Seiko 7005 will not restart
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Seiko 7005 will not restart

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Seiko 7005 will not restart

Hello all!

I have a Seiko 7005 movement that I have taken apart, cleaned, oiled and reassembled. It would stop running when I placed the hands on it so decided to service it.

The hairspring seems to move freely but it will not start running. I've seen no issues with any broken parts and when the hairspring it bumped or hit with a little air, it will move the pallet fork and the escapement wheel will move a few ticks, then it all stops again.

I've wound it quite a bit (it's an automatic) but nothing seems to get it going.

Any ideas welcome. Thanks in advance!

JAA

Re: Seiko 7005 will not restart

This is not to say what I'm suggesting is the problem with your specific watch. Last time I saw this problem, it was solved when I put a different balance assembly into the watch; so the root cause was "damaged hairspring." You can try this if you have another movement; I think all 700x and even 7S26 balances are interchangeable.

But just about any and every possible problem could cause the symptoms you described; even a slightly damaged hairspring or misadjustment (out of beat) could cause such a problem. There's no easy way except to check each individual part.

More info would be helpful. You said you have "...taken apart, cleaned, oiled and reassembled..." then you later said you "...decided to service it..." How were these two processes different?

What was the original condition before you did any work to it? What is the current condition -> not running at all (worse) or stops running only after you install the hands (just like before)?
    Last edited by JAA; 3 Days Ago at 20:51.

Hi JAA,

I should have been more clear. Apologies.

The previous condition is that it would randomly stop running. I began to disassemble and it started ticking away. I started putting it back together and when I put the hands on it stopped again.

That's when I decided to take it all the way down and clean everything.

When I hit it with a small puff of air, the hairspring will go back and forth for a few seconds then stops. Almost as if the mainspring has no tension.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

JAA

Another way to look at it is there may be too much friction for the mainspring to properly power the watch. Try cleaning it again. Also, maybe one of those videos can give you some ideas:

https://youtu.be/bqlPu5Ksr0c
    https://youtu.be/3Ja73JFHzr0
    https://youtu.be/LdJmabVBFUY
    Last edited by JAA; 2 Days Ago at 21:41.
    azkid likes this.

This is my first time. Thanks for your patience and apologies if I ask dumb questions. It's bound to happen. lol

While cleaning everything, I did open the barrel but did not take the spring out of the barrel. This may be the next step.

Can too much lubrication stop it?

I was able to turn the entire train like you mentioned and when I put the pallet fork in and wound it slightly, it would tick back and forth like it's supposed to.

Funny you mention the pivot. I found another post and that was the issue with this guys watch. I've checked each one carefully with a 10x magnifier and can't see anything that doesn't "look right" but to be fair, I may not notice it. I didn't see anything with an edge that looked broken.

Thanks for the input! I think I will try removing the mainspring and cleaning and reinstalling. I'm new to this but really enjoying it and the community. Thanks again!

JAA

How are you cleaning it? Ultrasonic cleaner or manually with small brush and peg wood?

A few things...

When first starting out, don't expect a high success rate. While it seem straight forward when watching other people do it online, everything must go exactly right. You think you did everything right, but the watch still won't run....that's going to happen. Have patience and don't give up.

Seikos are relatively robust, so 7005 is not a bad movement to work on. Since the watch was sort of running before and it winds, the problem is not likely the mainspring.

Back to the symptom. The watch winds and runs. But still too much friction to move the hands. Try this:

- Overhaul the watch again. Pay attention to lubricate as little as possible; to the point where you suspect no lubricant actually got in there. That's how little you should use.

- Assemble just the time keeping side. Leave out the calendar parts and the automatic mechanism. Wind it with a screwdriver 3-5 turns. Observe the watch ticking. Pick up the movement and observe if it stops or slow down in different orientations

- Put it down and let it run for a whole day. Rewind if necessary.

- If everything still good, continue to put the watch back together.

Bad pivot is hard to detect visually, even with 10x loupe. Unless you're 100% confident you can put the mainspring back, don't mess with it; leave that for next time or another day.

Don't clean the balance by itself. Mount it back onto the main plate and clean both as a single unit.

Also don't move the arms on the balance. Push the wrong one would shove the balance out of beat can make it stop; not very easy to recover without a timing machine.

Hopefully, others with more experience can give more suggestions.
    Last edited by JAA; 2 Days Ago at 00:40.

I like the idea of keeping the balance on the main plate. It took me quite a while to get it back in place perfectly. Keeping it on, I can confirm easier.

I've done a couple of pocket watches and they turned out great (thanks to Rick) so thought I'd try my hand at this 7005.

As for what I cleaned it with (I may take a beating for this), I used lighter fluid. I have a small soft paint brush and clean each part individually, then put on a coffee filter and use the bulb to dry off. I saw some affordable ultrasonic cleaners and will get one of those soon.

I'm going to try again following your recommendations. Thank you again! I will update tomorrow.

JAA

I didn't mean to say "keep" the balance on. The balance should be one of the first items to remove. I just meant that it's safer if it goes into the cleaning fluid while attached to the main plate.

There's nothing wrong with the lighter fluid and brush method. Many people do it that way.
    Last edited by JAA; 2 Days Ago at 01:04.

Make sure the hairspring coils are not sticking together, especially at the ends of its travel (a 10x loupe helps) and check for lint on the wheels and pallet fork.

Looks like the hairspring is free but I will check closely. I haven't been able to disassemble and clean/oil again but I will.

I checked the mainspring and can feel it is holding tension so as I take apart I will check the train to make sure it moves freely. After that, I suppose the hairspring would have to be the culprit.

Thank you all for the input and being easy on a newbie!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information