Repairing an NH38A Ruimas

Thread: Repairing an NH38A Ruimas

Question Repairing an NH38A Ruimas

Hello,

I'm trying to repair an NH38A Ruimas watch. The watch fell on the floor, the hour hand was floating freely and was sometimes stopped by a circle they glued on the dial around the opened eye ...
    The thickness of this circle does not help to set back the hands, also there is an edge around the dial that makes things uncomfortable.
    The hour hand is sometimes too low and falling in the open eye ... and now it is difficult to set time as the hour hand and the minute hand are _moving together_.
    I set the time approximatly to see how the hands and watch will behave , the hands seem to be able to move ok, _but_ the time is not kept ok.
    This watch looks very well indeed, i love it and therefore i would like to try to fix all this.
    Do you think the movement is going wrong or is it only the hands that are improperly set ?

I did try already by i think i may not have set the hands in the right way. Is there a mandatory way to put back the hands ?
    Here's what i did :
    - Adding a bit of paper to protect the dial, then putting back the hour hand on 12 and then checking if it moves ok with the crown, it did move ok :)
    - then putting the hour hand on 6 and putting back the minute hand on 12 . And then checking if it moves ok with the crown, both did move ok :)
    - Then adding the second hand on top of these but when doing this the hour hand was on 6, but the minute hand was near 1. Is this a mistake ?
    I used a small paper to protect the dial but maybe it was too thick (it is a yellow sheet of paper i used, a type which is a bit thicker than an A4 sheet of paper i'm thus wondering if it had stopped the hour hand too high, or something like that ?)

Can you help me with this ?

Thank you ;)

A picture of the watch :) https://fr.aliexpress.com/store/prod...3acc1d1cZ3wUPP
    Time is money.

Re: Repairing an NH38A Ruimas

post this in the repair forum
    "I believe in cheap watches but not cheap beer."

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

moved
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sounds like you bent the hour hand putting it back on. Bend it back. But your description is confusing. You say that you installed the hour hand and it was able to turn all the way around using the crown to advance it. You also say that you see it hanging up on the open heart feature. Which is it?

I'd take it down to the hour hand and make sure that's working all the way around with clearance. Then the minute hand. Then the second hand.

Regarding phasing, the only thing important is that the minute hand be at 12 when the hour hand is at an index (any of them and as close as you feel comfortable with). I like to line the hour hand with 12 and set the minute hand to match the hour hand.

The second hand can be placed anywhere, you will phase that (or not) when you set the time.
    Accuracy is only skin deep but ugliness goes to the soul.
    I only use fake Bergeon tools for working on fake Rolexes.
    Friends don't let friends own Seiko.

Hello ;=)

I tried to describe things as they arrived, chronologically : "The hour hand is sometimes too low and falling in the open eye ... // and now it is difficult to set time as the hour hand and the minute hand are _moving together_. "
    Meaning that when the watch fell on the floor the hour hand was floating freely, and also falling in the open eye for it was too low.
    After i opened it and took them out to reset them back the result is that time is difficult to set for hour hand and minute hand are moving together.
    Also now time is not kept correctly.

Regarding phasing what you described seems to be as i did : i set the hour hand on 6 and moved it ok, and then put the minute hand on 12 and then hour and minute hand moved ok.
    So, i don't understand why i can't set time correctly (hour hands and minute hands are moving together). Plus the fact that time is not kept ok makes me wonder if the movement is still ok (?)

Thanks ;)

Are you saying that the hour hand at six and the minute hand at 12 both move at the same speed when you set them, that is do they stay opposite each other at all times?

I was looking at the technical documentation for the movement in question. They don't have any nice exploded views I was looking for, but they have some nice cross-section engineering drawings including hand installation which made me think of the answer to one of your questions in the OP.

The "face" of each hand should be flush with the barrel that it fits around. If you use a proper hand tool press it has a face and a hole to clear the remaining posts that stick up beyond the hand in question. The idea is that you find one that clears the remaining posts while bottoming out on the post for the hand you are fitting. You press the hand on until the tool bottoms out against the post so that face of the hand is flush with the face of the post. That sets the hand at the proper height. You use a different tool for each hand.

The same thing could be accomplished with a popsicle stick and some care (well, maybe a couple popsicle sticks, one on each side).

Hello,

WHen i trying to set time it is not as usual, the minute and hour hands are moving together, not allowing to set the minutes as i wish. Like if they are not at the right position, something maybe is impeding the right behavior they should have.

Which tool would you recommend to put the hands back ?
    Time is money.

Quote Originally Posted by manchette View Post
    Hello,

WHen i trying to set time it is not as usual, the minute and hour hands are moving together, not allowing to set the minutes as i wish. Like if they are not at the right position, something maybe is impeding the right behavior they should have.

Which tool would you recommend to put the hands back ?
    These are nice:

Name:  Bergeon 7404.GIF
Views: 19
Size:  36.1 KB

I get the idea that the hour and minute hands are moving at the same rate, but what I'm trying to determine is whether you have hands hanging on each other and one hand slipping on the canon pinion or hour wheel, or whether the hour wheel has shifted so it's no longer engaged with the minute wheel (or the teeth are gone or god knows). One pretty good diagnostic (besides using a 4x loupe and a mark 1 eyeball) is "are the hands close to each other or are they away from each other?" If they are banging into each other, they probably won't do it when the hour is at 12 and the minute at 6 (although it's not out of the question). If they move normally until they are almost aligned, then move screwy, you most likely have hands that interfere and one is slipping.

If not, pull the hands and face, and take a look at the gear train below the face. I have no familiarity with your movement so I can't tell you if something else needs to be removed to see the gears, but the gears should engage and turn each other. Put the minute hand on by itself and see if it turns at a different rate than the hour wheel.

Hello,

Thanks for trying to understand and help :)

When i try to set the hour here's what is going on : for example when the hour hand is on 6 then the minute hand is on 54. Then the gap between the hands stays the same.
    So is this enough to guess what happened to the hands ? (i have not got any confortable tool yet, no loupe for example, e.g : i tried put back the hands with a tiny piece of paper to protect the dial and a part of a Biro ;))
    Thanks again ;)
    Time is money.

Thread Information