waltham 7 jewel 6/0

Thread: waltham 7 jewel 6/0

waltham 7 jewel 6/0

Firstly I would like to say HI to everyone on the boards.I am fairly new to watch collecting, I have always loved watches and always try and buy a new one when ever I am able to.I have just started collecting vintage and military watches.I recently bought a Waltham 1939 9ct gold wristwatch, 7 jewel movement size 6/0 serial no'26191529The movement is not running and I thought it would be easy enough to buy a new/working movement but am struggling to find one, can anyone give me any ideas of where I could get a working movement for this watch or maybe recommed a good repairer, I would like to get this watch up and running so as I am able to use it.

Re: waltham 7 jewel 6/0

It would be just shy of a miracle to find a new replacement movement for this watch. You will need to have this watch serviced or restored. 7 jewel movements usually incur a large amount of wear and require attention to detail in servicing. These movements are / were not very accurate due to the low jewel count, replacing worn bushings with jewels is a possibility which is an upgrade and acceptable. But you must consider what you want from the watch IE is the watch a worthy of Restoration for historical purposes or just a repair for personal enjoyment.

I would look in th UK to the BHI or in the USA the AWCI for reputable watchmakers.

Let us know how you make out

Thank you very much for the information. I really just want the watch for personal enjoyment.
    Sorry if I sound very nieve, but I am quite new to watches as I have said. Would it be possible to put a 17 jewel movement in this watch, I take it that if the movement is the same size and fits in the watch case then this is fine?? is this correct?? I know there are some sellers on ebay who sell waltham movements, could I easily buy one and put it in the watch (if it fits)??
    I'm going to try and attatch some pictures of the watch if I can....Many thanks again...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

A few pic's of the Waltham.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ddoyle View Post
    Would it be possible to put a 17 jewel movement in this watch, I take it that if the movement is the same size and fits in the watch case then this is fine??
    The variables are watch diameter, watch thickness, attachment points to case, dial attachment points, and hand hole diameters.

You might end up buying a number of movements to find one that will swap... but maybe Walthams were pretty uniform? Others may know.

Assuming you can find a movement that will fit inside the case, a watchmaker can usually come up with some sort of swap. But it may take some effort and cost. Many don't have the time to do this (often you can COA - clean oil adjust - a large number of movements in the time it takes to custom fit one movement).

If you are doing this as a learning exercise... you will learn a lot! Go for it!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

It is possible to exchange the movement for a higher grade (jewel count) but the movement you find will most likely require servicing. Sometimes it is better to deal with the devil you know. You should determine the calibre of movement you have then see if there is a higher grade movement that can be exchanged. Next step would be to measure your movement and find a "modern" replacement that could fit. And A last sacrilege is to consider a quartz conversion. Yes all these conversions could get expensive but can be done. Don't concern yourself with being nieve we all were at some point.
    Keep us posted on your project

Thumbs Up Re: waltham 7 jewel 6/0

Thanks you very much for all your advise. I will keep you updated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ddoyle View Post
    Thanks you very much for all your advise. I will keep you updated. Thanks.
    Hi there,
    I went in to a close look at the pictures and the watch looks pretty good to me(enamel dial if I'm not mistaken and a good and clean movement),so, why replacing it? I think that would be a shame. I would go for a serious repair since it might have the balance staff broken or mainspring or both. Here's some links where you can find the proper spares.
    Good luck!!
    http://www.julesborel.com/
    http://members.tripod.com/~watchdoc/

That's a rather cool looking case, IMHO. The Dennison Case Co. made a lot of cases for Waltham, most of of them for the European market. This one is certainly in keeping with that, with its case and Roman Numeral dial. Unless my eyes deceive me, the movement looks pretty shot. I say this because it appears as if this watch was run devoid of lubrication for some time, as the 4th wheel and escape wheel pivots look completely wasted. If I were you, I'd try to find a higher jeweled model on Ebay that the seller will guarantee is in running condition. You could also try Tom Mister at Dashto.com. He sells used stuff on his site. Just make sure that he'll guarantee that the movement is running, otherwise I'd pass on it. You'll find a 6/0 hunter case movement that should fit right into that case. Just make sure that it's the right size and that it's a hunter movement and you should be fine. There might be some work that has to be done to adjust the winding/setting mechanism. Good luck.

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Waltham made a 6/0 17jewel movement. Its the one used in the military OD and OF Ordnance watches. They should be rather common.

Look for 17 jewel Waltham military watches with the model number 10617.

(Model 10609 is the 9 jewel version.)

Thread Information