My (most likely fake) PRC 200

Thread: My (most likely fake) PRC 200

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My (most likely fake) PRC 200

I see there are a lot of threads on here pertaining to fake Tissots, and I am loathe to add to this, but those who are sorrowful must seek solace by recounting their tales of woe to sympathetic ears.

I bought what was billed as a new Tissot PRC 200 through one of the sellers on Amazon.com (WatchZone). It was about 40% off retail price. I am new to watch collecting and figured dealers on Amazon were safer.

When I got the watch, I noticed two things: 1) it would not keep a charge overnight as my other automatics do; and 2) it would sometimes stop while it was on my wrist. So I was suspicious. I took it to a watch-maker (who I have used to clean and repair some vintage Omegas) and he said it was a "copy." There's no reason for me not to believe or trust this man with 40 years experience.

I contacted the seller to request a refund. They said it was past the 30 day return period and offered to ship the watch to Tissot to be repaired. I explained that a fake watch that ran perfectly was still a fake. They assured me unceremoniously that they did not sell fake watches. I obviously don't trust them at this point, and there is no way I am just sending the watch back for "repair." Who knows what they would send me back.

So now I have filed a claim with Amazon and we'll see what happens. This weekend I am taking the watch to another local watch-maker for a second opinion.

I've been through the threads on here detailing how to spot a fake, and as far as I can tell the box it came in is up to the standard. I don't have a great camera, but some pics of the face are below.

Any words anyone has to offer are appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by BrooklineWatch; October 29th, 2010 at 04:12.

sci

Re: My (most likely fake) PRC 200

I think you shouldn't hurry with the claim until you are not sure the watch is really fake. PRC 200 auto comes also with the new caliber ETA C01.211 AFAIK, which for a skilled watchmaker could look like a cheap copy compared to Valjoux 7750 for example. And the caliber is too new, some watchmakers never have seen it before.

Quote Originally Posted by sci View Post
    I think you shouldn't hurry with the claim until you are not sure the watch is really fake. PRC 200 auto comes also with the new caliber ETA C01.211 AFAIK, which for a skilled watchmaker could look like a cheap copy compared to Valjoux 7750 for example. And the caliber is too new, some watchmakers never have seen it before.
    That is indeed the movement in this watch. Hmmmm....

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nothing in your photographs points to it being a fake. It just may have a bum movement.

YRB

Name:  Prc 200 open back.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  746.4 KB

I had a chance to open my PRC 200 and it looks like this. Do you think its a fake ? It had a circular metal cover on top of this.

It looks like an ETA movement so you should be okay, the metal cover is correct too.

This is the ETA's lowest grade movement you'll find. Still, it's a genuine Tissot.
    The battery isn't a Renata, but you already know it I think.

Okay I'm late to the party but.... The dial in the 1st photos says "Automatic" but the movement in the other photo has a battery. I may be wrong but automatic movements don't use a battery. At least, I know of none that do?? What's up with that?

They make watches with both mechanical and quartz movements.

I must say that Tissot are really crappy nowadays.

Compare that quartz movement with this vintage automatic they used to make.

Name:  1000312.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  258.0 KB
    If they made movements like this even I would buy a modern watch.

Quote Originally Posted by WillytheWimp View Post
    .... The dial in the 1st photos says "Automatic" but the movement in the other photo has a battery. I may be wrong but automatic movements don't use a battery.
    Totally agree.
    For me this is fake.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information