Removing crown from automatic Onsa watch, Felsa 4007 movement
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Vintage1982
  • 1 Post By Border-Reiver

Thread: Removing crown from automatic Onsa watch, Felsa 4007 movement

Removing crown from automatic Onsa watch, Felsa 4007 movement

I urgently need to clean this case from this newly acquired watch, Onsa Automatic with Felsa 4007 movement. Also the glass is loose and needs to be fixed. Before I fiddle around, I rather ask what to do before, that is what screw to loosen or remove. I had a bad experience on a pocket watch, where I turned to much and the counterpart fell off and I hade to remove the dial to fix that. But here, I think I could even take the screw out completley (?). I also heared, that this, in some cases, should be done in a certain position of the crown (in or out). Your advice would be appreciated.

My guess would be to go to the screw the arrow is pointing at.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Removing crown from automatic Onsa watch, Felsa 4007 movement

You're correct, go for the one the arrow points at. If you loosen it too much the set lever might indeed fall off or something else might go wrong within the keyless works. Just slowly turn it 45 degrees at a time and keep trying gently to remove the crown. No chance to overturn it that way.
    This can be done with the crown pushed in with Felsa movements. There are a few exceptions, like some ETA and ETA/UNITAS calibers that require the crown to be pulled out but this is not the case here.
    Border-Reiver likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage1982 View Post
    You're correct, go for the one the arrow points at. If you loosen it too much the set lever might indeed fall off or something else might go wrong within the keyless works. Just slowly turn it 45 degrees at a time and keep trying gently to remove the crown. No chance to overturn it that way.
    This can be done with the crown pushed in with Felsa movements. There are a few exceptions, like some ETA and ETA/UNITAS calibers that require the crown to be pulled out but this is not the case here.
    Thanks, will do that and show the results.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It worked nicely, but has shown one thing. Neither my set of screwdrivers for € 9,99, € 19,99 or € 39,99 was really suitable for that job on that small and delicate screw. If I would not have bought this crap, I would have saved € 69,97 towards the purchase of something better, not counting shipping cost. I will keep them for my sunglasses and look for something better.

The case is already cleaned and the glass fixed, just waiting for the glue to harden.

Now there is another question: The rotor does not move freely around 360 degrees (20 degrees perhaps). Is that because the watch is more or less fully wound up, or have I caused a problem, when I pushed the rotor out of the way to get a picture of the screw I wanted to show, which was hidden by the rotor?

I know, the case holder is also not the end of the line and I will get a better one. These cheap ones are normally just used to display the pocket-watch movements in my collection.

Last edited by Border-Reiver; July 17th, 2015 at 17:39.

I have come across a few automatics that have worked loose a bridge screw that then has got stuck under the rotor and there are a lot of scratches on the movement. You set the date by repeatedly turning the crown back and forth between 21-24H.

Quote Originally Posted by Shum View Post
    I have come across a few automatics that have worked loose a bridge screw that then has got stuck under the rotor and there are a lot of scratches on the movement. You set the date by repeatedly turning the crown back and forth between 21-24H.
    Thanks, someone should have also given this information to the original owner and the crown would be in better shape. The secret with the non-rotating rotor has also been solved (see next post). I broke off a piece of the blade from one of my cheap screwdrivers and I thought at first it got inside the movement, jamming it.

I found out, that the rotor doesn't freely move when the crown with stem is out. It might even do this, when the crown is in set position. Anyway, when I re-inserted the crown and everything was fine again.

Nice and clean again. I bought myself a couple of flex-bands (one size fits all) with telescopic ends (16mm to 22mm). I can use it with different watches whilst I wait for a new wristband or on watches in the collection which I am wearing only very occasionally, like this automatic here, only to see if it winds up correctly. This way, I can leave the original bands in new condition.

Shum likes this.

Thread Information