Unserviced automatic watches running fast -- something unique about automatics?

Thread: Unserviced automatic watches running fast -- something unique about automatics?

JAA

Unserviced automatic watches running fast -- something unique about automatics?

My very recent intro to watchmaking has been a reviving a load of inherited watches rediscovered while cleaning out some old stuff in the house.

This is a combination of ladies and men's. 3 of them automatics. Without exception, the automatics, when initially brought back to life, would run fast, on the order of up to 5-6 seconds per minute. The wind-up watches, on the other hand, without exception, would start running on time with only minimal work.

Coincidence? Or is there something about automatics that I'm not understanding?

Re: Unserviced automatic watches running fast -- something unique about automatics?

Are you manually winding the automatics to get a full wind on them, or just shaking them to wind them up a bit?

Without a full wind, you may get less than full power to the balance and low amplitude which will result in fast running.

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Re: Unserviced automatic watches running fast -- something unique about automatics?

Dry gummy oil will give low balance amplitude, which leads to running fast.....
    familiaritas parit contemptum; raritate admiratione wins.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

JAA

I'm only using shaking method to wind. I've not tried to wind these watch any other way...

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Quote Originally Posted by JAA View Post
    I'm only using shaking method to wind. I've not tried to wind these watch any other way...
    Without winding to full power reserve, you are looking a the tail end of the power curve. Not the best place to start timing a watch.

These movements need a good cleaning.
    familiaritas parit contemptum; raritate admiratione wins.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

Quote Originally Posted by JAA View Post
    My very recent intro to watchmaking has been a reviving a load of inherited watches rediscovered while cleaning out some old stuff in the house.

This is a combination of ladies and men's. 3 of them automatics. Without exception, the automatics, when initially brought back to life, would run fast, on the order of up to 5-6 seconds per minute. The wind-up watches, on the other hand, without exception, would start running on time with only minimal work.

Coincidence? Or is there something about automatics that I'm not understanding?
    A mainspring in an automatic is designed to slip when fully wound. If it doesn't slip, and the watch is wound up until it stops, it's possible that there would be so much power at the pallet, that the balance would swing 360 degrees and hit the pallet fork on the outside and also cause the watch to run fast.
    Last edited by clock40man; December 25th, 2011 at 21:53.

Thread Information