Service and Repair meaning
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Service and Repair meaning

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Service and Repair meaning

For those in watching making business, does your customers really understand these 2 words ,real term?

I have one coming to me and claim service and repair are the same meaning...
    " A great time piece on your wrist show you are serious of time "

Re: Service and Repair meaning

Quote Originally Posted by Triton9 View Post
    For those in watching making business, does your customers really understand these 2 words ,real term?

I have one coming to me and claim service and repair are the same meaning...
    What's the difference in your mind? I don't really see the issue in interchanging the terms.

Service = cleaning, oiling, tuning
    Repair = fixing/replacing broken/worn-down parts

Completely 2 difference things. If you use the watch carefully and do scheduled services you may not need repairs. Same as with cars 🙂 every mechanic will tell you ‘if you do not change oil regularly you will be facing an expensive repair in the future’.
    Triton9 and lvt like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

So watchmakers who replace the mainspring as a matter of course for every watch, they do repair, not service? What if they adjust the escapement or hairspring as part of the job, in addition to cleaning? Is that repair? If the watch doesn't need a little tweak on the hs or escapement, then it's a service, but not a repair? Reversing wheels get changed as part of the service- now a repair? The list of items some like Rolex might want changed on service?

Or is it just if you repivot a wheel or turn up a stem or staff? That's repair? If the stem is available and you change it, still a service?

If your mechanic changed the oil that's a service, but pads and rotor is repair.... or changing parts...? Part of car servicing included timing belts at maybe 100K, that's part of the "100K service", but it's repair. You fellas are cracking me up!
    Archer and BenchGuy like this.

Perhaps analogizing to cars is not so helpful? I mean, your car these days will run 100,000 miles with oil changes, tire changes, and the odd bits replaced. It's not like the whole thing needs to be taken apart, cleaned, inspected, reassembled, lubed, and regulated every 50,000 miles.

Pretty much any watchmaker will replace any broken parts during a service, if they can get hold of the parts. Or make them, if that's in their skill set and you're willing to pay. And pretty much no watchmaker will simply replace a broken part without doing a complete service, unless maybe they just did the whole watch a few months ago.

So, I think you have a distinction without a difference.
    maillchort and BenchGuy like this.
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

As a general rule in the aircraft industry the basic difference was that servicing was scheduled work, including scheduled replacements (or other reasonably routine stuff that came to light during that scheduled work - eg: "pre-flight inspection noted main rotor geabox oil low, oil topped up" or "No 3 blade tracking low, adjusted" or "tail gearbox replaced on hours") and repair was the rectification of specific faults that came up outside that service schedule (eg: "MRG just exploded from lack of oil" or "Pilot stuffed it into the pad, tailboom looks a bit bent")

On that basis, correct servicing and operation will usually negate the need for repair, although some unforeseen issues will inevitably happen.

There is probably more of a distinction for a fairly new watch than for a vintage piece. On a vintage watch — between the inevitable wearing out of parts, and the extra wear caused by deferred maintenance (AKA neglect) — I’d be a bit surprised if something wasn’t worn out to the point of needing replacement.

And, as others point out, there are some parts (Rolex crown tubes come to mind) that many watchmakers replace as a matter of course. So maybe “repair” is best used to describe replacement of something broken or not working, and everything else is better considered to be “servicing.”

If one needs to make the distinction I suppose they can do as they wish. Probably would also be pedantic about watchmaker or watch repairer (or watch servicer?). We could just settle on "fix", I remember as a wee lass taking my grandmother's non-functional electric can opener apart, removing a pepper corn from the gears, and her telling everyone "he fixed it!".

But 'fix' doesn't work well for puns when thinking up business names. Don't get me started on watch pun related business names.

Quote Originally Posted by byscott View Post
    There is probably more of a distinction for a fairly new watch than for a vintage piece. On a vintage watch — between the inevitable wearing out of parts, and the extra wear caused by deferred maintenance (AKA neglect) — I’d be a bit surprised if something wasn’t worn out to the point of needing replacement.

And, as others point out, there are some parts (Rolex crown tubes come to mind) that many watchmakers replace as a matter of course. So maybe “repair” is best used to describe replacement of something broken or not working, and everything else is better considered to be “servicing.”
    So what do you tell your customer, or worse, your peers? "I had a watch in for service, but dangit, I had to call the customer to tell them it was now a repair, the extended 4th wheel pivot was bent and I a) straightened it b) found the sweet spot with the hand where it functions flawlessly and is invisible c) replaced it d) repivoted it".

If you dont get the term correct present to them. I guess plenty of misunderstanding will occur.

Some who just want a basic stem replacement might get end up being charge with a $300 full watch service.
    " A great time piece on your wrist show you are serious of time "

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast