What's happening with my new Stowa?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: What's happening with my new Stowa?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What's happening with my new Stowa?

Hey folks!

I picked up a new Marine Original directly from Stowa about three weeks ago and noticed that it's been running fast. However, it's very irregular. I monitored it and noticed that there are many hours at a time it runs fine, and then suddenly spikes to running several dozen seconds fast for a short period, then returns to normal. The net affect I'm seeing is it's overall increasing time, but even across a span of many hours it runs with no variance.

I popped it on a timing machine and caught a sample of the erratic behavior I'm speaking of and wanted to get an opinion. It's a new watch - is there anything weird at play with the hairspring? My other watches do not have this erratic timing.
    Name:  IMG_20190401_200231.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  3.53 MBName:  IMG_20190401_200557 (1).jpg
Views: 129
Size:  3.10 MBName:  IMG_20190401_200652.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  3.48 MBName:  IMG_20190401_200353 (1).jpg
Views: 130
Size:  3.44 MB

Re: What's happening with my new Stowa?

I'd say it's a pallet issue.

It's rebanking. What movement does it have?
    Deli likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Boy, am I glad I got a 1900.
    So long as it compiles, spelling errors really aren't an issue, are they?
    Sent from my brain using fingers.
    If watches have a soul, does that mean they get dizzy in a winder?

Quote Originally Posted by maillchort View Post
    It's rebanking. What movement does it have?
    What's rebanking? Overbanking I've heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOneMore View Post
    What's rebanking? Overbanking I've heard of.
    Rebanking is when there is too much amplitude and the roller jewel hits the wrong side of the fork. Overbanking is when the safety action of the fork (fork horns and/or guard pin) are incorrect and the fork ends up banked on the wrong side. The term overbanking gets used for rebanking all the time, but they aren't the same thing.
    BenchGuy likes this.

Rebanking is when there is too much amplitude and the roller jewel hits the wrong side of the fork. Overbanking is when the safety action of the fork (fork horns and/or guard pin) are incorrect and the fork ends up banked on the wrong side. The term overbanking gets used for rebanking all the time, but they aren't the same thing.
    What would cause this from the factory? I can understand if someone installed an incorrect mainspring, but directly from Stowa I would think this would be very unlikely. Could it be the roller pin causing the erratic noise?

It seems they rework the movements a fair bit from their stock condition, it's possible that an overeager watchmaker went a little far in adjusting the escapement and it went out the door without ample testing. Sometimes a watch can gain a fair bit of amplitude in the days following a service. Also, while I wouldn't expect it from an ETA product, I've worked on small series of new calibers that just seem to "wear in" over a period of a month or two. On one project we had quite a few come back with far too much amplitude. But this was on a series of maybe 50 pieces, unique caliber. The 649X has been around in its current state for quite some time and ETA knows what it's doing.

It seems they rework the movements a fair bit from their stock condition, it's possible that an overeager watchmaker went a little far in adjusting the escapement and it went out the door without ample testing. Sometimes a watch can gain a fair bit of amplitude in the days following a service. Also, while I wouldn't expect it from an ETA product, I've worked on small series of new calibers that just seem to "wear in" over a period of a month or two. On one project we had quite a few come back with far too much amplitude. But this was on a series of maybe 50 pieces, unique caliber. The 649X has been around in its current state for quite some time and ETA knows what it's doing.
    If this is a 649X, then it would be unusual to see rebanking at around 300 degrees. I've seen them at 320 with no rebanking, so although I agree the pattern looks to be typical for rebanking, the amplitude doesn't match up with what I would expect to see.

I wonder if this is another movement with a different lift angle, and the machine may be set to 44 in error. This would show a lower amplitude than actual, which would then make sense that it was rebanking at such a low number...

Yeah. I've had at least one go from a disappointing 230 to an acceptable 280 over the course of 4 days.
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information