Watch runs fast even after turning the regulating screw to slow it down (SW200-1)
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Odessa200
  • 3 Post By Bob Duckworth
  • 2 Post By Joe Horner
  • 1 Post By Joe Horner

Thread: Watch runs fast even after turning the regulating screw to slow it down (SW200-1)

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Member JohnnyKarate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,976

    Watch runs fast even after turning the regulating screw to slow it down (SW200-1)

    So i picked up a watch off ebay. It can't be more than 3 years old since that's when this model was released. I noticed it ran 25 sec/day fast. I decided to turn the little screw to the left to slow it down but it hasn't made a difference. I actually moved it quite a bit.

    Any idea what could be causing this ?

    Thank you.

    Name:  20190701_103232.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  1.79 MB

  2. #2
    Member Odessa200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    501
    I may say an obvious thing, but check if the hair spring coils touch each other, bridge, or there is some dirt/hair/etc stuck there. Be carefully not to bend the spring. Watch runs faster when the spring gets shorter and all the above would lead to the spring being shorter.

    If the coils touch/stuck, and the spring is clean, it maybe magnetized. Then you need to demagnetize the watch. I hope this helps.
    JohnnyKarate likes this.

  3. #3
    Member JohnnyKarate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,976

    Re: Watch runs fast even after turning the regulating screw to slow it down (SW200-1)

    Quote Originally Posted by Odessa200 View Post
    I may say an obvious thing, but check if the hair spring coils touch each other, bridge, or there is some dirt/hair/etc stuck there. Be carefully not to bend the spring. Watch runs faster when the spring gets shorter and all the above would lead to the spring being shorter.

    If the coils touch/stuck, and the spring is clean, it maybe magnetized. Then you need to demagnetize the watch. I hope this helps.
    Twisting the little screw to slow it down or speed it up is pretty straight forward but anything else i will have to take it to a watch maker.

    Always thought a magnetized watch will run extremely fast, not like 25 sec/day like in my case ?

    Lastly, those other things you mentioned can they be done while the movement is still in the case or does the dial have to come off ?

    Thank you.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member Odessa200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    501
    Just look at the coils. This is this very thin pulsating thing next to the screw 🙂. You do mot need to remove any parts. Just find a magnifier and carefully look at the spring.

    If you have an iPhone or a compass you can test if the watch is magnetized. IPhone app: Lepsi. Free.

    Also, 25 secs a day, you are right. Maybe all the watch needs is a service/cleaning/lub. It does not sound like a big issue due to an obvious thing you can just spot. Watchmaker to the rescue!

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    USA: Alabama
    Posts
    600

    Re: Watch runs fast even after turning the regulating screw to slow it down (SW200-1)

    If I recall correctly, the "little screw" is for fine adjustment only. The regulator seem to be just hidden under the edge of the rotor. If you choose to move this, go carefully, many have ruined hairsprings by attempting this effort. Good Luck,

    RMD

  7. #6
    Member JohnnyKarate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,976

    Re: Watch runs fast even after turning the regulating screw to slow it down (SW200-1)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Duckworth View Post
    If I recall correctly, the "little screw" is for fine adjustment only. The regulator seem to be just hidden under the edge of the rotor. If you choose to move this, go carefully, many have ruined hairsprings by attempting this effort. Good Luck,

    RMD
    Thanks. I think i'll leave that to a watch maker lol.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Anglesey, UK
    Posts
    1,546

    Re: Watch runs fast even after turning the regulating screw to slow it down (SW200-1)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Duckworth View Post
    If I recall correctly, the "little screw" is for fine adjustment only. The regulator seem to be just hidden under the edge of the rotor. If you choose to move this, go carefully, many have ruined hairsprings by attempting this effort. Good Luck,

    RMD
    This.

    Although, assuming no-one else has been in there and changed it, there should be no reason at all to alter the regulation from one service to the next. In fact, if a service is done properly and the watch was correctly set up by the maker, there should be no reason to alter the regulation even at service - it should drop straight back to it's original performance once the work's done.

    Unless (unlikely) it left Tag Heuer running 25 sec / day fast, any adjustment is likely to be covering the fact that the watch needs servicing.

  9. #8
    Member JohnnyKarate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,976

    Re: Watch runs fast even after turning the regulating screw to slow it down (SW200-1)

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Horner View Post
    This.

    Although, assuming no-one else has been in there and changed it, there should be no reason at all to alter the regulation from one service to the next. In fact, if a service is done properly and the watch was correctly set up by the maker, there should be no reason to alter the regulation even at service - it should drop straight back to it's original performance once the work's done.

    Unless (unlikely) it left Tag Heuer running 25 sec / day fast, any adjustment is likely to be covering the fact that the watch needs servicing.
    So it's possible an SW200/ETA 2824 could need a service after 2 - 3 years ? Does that mean a full service where the dial and everything comes off ?

    Thanks.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Anglesey, UK
    Posts
    1,546

    Re: Watch runs fast even after turning the regulating screw to slow it down (SW200-1)

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyKarate View Post
    So it's possible an SW200/ETA 2824 could need a service after 2 - 3 years ? Does that mean a full service where the dial and everything comes off ?

    Thanks.
    Yes, because the movement is likely to be a fair bit older than the model release date.

    Sellita make the movement. It may or may not sit in stock with them for a while.
    The movement arrives at TH. It probably goes into stock for a while.
    TH put the movement into a watch. They're producing stock for a new model release, maybe 6 months ahead of the launch date so they have stock to launch with.
    The watches are shipped out to the dealers, where they go into stock.

    Now, for almost all of that time (which may be well be over a year), the movement isn't running which isn't a great way to treat them.

    It then gets sold and has 3 years of use, by which time it's 4 - 5 years old and due service.

    And, yes, a service involves a full strip down. Anything less is a bodge.
    Benjamin Barrera likes this.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •