Watch Service (Clean and Lube) Question!

Thread: Watch Service (Clean and Lube) Question!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Watch Service (Clean and Lube) Question!

Does anyone know what the "average" service to an ETA 2824 or 6497 equipped watch should cost? I was just looking at the RGM website and their service cost on "most modern watches" is $350!!! GOOD GOD!!! If that's the case I'm gonna sell all my mechanicals and buy a Quartz Tuna!!! I honestly love mechanical watches. To me, all the little moving parts are an engineering wonder and I love listening to the cool little heartbeat of a mechanical balance. When I got into collecting I figured maybe $150 every 4 years or so ain't so bad, but $350 for 4 watches every 4 years, no thanks.... I'd be better off to just buy a new movement and install it myself!
    Best regards,

Dan

"I was up above it. Now I'm down in it." ...Trent Reznor

Re: Watch Service (Clean and Lube) Question!

It's about 80 US dollars for a full service in Swatch Group China, go for a trip:).
    Tuna is awesome!

The 6497/8 should be one of the easiest movements to have serviced. When I first got into this hobby a few years back I tried to find some local watch repair persons and asked about servicing costs. It annoyed me to no end when they would look at the face of the watch to see the brand name and use that to determine the servicing costs.

I've paid right around $100 to have a watch serviced with the manual wind movements. A 2824 might cost a little more. I've even sent a few watches to Glycine's service center in New York and the servicing costs were also $100 or so (and the crystal replacements and dial changes were also very reasonable)

I know that some of the higher priced watches do charge much more for a service, but unless there's something unique about a movement or some other work needs to be done to the watch, a competent watch maker should be able to service these for a reasonable cost. I would also prefer to have the work done on site rather than having the watch sent through the mail twice.

Also, while everyone may have a different opinion on how often a watch needs to be serviced, I figure I'm fine with only having the watch serviced if I see some problem with it. Sure, if I had only one watch then perhaps it should be serviced every 4-5 years or so, but with all of the watches that I own any given watch may only have a few months of wrist time in five years. I doubt they all need to be serviced every few years.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by HilltopMichael View Post
    The 6497/8 should be one of the easiest movements to have serviced. When I first got into this hobby a few years back I tried to find some local watch repair persons and asked about servicing costs. It annoyed me to no end when they would look at the face of the watch to see the brand name and use that to determine the servicing costs.

I've paid right around $100 to have a watch serviced with the manual wind movements. A 2824 might cost a little more. I've even sent a few watches to Glycine's service center in New York and the servicing costs were also $100 or so (and the crystal replacements and dial changes were also very reasonable)

I know that some of the higher priced watches do charge much more for a service, but unless there's something unique about a movement or some other work needs to be done to the watch, a competent watch maker should be able to service these for a reasonable cost. I would also prefer to have the work done on site rather than having the watch sent through the mail twice.

Also, while everyone may have a different opinion on how often a watch needs to be serviced, I figure I'm fine with only having the watch serviced if I see some problem with it. Sure, if I had only one watch then perhaps it should be serviced every 4-5 years or so, but with all of the watches that I own any given watch may only have a few months of wrist time in five years. I doubt they all need to be serviced every few years.
    Thanks Hilltop! That's more like it....

My problem is finding a local watchmaker that I trust. I'm one of those guys that do all my own car repairs because I don't trust mechanics! That's just a silly Ford Explorer, so you can imagine, when it comes to my watches, I'm really hesitant to hand them over to someone else. I guess I've just had to many run-ins with incompetent individuals who don't seem to take any pride in their work... I've had experiences with 2 local watchmakers and neither one of them left me feeling warm and fuzzy.

Anybody have any recommendations for a watchmaker near Reading/Lancaster/Philadelphia PA?
    Best regards,

Dan

"I was up above it. Now I'm down in it." ...Trent Reznor

Why not consider a new movement!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy1972 View Post
    Anybody have any recommendations for a watchmaker near Reading/Lancaster/Philadelphia PA?
    My watchmaker is 3rd generation, and trained in Switzerland in the same building that the Beta 21 was developed. I've never heard the slightest complaint from anyone I've referred to him. Here's his contact info:

Sam Kalter
    120 South 7th St (NW corner of 7th & Sansom - aka Jeweler's Row)
    Philadelphia, PA 19106
    (215) 629-1022

You can tell him Dennis recommended you. I will not gain one cent financially from this as I won't let him give me a discount on his already very reasonable rate. He's a real straight shooter.

Sounds a good chap to know!!

So few decent watchmakers in the UK, partly why I started watch work!

phd

Stumpy - why not learn to service them yourself? I learned the basics recently, and it's honestly not that difficult if you are patient and conscientious. If you have a mechanical mind, spend the money on a set of tools and a few cheap watches to practice on - it's very satisfying.

Last edited by watchmag; April 8th, 2009 at 11:21.

Registration required... I guess I need to set myself up as a business...

Clair
    The Originals, Summer / Winter
    Android Octopus on Oyster
    Citizen Tiny Pilot Eco-Drive Mod on Mesh
    Longines Dolce Vita on OEM Bracelet
    Omega SM300 Chronometer on Mesh
    OWC Milsub 5517 on Oyster

OWC Snowflake 9401 on Mesh
    Rolex 6564 on Rivets

Seiko SNN209 Chronograph on OEM Bracelet
    Seiko Bell-Matic Gold on Zulu

Suunto Core Light Green