WHERE TO BUY LUMINUOS POWDER
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Misterpeter

Thread: WHERE TO BUY LUMINUOS POWDER

nuj

WHERE TO BUY LUMINUOS POWDER

hello to all,
    i was wondering if anyone can help me find a seller for luminous powder to be used on my watch re luming project. the local lume we have here in the philippines easily decays just under an hour and it doesnt come in a kit. without the right binder and thinner, it would be hard to do a repair. i tried using clear topcoat and acrylic thinner but its no good. i also tried using clear glue, to no success.
    also i did find some seller at ebay but payment is thru payapl. i dont have any credit card so it wont do. i am willing to pay by means of western union,
    any help is greatly appreciated.

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"
    familiaritas parit contemptum; raritate admiratione wins.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

nuj

Re: WHERE TO BUY LUMINUOS POWDER

hello lysanderxii,
    thank you very much for the links. now all i have to do is acquire the lume and begin my re lume project.

regards
    nuj

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've had some luck at findingking.com for small amounts. In case anyone else is looking

FindingKing - Shop Jewelers Tools, Displays, Boxes, Charms, Jewelry, Beads and Much More!
    Cheers!
    Craig M.
    Somerville, MA
    The Escapement Watch Blog
    The Escapement on Twitter

“If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker.” - Albert Einstein

Watches:
    Breitling Super Avenger Chronograph . Rolex Rebberg Trench Watch . Tag Heuer F1 Chrono . Tissot T-Touch . Tissot T-Race . Million Smart Flying Tourbillon . Zodiac Dragon Wing . Invicta Skeleton 3379 . Invicta Pro Diver 8926 . Scooby-Doo Chrono [A7750] . Alpha "Sea" . Alpha Jump Hour . Vostok CK-1 Orange . Poljot 2614.2H Movement . Gruen Quartz 'Soviet' . G-Shock GW300A-1V / G9000-8V 'Stormtrooper' . Timex Perpetual Calender . Vintage Helbros [Felsa 690 Mvt] ....Among others

Go Yankees!

nuj

thanks to all the effort in helping me look for lume seller in the net. unfortunately, i still have to find one thats accept western union payment because i dont anymore used credit card.

regards
    nuj

Ive been searching for some modder that want to lume my trithium dials with no luck. And ive been trying the same lumepowders as you i think

I have been promised glow for overnight if mixed properly with this lume Gxtreme $25 for 2g :) and i ordered just now. Ask them via mail if they accept we, they are flexible. Next step is tritec that demands somewhere around $50/gram
    Last edited by surbarbro; April 26th, 2012 at 06:35.

Misterpeter

Those are expensive products indeed...

Reluming hands is easy, reluming a dial is not. It does more harm than anything.

Unless you want some fancy tritec-alpha thermonuclear razorblade-glowing like the sun, you don't have to buy it from watchmaking suppliers.
    There's what you need in any general supplier of materials for graphic and arts students.

What you'll need is:
    - any luminous powder
    - clear acrylic varnish (good quality)
    - toothpicks

Put your cleaned hands (underside up) on the toothpicks, or get this tool, it's easier :

Initially, it's used when you broach to open the hands' hole.
    Prepare the powder+varnish mix: about 2/3-1/3 works for me. Depending on your products, do your tests before.

Pick a light drop of mix on a toothpick, apply it on a single continuous movement. Because of the capillarity, the mix will fill the space. If you're not satisfied, put the hand in acetone, or better : acetone and ultrasonics for a couple of minutes.

The result will be related to the powder's colour (i.e. white with a light green tint).
    If you want something vintage-looking, get ashes grey, sienna, mustard, light orange or light chestnut powder pigment. The cheaper the better here, you want a tint, not a deep colour that will lessen the glowing effect.

Wait for a few hours to dry before putting the hands back on the dial.
    Last edited by Misterpeter; April 26th, 2012 at 13:08.
    surbarbro likes this.

nuj

hello,
    i have been doing some experiments with our local lume and with the binder/thinner. i'm currently using acrylic clear top coat and acrylic thinner. 1:3 ratio. i think this is right raio for the binder. as for my lume, it sucks, it decays fast and can't hold it lume, 30 minutes at best. that the reason i'm searching for a lume seller that takes payment in western union. the cost is no problem at long as it hold a lume long enough to see at night. 24 hours is good enough for me.
    thank you again for the info guys. hope to do a re lume soon.

Have you ever seen a supplier of watches or luminous compounds claim glow for 24 hours after charge?

Have you asked tritec? if they take we? They are for sure one of the best. Dunno exactly how good but the powder they sell is most likely one of the top 5 compounds (my own guess) i would be disappointed if it was no good for $50/gram

If i get good results with the latest powder i ordered i may post some pics/review of the result and put some up for sale.. Powder that is. But i seriously doubt the sellers claims are true all the way.
    Last edited by surbarbro; April 28th, 2012 at 11:08.

Thread Information