may throw the whole system out from the factory poising (which is typically done dynamically). Unless I see that the balance is way out of whack and needed a lot of truing (usually not the case if you are removing the staffs carefully and not punching them out), I usually skip static poising and go right to dynamic poising. I haven't needed to use my poising tool in a long time...

Cheers, Al
    Short answer - to learn poising! There's a patient clock maker I can visit for advice, but I try to be as informed as I can before taking up his time. I would like to learn dynamic poising, but one step at a time.

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

Thread Information