Stem lock mechanism

Thread: Stem lock mechanism

Stem lock mechanism

I'm just wondering how robust or sturdy the stem locking mechanism for watches are these days. I'm paranoid that out of the many times I've plucked out the crown to set the time in my Hamilton after having it set side for a while, might I be damaging the lock mechanism overtime? Or should I have no reason to worry as these mechanisms are supposed to be sturdy.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbah View Post
    I'm just wondering how robust or sturdy the stem locking mechanism for watches are these days. I'm paranoid that out of the many times I've plucked out the crown to set the time in my Hamilton after having it set side for a while, might I be damaging the lock mechanism overtime? Or should I have no reason to worry as these mechanisms are supposed to be sturdy.
    I would say if you do not yank it with all your strength, you are safe to keep doing it. Pull it out and push in gently...

Re: Stem lock mechanism

bubbah...Hello.

These mechanisms--assuming that you do not use them, say, several times a day ( and roughly, at that !)-- will last a very long time...several decades, it seems.

Just use the setting position when you need to, be respectful of the mechanism, and the watch will be around to see the Year 2100!

Michael.