Watch Maker: Please assist with tightening dual deployant clasp on my favorite watch

Thread: Watch Maker: Please assist with tightening dual deployant clasp on my favorite watch

Watch Maker: Please assist with tightening dual deployant clasp on my favorite watch

Please help....The dual deployant clasp for my watch is discontinued so I can not get a replacement. When I wear the watch throughout the day it unsnaps constantly, which makes me very hesitant to wear my favorite watch.

I read this article and I hope some one could assist me with my specific dual deployant clasp and how to adjust it for a tight connection which will not unsnap throughout the day..... http://www.pmwf.com/Watches/WatchSch...ly%20again.htm

I am attaching some pictures of the clasp so you know which one I have....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Watch Maker: Please assist with tightening dual deployant clasp on my favorite watch

Hello,

I just join in this website, and find your post. I had over 25 years of retail watchmaking experince, so please lisen carefully.
    The link to the website shows how to fix the clasp from your post, has 4 out of 5 methods wrong in term of correcting the shape or tightening the clasp!
    Basically if the clasp become loose, all you need to do is reshape the curvature of the clasp, not where its latch or attachment, because these are the weak point, the latch or the attachment point can not be bent more than three four times, or it will starts to crack.
    The space is limited, so I will only give you instruction on your case:
    Three piece clasp sometime called butterfly clasp, the two outer pieces fold in, the latch locked the center piece by friction. So if you flatten the outer pieces by reduce the cuvature, the latch become longer and can reach the center piece, slowly on the process, if too flat on the outer clasp, latch will not lock. When flatten the piece, professionally should use bending plyer from goldsmith trade, reverse the direction of bending would be flattening. If you do not have such tool, use leather head or rubber head hammer, tap lightly on the clasp against on wood base. so would not damage the metal structure.
    if the outer pieces are too flat already and the problem still, work on the center piece instead, except every direction would be reverse.

I hope this would help, and this method will last your watch much longer than bending the tiny part.

Genway

Re: Watch Maker: Please assist with tightening dual deployant clasp on my favorite watch

I really can not thank you enough. I tried what you suggested and it certainly snaps a lot more securely. I will wear it tomorrow and test it out. I sure hope it stands up to the day without unsnapping.

Thank you again and again :)

Thread Information